Topics

How's Tichy doing currently, decal thickness and all?

Bill Welch

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 01:33 AM, Fred Jansz wrote:
speaking about PFE decals;
wish someone would print the 'inverted' UP herald as (accidentally) used on the R-30-16 (and maybe others).
fun to add to one of my Sunshine R-30-16's.
cheers,
Fred Jansz
I have 3-5 photos of cars with the reversed Red and White strips. Toward the end Champ was custom printing their art work and I had them print this version for me with extras to give to a few friends. I used mine on one of the late Terry Wegman's kit-bash kits using his roof and Red Caboose body to do my 30-16. Dick Harley reminds me occasionally that the "Union Pacific" lettering is not quite correct but I can live with it. Perhaps you should approach "Musk Island" about doing version. Microscale also has the art work via Dick and they custom print decal too.

Bill Welch

Tony Thompson

Fred Jansz wrote:

speaking about PFE decals;
wish someone would print the 'inverted' UP herald as (accidentally) used on the R-30-16 (and maybe others).
fun to add to one of my Sunshine R-30-16's.

    Talk about rarities! These certainly did exist but since they contradicted the lettering drawing (and we know PFE did care about that), they were definitely unusual. But of course modelers love the rare and peculiar. Not always sure I understand why.

Tony Thompson

tyesac@aol.com <tyesac@...>

Perhaps it could be called the "Stamp Collector Syndrome", as in the desire not to collect a quantity of the typical, but a menagerie of the unusual.

Tom Casey

red Jansz wrote:

[...]

Or maybe we just want to have fun. Our money, time, business, etc.

Bill Welch

Fred Jansz

Tom: I already have a collection of the typical, now I want the a-typical, for it to stand out among the typical.
Tony: because there's a picture of such an inverted herald on a '16' in your book and I like to model from photos.
cheers,
Fred Jansz

Tony Thompson

Fred Jansz wrote:

Tony: because there's a picture of such an inverted herald on a '16' in your book and I like to model from photos.

    No problem, Fred, of course it's your call. In my own case, I have more than 60 PFE reefer models, but not one reversed-stripe car nor a single aluminum car. Too rare for me.

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor

Although I have not compared them with Dick's new Microscale sets (which are more complete
and certainly easier to use) to Champ's old PFE super-set, I used the Champ set to replace
most of the lettering that came with a Sunshine kit as I found it was extremely accurate.

On 11/14/2019 9:16 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:
Dick Harley wrote:

Tichy PFE decals have lettering that is the wrong size and shape - some too big, some too small.  The numbers are the wrong size, and their shape is nowhere near what PFE (and SP and UP) used.  The UP medallions are the wrong shape and style.

Compare lettering to the SPH&TS painting & lettering book, or new Microscale sets 87-501 or 60-501.  Compare medallions to the book or Microscale 87-414 or MC-4021.
Tichy's PFE artwork is just not accurate - or even close.

     Dick is exactly right. I haven't bought any Tichy PFE decals, because I rely on the "gold standard," the new Microscale sets with Dick's superb artwork, taken from PFE drawings. But I recently looked at a friend's PFE set from TIchy, and as Dick says, not even close. I have no idea what, if anything, these decals are based on, but obviously not the prototype. Caveat emptor.

Tony Thompson

Sterling, Massachusetts