Hygrade ~1600 series

nyc3001 .

Hi guys,

On Terry Link's canadasouthern site is a consist with two HFPX reefers numbered 1614 and 1618. Does anyone have more information about this series? I would like to model a Hygrade's reefer but know little about them.

-Phil Lee

Steve SANDIFER

I don’t know how correct it is, but Red Caboose produced a Mather wood meat reefer with Hygrade on it about 20 years ago. I have one HFPX 2793. I believe Hygrade was formed in 1951. I look forward to this discussion.

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of nyc3001 .
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2021 4:08 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Hygrade ~1600 series

Hi guys,

On Terry Link's canadasouthern site is a consist with two HFPX reefers numbered 1614 and 1618. Does anyone have more information about this series? I would like to model a Hygrade's reefer but know little about them.

-Phil Lee

Richard Townsend

From my ORERs:

Jan. 38 HFPX 1400-1499 40 cars. These were 37' cars.
             HFPX 1600-1699 20 cars. These were 41' cars, with 4' doors, 12'9" to top of running board
             Listed under Mather Stock Car Co.

Jan. 43 HFPX 1400-1499 24 cars
             HFPX 1600-1699 5 cars

Oct. 52 No reefers
             HYTX tank cars. 4 cars

July 52 Nothing for Hygrade

Jan. 58 Many classes of Hygrade reefers under KGNX reporting marks. No 1600s. These were Kingan reporting marks earlier, though Kingan is not called out in this ORER. Makes me speculate that Hygrade took over Kingan. A little research shows Hygrade took over Kingan in 1952.
             Listed under General American

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mon, May 17, 2021 6:40 pm
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Hygrade ~1600 series

I don’t know how correct it is, but Red Caboose produced a Mather wood meat reefer with Hygrade on it about 20 years ago. I have one HFPX 2793. I believe Hygrade was formed in 1951. I look forward to this discussion.

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of nyc3001 .

Hi guys,

-Phil Lee

Richard Townsend

I should have added that in the Jan. 43 ORER there were three other classes of HFPX reefers: 700-710, 7 cars; 712-741, 29 cars; and 831-881, 12 cars.

Many years ago MR had an article about developing a numbering system for locomotives. The title was something like "Developing a loco numbering system." On seeing this, my wife asked why anyone would want to have a crazy numbering system. Too bad we can't ask Hygrade about its loco numbering system.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

To: steve.sandifer@... <steve.sandifer@...>; main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, May 17, 2021 7:57 pm

From my ORERs:

Jan. 38 HFPX 1400-1499 40 cars. These were 37' cars.
             HFPX 1600-1699 20 cars. These were 41' cars, with 4' doors, 12'9" to top of running board

Jan. 43 HFPX 1400-1499 24 cars
             HFPX 1600-1699 5 cars

Oct. 52 No reefers
             HYTX tank cars. 4 cars

July 52 Nothing for Hygrade

Jan. 58 Many classes of Hygrade reefers under KGNX reporting marks. No 1600s. These were Kingan reporting marks earlier, though Kingan is not called out in this ORER. Makes me speculate that Hygrade took over Kingan. A little research shows Hygrade took over Kingan in 1952.
             Listed under General American

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Sent: Mon, May 17, 2021 6:40 pm

J. Stephen Sandifer

Hi guys,

-Phil Lee

Douglas Harding

This is what I have on HyGrade the company. I do not have anything on their reefers, and all my reference material is packed for an upcoming move.

Hygrade Food Products dates back to the 1800s. To Central Hanover Bank & Trust in 1929

The Storm Lake IA plant was opened in 1935 by Kingan & Co of Indianapolis and Nash Brothers. Kingan bought out Nash Brothers in 1937. Kingan was purchased by HyGrade in 1952.

In April 1982, IBP bought the old Storm Lake plant from Hygrade for $2.5 million. The Storm Lake workers were not welcomed back. Hundreds applied for positions at the new plant, but fewer than thirty were hired. Wages averaged $7 per hour, or $14,600 per year – less than half the average salary of the old workers. IBP imported a largely immigrant work force to man the plant.

Hygrade purchased Carstens Packing Co of Tacoma WA in 1952 and closed the plant in 1990. Carstens was the largest independent meat packer on the west coast.

HyGrade purchased Kingan of Indianapolis in 1954

HyGrade acquired F Schenk & Sons of Wheeling OH

Hygrade sold to Sara Lee in 1989

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve SANDIFER
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2021 8:40 PM

J. Stephen Sandifer

Hi guys,

-Phil Lee

Douglas Harding

I do have one photo of a HyGrade reefer, circa 1929. The attached photo is of the loading area of the Decker meat plant in Mason City, from a Decker Brochure. The reefer with the prominent “Decker” on the side is actually a Mather Reefer leased to HyGrade, the reporting marks are partially visible on the end of the car. The late Richard Hendrickson made the identification.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Douglas Harding via groups.io
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2021 10:23 PM

This is what I have on HyGrade the company. I do not have anything on their reefers, and all my reference material is packed for an upcoming move.

Hygrade Food Products dates back to the 1800s. To Central Hanover Bank & Trust in 1929

The Storm Lake IA plant was opened in 1935 by Kingan & Co of Indianapolis and Nash Brothers. Kingan bought out Nash Brothers in 1937. Kingan was purchased by HyGrade in 1952.

In April 1982, IBP bought the old Storm Lake plant from Hygrade for $2.5 million. The Storm Lake workers were not welcomed back. Hundreds applied for positions at the new plant, but fewer than thirty were hired. Wages averaged $7 per hour, or $14,600 per year – less than half the average salary of the old workers. IBP imported a largely immigrant work force to man the plant.

Hygrade purchased Carstens Packing Co of Tacoma WA in 1952 and closed the plant in 1990. Carstens was the largest independent meat packer on the west coast.

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve SANDIFER

J. Stephen Sandifer

Hi guys,

-Phil Lee

Schuyler Larrabee

Interesting tank car off to the left, also marked “Hygrade.”

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Douglas Harding
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2021 11:45 PM

I do have one photo of a HyGrade reefer, circa 1929. The attached photo is of the loading area of the Decker meat plant in Mason City, from a Decker Brochure. The reefer with the prominent “Decker” on the side is actually a Mather Reefer leased to HyGrade, the reporting marks are partially visible on the end of the car. The late Richard Hendrickson made the identification.

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Douglas Harding via groups.io

J. Stephen Sandifer

Hi guys,

-Phil Lee

Douglas Harding

Actually the tankcars are marked Jacob E Decker JEDX 50-73, leased from North American Car Co.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2021 10:54 PM

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Douglas Harding

J. Stephen Sandifer

Hi guys,

-Phil Lee

Schuyler Larrabee

Doug, you are entirely correct.  Shouldn’t make posts that late at night, I guess.  Apologies.

Schuyler

Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2021 12:36 AM

Actually the tankcars are marked Jacob E Decker JEDX 50-73, leased from North American Car Co.

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2021 10:54 PM

Schuyler

J. Stephen Sandifer

Hi guys,

-Phil Lee

nyc3001 .

Thanks for the info. I'm just seeing these comments now and realized I didn't post the consist.

http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/freight-consists-111744.htm

Interesting that both HFPX reefers in this one train are from the same very small series according to Richard's post.

-Phil

Richard Townsend

That's quite an interesting consist. The first car is a dry ice car.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Sent: Wed, May 19, 2021 12:00 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm just seeing these comments now and realized I didn't post the consist.

Interesting that both HFPX reefers in this one train are from the same very small series according to Richard's post.

-Phil

Tim O'Connor

And a single load of cattle for... Bangor, Maine!! Wow.

Tim O'Connor

On 5/19/2021 3:00 PM, nyc3001 . wrote:

-Phil

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts