Topics

Image of CH&D 46587 36ft trussrod box 1913

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Image of CH&D 46587 36ft trussrod box 1913

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Kenneth Montero

I thought that it was just hobos who "rode the rods" - or did the shipper run out of room in the boxcar for that last bale of hay and stuck it on the truss rods under the car?

Ken Montero

On 07/25/2020 9:01 PM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

Image of CH&D 46587 36ft trussrod box 1913

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Dennis Storzek

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 07:07 PM, Kenneth Montero wrote:
I thought that it was just hobos who "rode the rods" - or did the shipper run out of room in the boxcar for that last bale of hay and stuck it on the truss rods under the car?

What a great photo of a wood underframe. Note how dainty the body bolster is (at least it's metal, might be wrought iron) and how the draft gear is fitted between DRAFT SILLS that are bolted to the underside of the center sills. Tiny little coupler with no draft key; the coupler shank was riveted to the yoke in those days, With a piece of flat bar stock bolted to the wood sills for a carry iron.

Dennis Storzek