Topics

Illinois Central 40' ss boxcar information

Chuck Cover

Group,

Some time ago I purchased this NEB&W Green Dot Models, Illinois Central single sheathed boxcar kit that was partially built.  I am going to start working to finish the build but would like some information about the prototype. I am looking at the lack of diagonal on the panel to the left of the door.  Did this car originally have a door and a half?  What number series does this car fall?  Does anyone have a prototype photo?

It looks like F&C has a kit for this car, F&C #6270, and my kits instructions say go to F&C for replacement parts.

Thanks

Chuck Cover
Santa Fe, NM

Benjamin Hom

Chuck Cover asked:
"Some time ago I purchased this NEB&W Green Dot Models, Illinois Central single sheathed boxcar kit that was partially built.  I am going to start working to finish the build but would like some information about the prototype. I am looking at the lack of diagonal on the panel to the left of the door.  Did this car originally have a door and a half?  What number series does this car fall?  Does anyone have a prototype photo?

It looks like F&C has a kit for this car, F&C #6270, and my kits instructions say go to F&C for replacement parts."

Chuck, in short, cars were originally automobile boxcars built between 1923 and 1926, and converted to boxcars in 1934 as the Evans auto loader made shorter automobile boxcars obsolete.  See Ted Culotta's Essential Freight Cars 17 in the November 2004 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman for more details including a build of this kit.

Ben Hom

Chuck Cover

Ben,

Thanks for the information and the reference article.  This is exactly what I was looking for.

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

Schleigh Mike

Hi Chuck & Group!

These cars were once frequent visitors to the WAG and B&O before 1956 bringing in green hides to the two tanneries operating on their line and on the one on the connecting C&PA.  There is a movie where three of these cars can be seen together.  Ted Culotta's article mentioned by Ben Hohm should provide all you need to get this job done.

Regards, Mike Schleigh in Grove City, Penna.

On Sunday, April 5, 2020, 11:13:25 AM EDT, Chuck Cover <chuck.cover@...> wrote:

Group,

Some time ago I purchased this NEB&W Green Dot Models, Illinois Central single sheathed boxcar kit that was partially built.  I am going to start working to finish the build but would like some information about the prototype. I am looking at the lack of diagonal on the panel to the left of the door.  Did this car originally have a door and a half?  What number series does this car fall?  Does anyone have a prototype photo?

It looks like F&C has a kit for this car, F&C #6270, and my kits instructions say go to F&C for replacement parts.

Thanks

Chuck Cover
Santa Fe, NM

Tim O'Connor

here ya go

On 4/5/2020 11:13 AM, Chuck Cover wrote:
Group,

Some time ago I purchased this NEB&W Green Dot Models, Illinois Central single sheathed boxcar kit that was partially built.  I am going to start working to finish the build but would like some information about the prototype. I am looking at the lack of diagonal on the panel to the left of the door.  Did this car originally have a door and a half?  What number series does this car fall?  Does anyone have a prototype photo?

It looks like F&C has a kit for this car, F&C #6270, and my kits instructions say go to F&C for replacement parts.

Thanks

Chuck Cover
Santa Fe, NM

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Bill Welch

Chuck, you may find some helpful hints here, in terms of detailing, scroll towards the end: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-nypcLZ98glgHWBXCYKQqMpHY1UzwQON

I exchange perhaps you will detail your weathering techniques with Tube Acrylics.

I will be posting photos of my recently painted and decaled model soon.

Bill Welch

Eric Hansmann

Was the steel plate installed on the door when the car was reconfigured to a smaller door opening?

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro. TN

On 4/5/2020 11:13 AM, Chuck Cover wrote:

Group,

Some time ago I purchased this NEB&W Green Dot Models, Illinois Central single sheathed boxcar kit that was partially built.  I am going to start working to finish the build but would like some information about the prototype. I am looking at the lack of diagonal on the panel to the left of the door.  Did this car originally have a door and a half?  What number series does this car fall?  Does anyone have a prototype photo?

It looks like F&C has a kit for this car, F&C #6270, and my kits instructions say go to F&C for replacement parts.

Thanks

Chuck Cover
Santa Fe, NM

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Bill Welch

that has has always been my assumption. I have several photos of this car and they all have the metal plate.

Bill Welch

Chuck Cover

Hi Eric,

In the Ted Culotta article in RMC that was referred to in Ben Hom’s response to me states that all of the car doors received steel reinforcing plates at the bottom of the doors during the 1934 rebuilding project.

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

Ray Breyer

1941-1942, not 1934. Most of the IC's single sheathed cars were rebuilt during the war years, and it does appear that all of them with wood doors (40' and 50'') got the rienforcing plate at the bottom of the doors.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Sunday, April 5, 2020, 02:42:56 PM CDT, Chuck Cover <chuck.cover@...> wrote:

Hi Eric,

In the Ted Culotta article in RMC that was referred to in Ben Hom’s response to me states that all of the car doors received steel reinforcing plates at the bottom of the doors during the 1934 rebuilding project.

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

Eric Hansmann

Thanks, Chuck. I also have this kit. I think I’ll cut the current door out of the side casting and remove all the door hardware. A Tichy replacement will be installed with companion half-door to reflect the as-built prototypes.

Then I’ll need new decal artwork….

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

In the Ted Culotta article in RMC that was referred to in Ben Hom’s response to me states that all of the car doors received steel reinforcing plates at the bottom of the doors during the 1934 rebuilding project.

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

Eric Hansmann

Thanks, Ray!

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

1941-1942, not 1934. Most of the IC's single sheathed cars were rebuilt during the war years, and it does appear that all of them with wood doors (40' and 50'') got the rienforcing plate at the bottom of the doors.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Sunday, April 5, 2020, 02:42:56 PM CDT, Chuck Cover <chuck.cover@...> wrote:

Hi Eric,

In the Ted Culotta article in RMC that was referred to in Ben Hom’s response to me states that all of the car doors received steel reinforcing plates at the bottom of the doors during the 1934 rebuilding project.

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

Chuck Cover

Thanks Tim.  Nice photo.