Topics

Image of string of boxcars Chicago IL 1952

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Image of string of boxcars Chicago IL 1952

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

mopacfirst

This is the IC yards, just south of the river?  Looking southwest toward the Loop?  Randolph St.?

Ron Merrick

Todd Horton

C of G car to the very left.

Todd Horton

On Monday, July 27, 2020, 06:54:35 PM EDT, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

Image of string of boxcars Chicago IL 1952

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Dennis Storzek

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 04:46 PM, mopacfirst wrote:
This is the IC yards, just south of the river?  Looking southwest toward the Loop?  Randolph St.?
Yes
Dennis Storzek

Michael Gross

Agree with Dennis Storzek.

I grew up in Chicago and loved the views of the yards from Grant Park before all the air rights were sold to real estate developers.  Also loved seeing the huge, iconic Pabst Blue Ribbon sign.
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

Rich C

Michael, I agree great shots. A shame they scrapped the PBR sign. Apparently was used for the war effort. The funny part is they dismantled it after the war!

I was in Chicago last year for a Free-mo show and got to see another icon, the Morton Salt drying shed?. I understand that is kind of a landmark now.

Rich Christie

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020, 12:28:27 PM CDT, Michael Gross <actormichaelgross@...> wrote:

Agree with Dennis Storzek.

I grew up in Chicago and loved the views of the yards from Grant Park before all the air rights were sold to real estate developers.  Also loved seeing the huge, iconic Pabst Blue Ribbon sign.
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

np328

Here is a link to the Chicago Past website, I know I have posted this prior however it has some go railroad photos buried within and here some good color of the Pabst sign and railroad cars.
Many Jack Delano photos, again discussed here prior. https://chicagopast.com/tagged/Illinois-Central-Railroad

My father who lived for many years in Chicago often had comments that echoed Michael's when we went down into the loop area as a family on short vacations and he revisited old haunts.

I am always amazed at all the trackage on the north side of the river that served the Merchandise Mart, and extended out to the Navy Pier at one time in earlier years top of this photo
http://collections.carli.illinois.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/uic_caps/id/105                                                       Jim Dick  St. Paul, MN

Dennis Storzek

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 03:25 PM, np328 wrote:
http://collections.carli.illinois.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/uic_caps/id/105
I've lived in the Chicago area all my life, grew up in the city. IIRC the area with the IC yard and freight house was known as South Water Street Market, while the area north of the river that the C&NW served was the North Water Street Market. North Water St. still survives, it is the street that runs between Ogden Slip (at the extreme north edge of the photo on the right side) and the river, but South Water St. is long gone.

Dennis Storzek

Rich C

Fantastic shots, Jim
Rich Christie

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020, 05:25:34 PM CDT, np328 <jcdworkingonthenp@...> wrote:

Here is a link to the Chicago Past website, I know I have posted this prior however it has some go railroad photos buried within and here some good color of the Pabst sign and railroad cars.
Many Jack Delano photos, again discussed here prior. https://chicagopast.com/tagged/Illinois-Central-Railroad

My father who lived for many years in Chicago often had comments that echoed Michael's when we went down into the loop area as a family on short vacations and he revisited old haunts.

I am always amazed at all the trackage on the north side of the river that served the Merchandise Mart, and extended out to the Navy Pier at one time in earlier years top of this photo
http://collections.carli.illinois.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/uic_caps/id/105                                                       Jim Dick  St. Paul, MN

mopacfirst

What impresses me, coming from a place that has no vertical dimension to speak of, is how Lake Shore Drive was elevated over all that railroad scenery and now, when you approach that area from the west at the current street level, how far down it all is.

To have at least a mention of railroads in this post, I will mention that I first went to Chicago for a railfan visit from Wichita in the spring of 1970, the same week the CZ came off.

Ron Merrick

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Jim and List Members,

Thanks Jim for the links.

Jim wrote: "Many Jack Delano photos, again discussed here prior. https://chicagopast.com/tagged/Illinois-Central-Railroad "

Within the above link I noticed the specific image linked below...

I see the trainman looks to have linked the brake hoses on two cuts of cars on two separate tracks. It looks like he did this with the railroad equivalent of an 'extension cord' connecting the two brakelines. What exactly is going on there? Is he using one engine (perhaps out of sight at the far end of one of these two cuts) to charge the brakes on both cuts? Perhaps the engine is already coupled onto one cut, and will then immediately couple onto the second cut, and then move both cuts together? Other ideas?

I note that every car has TWO blue flags - one on the coupler and another one on the end ladder

Claus Schlund