Image of CN 3903 36ft ss box Portland ME 1924

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Image of CN 3903 36ft ss box Portland ME 1924

I'm wondering about the vehicle - STANDARD OIL CO OF NY - in Portland ME? That is a long way for a delivery. Any thoughts on that?

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Benjamin Hom

"I'm wondering about the vehicle - STANDARD OIL CO OF NY - in Portland ME? That is a long way for a delivery. Any thoughts on that?"

New England was definitely SOCONY territory after the Standard Oil breakup.

Ben Hom

Dave Parker

As Ben indicated, the six New England states plus NY comprised the marketing territory assigned to SOCONY after the 1911 breakup.

Which is not to say that other "baby standards" weren't present in New England, they were.  Specifically, Indiana (Amoco), New Jersey (Esso), and Atlantic (the PA and DE territory)

Likewise, SOCONY, under various guises (Mobilgas, Lubrite, Magnolia, others), was able to market in areas initially assigned to other baby standards.

This crossing of territorial boundaries was most often accomplished by buying up smaller local/regional refineries.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Marc Simpson

I think that part of the CN car number must not be visible, CN didn't roster any boxcars with a number series that low.  If you squint hard enough you can see a bit of paint between the end verticals that might indicate the car series was in the 3XXXXX or 4XXXXX series which had single sheath boxcars in those number series.

http://nakina.net/cn/cn4.html is my "go to" for CN and CP freight car data.

--
Marc Simpson

Schuyler Larrabee

Dave Parker wrote:

Which is not to say that other "baby standards" weren't present in New England, they were.  Specifically, Indiana (Amoco), New Jersey (Esso), and Atlantic (the PA and DE territory)

Dave. I realize you’re in CA, but “New England” has a western boundary at the New York State Line.  Indiana (not even close), New Jersey, PA and DE are decidedly not in New England.

New York is sometimes a “wanna be,” but as a New York Native, I know it’s not.

Schuyler (grew up in Binghamton, now living in Newton MA)

As Ben indicated, the six New England states plus NY comprised the marketing territory assigned to SOCONY after the 1911 breakup.

Which is not to say that other "baby standards" weren't present in New England, they were.  Specifically, Indiana (Amoco), New Jersey (Esso), and Atlantic (the PA and DE territory)

Likewise, SOCONY, under various guises (Mobilgas, Lubrite, Magnolia, others), was able to market in areas initially assigned to other baby standards.

This crossing of territorial boundaries was most often accomplished by buying up smaller local/regional refineries.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

D. Scott Chatfield

What he was refering to is Amoco was Standard of Indiana, Esso was Standard of New Jersey, etc.

Scott Chatfield

Todd Sullivan

Hi Schuyler,

I think Dave's and Bruce's points were that NY State was 'home turf' for SOCONY (Std Oil Company of NY), but other 'baby Standard Oil' brand service stations and dealers were found in NYS: Amoco, Esso, Atlantic, etc.  That rings true according to my memories.

Todd Sullivan