Topics

Identity Of This Car? (Undated)

Bob Chaparro

Identity Of This Car? (Undated)

A photo from the Detroit Public Library:

https://digitalcollections.detroitpubliclibrary.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A256620

Click and hold to enlarge photo.

View of the trailer of a Yellow Truck and Coach truck for the T.M.E.R. & L. Co. being loaded into a railroad freight car. Handwritten on back: "Yellow Truck & Coach."

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Schuyler Larrabee

For starters, google TMER&L, no periods required.

Schuyler

A photo from the Detroit Public Library:

https://digitalcollections.detroitpubliclibrary.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A256620

Click and hold to enlarge photo.

View of the trailer of a Yellow Truck and Coach truck for the T.M.E.R. & L. Co. being loaded into a railroad freight car. Handwritten on back: "Yellow Truck & Coach."

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Todd Sullivan

TMER&LCo is The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Light Company, a large electric street and interurban railway operation in and around Milwaukee, WI that also hauled freight. I think the  "coach" is actually a 'trolley freight car'.  If you look carefully, you can see a trolley wire above the tracks, and the "coach" has lots of clearance around the trucks to allow them to pivot on sharp curves.

Todd Sullivan

Benjamin Hom

Bob Chaparro asked:
"Identity Of This Car? (Undated)

A photo from the Detroit Public Library:

Click and hold to enlarge photo.

View of the trailer of a Yellow Truck and Coach truck for the T.M.E.R. & L. Co. being loaded into a railroad freight car. Handwritten on back: 'Yellow Truck & Coach.'"

TMER&L Co. = The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Light Company.

The North Shore (CNS&M) and South Shore (CSS&SB) were early offerors of piggyback service in the 1930s, so TMER&L experiments with intermodal isn't surprising, but this photo does raise more questions on this particular experiment.

Ben Hom

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Bob and List Members,

I notice the container is numbered C-40. Does that mean there is a C-1 thru C-39 also?

You can see the image at full resolution, without having to walk and chew gum at the same time, by clicking on the link below

Claus Schlund

A photo from the Detroit Public Library:

Click and hold to enlarge photo.

View of the trailer of a Yellow Truck and Coach truck for the T.M.E.R. & L. Co. being loaded into a railroad freight car. Handwritten on back: 'Yellow Truck & Coach.'"

TMER&L Co. = The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Light Company.

The North Shore (CNS&M) and South Shore (CSS&SB) were early offerors of piggyback service in the 1930s, so TMER&L experiments with intermodal isn't surprising, but this photo does raise more questions on this particular experiment.

Ben Hom

Jack Mullen

Spot on, except that nobody is calling the railcar a coach.
Yellow Truck and Coach is the builder of the truck. It was an offshoot if the Yellow Cab empire, and though only a minor truck maker, was a major player in the bus market, eventually becoming GM's Truck and Coach Division.

Jack Mullen

Todd Sullivan

Pretty much looks like the box is a container being slide off (or on) the trailer to/from the trolley boxcar.  Interesting!

Todd Sullivan

Don Burn

From the CERA Bulletin 112 on the TMER&LC this was part of M33-M43 which were Double Truck Express Container Trailers.

Don Burn

A photo from the Detroit Public Library:

https://digitalcollections.detroitpubliclibrary.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A256620

Click and hold to enlarge photo.

View of the trailer of a Yellow Truck and Coach truck for the T.M.E.R. & L. Co. being loaded into a railroad freight car. Handwritten on back: "Yellow Truck & Coach."

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Ed Pavlovic

Illinois Railway Museum has one of the container boxcars in its collection and may possibly have one of the containers as well.

Ed Pavlovic

Horton Monroe

Thank you, Jack Mullen, for calling attention to the truck in this picture.  To me, even though it isn’t a "Steam Freight Car”, it is “perhaps” the most interesting part of the picture…IMHO.  Wish the make and model could be identified.  My eyes aren’t that good.

Horton Monroe, a novice at most everything.

On Oct 23, 2020, at 1:22 PM, Jack Mullen <jack.f.mullen@...> wrote:

Spot on, except that nobody is calling the railcar a coach.
Yellow Truck and Coach is the builder of the truck. It was an offshoot if the Yellow Cab empire, and though only a minor truck maker, was a major player in the bus market, eventually becoming GM's Truck and Coach Division.

Jack Mullen

Dennis Storzek

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 11:05 AM, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) wrote:
I notice the container is numbered C-40. Does that mean there is a C-1 thru C-39 also?
Very likely so. When we were moving wood working machinery out of the former TM Cold Spring Shop in Milwaukee in the seventies (then being used as the main bus shops of the Transport Co.) there were several containers being used as sheds on the property. I've since seen one on the ground at the East Troy (WI) Trolley Museum, and I wouldn't doubt that IRM has acquired one or more to go with the car. In case anyone was wondering, the light colored container is silver (aluminium) with red lettering shaded in black. Now the bad news... because this was trolley equipment, it never went off the property, certainly not interchanged to a "steam" railroad. I suspect the containers shuttled between customers with large volume of package shipments and the system's freight houses.

Dennis Storzek

John Grube

I have seen this photo before, both in the CERA Bulletin and many years ago at TMER&L railfan slideshows. I probably should have paid more attention to the comments then. If I remember correctly, the consensus of opinion is that this truck is the cut-down and modified remains of a 1924 Yellow Z-type double deck bus, tried by TMER&L on their "high-class" Green Bus routes in the 1920's. I have attached a photo of a Chicago bus of similar year and model for comparison of the details.

Brian Termunde

And also I DO see initials! <VBG> I'm trying to be cute, not argumentative BTW.

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, Utah

Re: Identity Of This Car? (Undated)

From: Schuyler Larrabee
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 10:13:21 PDT
For starters, google TMER&L, no periods required.

Schuyler

Ray Hutchison

So is this an example of the first container freight car?

(asking that, knowing that it is not, but curious about more general history of container freight)

ray hutchison

prr6380

One of these cars along with one container is at the Illinois Railway Museum.  The car was repainted in the last couple of years.

Walt Stafa

mel perry

assuming by the side door, these cars
could only hold one container? what
was the space in the front of the car
used for? lcl? express? or in fact
could these cars handle two containers?
mel perry

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 08:08 AM, mel perry wrote:
assuming by the side door, these cars
could only hold one container? what
was the space in the front of the car
used for? lcl? express? or in fact
could these cars handle two containers?
The car is just one long tube, which originally had tracks to guide the containers and a winch to pull them off the truck chassis. I suspect the side doors were to keep an eye on the progress of the containers as they were pulled into the car. The car is 51' long and the containers are short little things; I suspect that three, and even possibly four would fit. I'm not sure that all the mechanical apparatus is still intact, with the court ordered break-up of TMER&LCo in 1938, the car went to the newly formed Wisconsin Electric Power Co. that took over the power generation side of the business, for use as a work car on their coal hauling railroad on Milwaukee's south side.

Here are some photos of the car as it is now, and one of the containers: https://www.irm.org/gallery/TMERLM37

Dennis Storzek