Topics

IC green and yellow refrigerators

Lester Breuer

I see models from different manufactures of IC metal side refrigerators with yellow paint and green lettering on sides and some with black, or boxcar red or green ends and roof. Did any of these schemes appear in a prototype?  I ask this as search of archieves did not produce an answer.  Thank you in advance for help.
Lester Breuer

Andy Cich

Lester,

The answer to your question is yes. See Ted Culotta’s Reference Manual #3, Refrigerator Cars, for black and white photos. Ted mentions the color scheme in the text. See Gene Green’s reefer book for color photos with NRC reporting marks. The IC Historical Society Magazine, The Green Diamond, April 1997 issue covered banana traffic on the railroad and offers good insight into the operation of these cars.

Stan Rydarowicz offered kits for the IC reefers. I am fortunate to have 2. See attached photos.

Andy Cich

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lester Breuer
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 9:01 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] IC green and yellow refrigerators

I see models from different manufactures of IC metal side refrigerators with yellow paint and green lettering on sides and some with black, or boxcar red or green ends and roof. Did any of these schemes appear in a prototype?  I ask this as search of archieves did not produce an answer.  Thank you in advance for help.
Lester Breuer

Bill Welch

Sunshine offered a kit of the IC steel reefer too.

Bill Welch

Bruce Smith

Lester,

I'm not sure why your search of the archives wasn't successful. A simple "IC reefer" got 155 messages from which it was easy to pull out the paint and lettering information. Now, I will admit that the information in those messages can be confusing and at times contradictory. The old search engine got every hit for "ice reefer" but the new one seems pretty good at pulling out the "IC".

The scheme on these Illinois Central refrigerator cars is pretty cool, and changed over time. In the interests of sanity (so it won't drive you "bananas" so to speak!), I have summarized what I have learned (in the process of gathering information for my 2 kits from Stan R).

As built 
50000-50299, 1937, square corner ends
yellow-orange sides, black underbody (including side tabs), olive green lettering, herald, ends, side sill and soffit stripe, ladders, grabs, side tack boards, door hardware, aluminum roof.

50300-50499, 1940-42, round corner ends
yellow-orange sides, black underbody (including side tabs), olive green lettering, herald, ends, and side sill stripe, and olive green roof.

Note that side tack boards were painted a contrasting olive or black at some point. 

Post WWII (1945), these cars were: 
yellow-orange sides, black ends, black underbody (including side tabs), roof, green lettering, herald and side sill stripe.

Mid to late 1950s - MDT/NRC scheme - orange sides, box car red roof, ends, black underbody, side sill/tabs, black lettering, green IC diamond. Some cars may have had black ends. 

A suggestion for the olive green was Southern Green, lightened slightly with white.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, Al

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...>
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 9:01 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] IC green and yellow refrigerators

Lester Breuer

mopacfirst

I think there's one at McComb, Mississippi, on the west side of the main line right opposite the station.  It's under roof, along with some stuff that's not freight cars.  I've only seen the side of it that you can see from the train.  It's probably in the last scheme.

This car has significance for me because the line that brought the banana cars to my city was the MP, from St. Louis I presume.

Ron Merrick

pennsylvania1954

Google Maps is a help. Search for McComb MS. Over to the right, click on McComb Railroad Museum. Click on the museum photo at upper left to get a street view at the museum. Now you can "walk" down the street and turn left to get a partial view of the steel IC ice reefer behind the steam engine. Seems to be white, maybe light grey, on sides, end, and roof with black lettering. Nice that this is all under a roof. Sorry, Lester; this isn't any help for you.
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

mopacfirst

I do have two photos of the McComb car, had to bracket the car because of the closeness to the track.  I agree they're useless for paint, but perhaps interesting for detail.  This car has extended sidesill reinforcements, six-rung ladders and round-corner ends.  It's numbered 51000, so I'm not sure how it relates to the cars discussed here.

How close is the Intermountain 'R-40-10' to the car being discussed, specifically the first series?

Ron Merrick

Tony Thompson

Ron Merrick wrote:

I do have two photos of the McComb car, had to bracket the car because of the closeness to the track.  I agree they're useless for paint, but perhaps interesting for detail.  This car has extended sidesill reinforcements, six-rung ladders and round-corner ends.  It's numbered 51000, so I'm not sure how it relates to the cars discussed here.

The real 51000 was an aluminum car. Could this possibly, actually, be that car?

Tony Thompson

mopacfirst

For comparison to the photos that someone else may have of this car when it was new ----

This car has certainly been painted, including some graffiti removal efforts.  The black hardware may also be a clue, assuming that whoever painted the car last followed the original scheme.  I'll say the stenciling looks good, not crude the way some restorers who don't understand the purpose of the stenciling try to do.

Ron Merrick

mopacfirst

Replying to my own post ---

On second thought, maybe the aluminum is not painted.  I'm looking at the black rivets in the sidesills.

RG7

Richard Townsend

I can't say whether it is or isn't, but everything I see in the photos is consistent with the original aluminum IC 51000. The extended sill, the extended tabs at the bolsters, the locations of the various tack boards, the fan plate, end type, ladders and handholds, all are the same. For those who care, it was built in 1946. It was built with a Duryea underframe, ASF A-3 Ride Control trucks, Morton running board and brake step.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jul 15, 2020 10:32 am
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] IC green and yellow refrigerators

Ron Merrick wrote:

The real 51000 was an aluminum car. Could this possibly, actually, be that car?

Tony Thompson

Jeffrey White

Ron,

IC 5100 is on display at McComb MS.  It was the only car built and the only one in the natural aluminum finish.  It was built in 1946.

Jeff White

Alma, IL

On 7/15/2020 10:08 AM, mopacfirst wrote:
I think there's one at McComb, Mississippi, on the west side of the main line right opposite the station.  It's under roof, along with some stuff that's not freight cars.  I've only seen the side of it that you can see from the train.  It's probably in the last scheme.

This car has significance for me because the line that brought the banana cars to my city was the MP, from St. Louis I presume.

Ron Merrick

Bill Welch

Fruit Growers Express also built an aluminum reefer in 1946—FGEX 40000—and exhibited it widely within its territory before being putting into service. It rode on Roller Bearing Andrews trucks. It was rebuilt in late 1957-early 1958 with new electric fans, new aluminum sheathing, and a built-in underslung heater and commensurate piping under the floor racks. It was sold for scrap in the early 1970's. With its Improved Dreadnaught ends it looks very much like a PFE 40-23.

Bill Welch

Tim O'Connor

The car in McComb is the IC aluminum ice reefer.

On 7/15/2020 1:55 PM, mopacfirst wrote:
Replying to my own post ---

On second thought, maybe the aluminum is not painted.  I'm looking at the black rivets in the sidesills.

RG7

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts