From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lester Breuer
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 9:01 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] IC green and yellow refrigerators

I see models from different manufactures of IC metal side refrigerators with yellow paint and green lettering on sides and some with black, or boxcar red or green ends and roof. Did any of these schemes appear in a prototype?  I ask this as search of archieves did not produce an answer.  Thank you in advance for help.
Lester Breuer

Bill Welch

Sunshine offered a kit of the IC steel reefer too.

Bill Welch

Bruce Smith

Lester,

I'm not sure why your search of the archives wasn't successful. A simple "IC reefer" got 155 messages from which it was easy to pull out the paint and lettering information. Now, I will admit that the information in those messages can be confusing and at times contradictory. The old search engine got every hit for "ice reefer" but the new one seems pretty good at pulling out the "IC".

The scheme on these Illinois Central refrigerator cars is pretty cool, and changed over time. In the interests of sanity (so it won't drive you "bananas" so to speak!), I have summarized what I have learned (in the process of gathering information for my 2 kits from Stan R).

As built
50000-50299, 1937, square corner ends
yellow-orange sides, black underbody (including side tabs), olive green lettering, herald, ends, side sill and soffit stripe, ladders, grabs, side tack boards, door hardware, aluminum roof.

50300-50499, 1940-42, round corner ends
yellow-orange sides, black underbody (including side tabs), olive green lettering, herald, ends, and side sill stripe, and olive green roof.

Note that side tack boards were painted a contrasting olive or black at some point.

Post WWII (1945), these cars were:
yellow-orange sides, black ends, black underbody (including side tabs), roof, green lettering, herald and side sill stripe.

Mid to late 1950s - MDT/NRC scheme - orange sides, box car red roof, ends, black underbody, side sill/tabs, black lettering, green IC diamond. Some cars may have had black ends.

A suggestion for the olive green was Southern Green, lightened slightly with white.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, Al