Topics

ice refrigerator car

Tony Thompson

  I've recently completed a Westerfield kit, no. 10864, for a Santa Fe ice car conversion. A photo of the model is below. I have also written a summary of ice car operations, as they apply on my layout, as well as an explanation of the presence of a Santa Fe car like this on an SP layout. If you're interested, the link is below.

Tony Thompson
tony@...

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Surprised the coupler box extends that far on a truss rod car.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tony Thompson <tony@...>
Date: Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 1:38 PM
To: <ResinFreightCarBuilders@groups.io>, <RealSTMFC@groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] ice refrigerator car

  I've recently completed a Westerfield kit, no. 10864, for a Santa Fe ice car conversion. A photo of the model is below. I have also written a summary of ice car operations, as they apply on my layout, as well as an explanation of the presence of a Santa Fe car like this on an SP layout. If you're interested, the link is below.

Tony Thompson
tony@...

Gary Ray

Very interesting.  Thank you for sharing.

Gary Ray

Magalia, CA

  I've recently completed a Westerfield kit, no. 10864, for a Santa Fe ice car conversion. A photo of the model is below. I have also written a summary of ice car operations, as they apply on my layout, as well as an explanation of the presence of a Santa Fe car like this on an SP layout. If you're interested, the link is below.

Tony Thompson
tony@...

James Brewer

Beautiful model and interesting blog write-up!

Jim Brewer

Patrick Wade

An interesting note on ATSF usage. I read several works on the Harvey House operation. These company cars also delivered parshiables to the Harvey House kitchens. And when they got to the end of the line, on the trip back they hauled dirty dining room linen back to a central laundry facility.

Pat Wade
Santa Barbara, CA

On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 11:39 AM Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:
  I've recently completed a Westerfield kit, no. 10864, for a Santa Fe ice car conversion. A photo of the model is below. I have also written a summary of ice car operations, as they apply on my layout, as well as an explanation of the presence of a Santa Fe car like this on an SP layout. If you're interested, the link is below.

Tony Thompson
tony@...

Bruce Smith

Tony,

Neat car, and I like the back story of why an ATSF car would be on the SP!

One of my favorite ice service cars is shown in PRR Color Guide (1). While it is incorrectly noted as an "RB23" and worse still as a  "modified X23 box car", it is in fact an SFRD RR-23, most likely wrecked on the PRR and written off by SFRD, which has been repaired, painted grey, and lettered for PRR ice service. The car, PRR #498350, is stenciled "ASSIGNED TO JERSEY CITY ICE CAR"

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

  I've recently completed a Westerfield kit, no. 10864, for a Santa Fe ice car conversion. A photo of the model is below. I have also written a summary of ice car operations, as they apply on my layout, as well as an explanation of the presence of a Santa Fe car like this on an SP layout. If you're interested, the link is below.

Tony Thompson
tony@...

Tony Thompson

Surprised the coupler box extends that far on a truss rod car.

 Me too, Brian.

Tony Thompson

Tony Thompson

Neat car, and I like the back story of why an ATSF car would be on the SP!

   Thanks, Bruce. So are you building the PRR ice car?  <g>

Tony Thompson

Tony Thompson

Beautiful model and interesting blog write-up!

   Thanks, Jim.

Tony Thompson

Tony Thompson

Very interesting.  Thank you for sharing.

   Thanks, Gary.

Tony Thompson

Bruce Smith

Tony,

I've thought about it. It wouldn't be hard, except for the lettering. Two obstacles. One is the assigned location being Jersey City and not knowing where it might travel to get there from the ice source, and the second is not knowing when this car was "captured" by the PRR.

Regards,
Bruce