Topics

Illinois Central R-40-10 reefer colors

Fred Jansz

Hi all,
purchased this smart looking IC 50039 reefer for my reefer collection.
Checked the group's archives and could find two paint suggestions:
- green ends, silver roof (Hendrickson)
- black ends black roof; w. silver over blk roof, run board still black, black stripe under roof (instead of green) (IC paint diagram)
- others suggest green ends & roof
When I look at the model Mr. Hendrickson painted, it has black ends & roof.
Which scheme is the correct one?
(if there is one...)
best regards,
Fred Jansz

Tony Thompson

Depends on era. IIRC the scheme you have is the as-built scheme. Others on the list can doubtless enlarge on this.
Tony Thompson

On Oct 8, 2019, at 8:52 AM, Fred Jansz <fred@...> wrote:

Hi all,
purchased this smart looking IC 50039 reefer for my reefer collection.
Checked the group's archives and could find two paint suggestions:
- green ends, silver roof (Hendrickson)
- black ends black roof; w. silver over blk roof, run board still black, black stripe under roof (instead of green) (IC paint diagram)
- others suggest green ends & roof
When I look at the model Mr. Hendrickson painted, it has black ends & roof.
Which scheme is the correct one?
(if there is one...)
best regards,
Fred Jansz
<IC40039-reefer.JPG>
<IC50001 paint scheme.png>

Tim O'Connor

As Tony points out, originally received aluminum painted roofs.

Repaints received black ends and roofs and orange sides (at some point MDT & IC began using the same orange paint)

The attached photo of 50038 appears to have a combination of colors on the roof

On 10/8/2019 3:52 AM, Fred Jansz wrote:
Hi all,
purchased this smart looking IC 50039 reefer for my reefer collection.
Checked the group's archives and could find two paint suggestions:
- green ends, silver roof (Hendrickson)
- black ends black roof; w. silver over blk roof, run board still black, black stripe under roof (instead of green) (IC paint diagram)
- others suggest green ends & roof
When I look at the model Mr. Hendrickson painted, it has black ends & roof.
Which scheme is the correct one?
(if there is one...)
best regards,
Fred Jansz

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Fred Jansz

Thanks Tim, Tony,
I model/collect 1950.
Think I follow Mr Hendrickson's expertise by modeling an 'interim' paint scheme, with black roof & ends, new data on the sides and still yellow sides & green lettering.
After 13 years in service this seems an appropriate scheme (the orange sides added >1950 w. next paint job).
cheers,
Fred Jansz