Topics

Insulated Boxcars v. Bonkerless Reefers

Bill Parks

I'm trying to determine the differences between insulated boxcars (AAR designation XI) and bunklerless refrigerator cars (RB or RBL), and don't see any real difference in design or use (although the ORER does state that RBL/RB MAY have vents - but I've never seen any pictures of any).  As best as I can tell, if the car was owned by a railroad, they would classify it as XI, and the private car owners (FGE, PFE, etc.) would classify them as RB/RBL.

Is that correct, or is there more to it?

Thanks
--
Bill Parks
Cumming, GA

Bill Welch

the NYNH&H RBL had vents up high mounted vertically just under the roof w/a bent metal rod to open and close it. Very Visible on the F&C patterns Steve did for whomever originally issued the kit in the Red/White/Blue scheme. Duplicate car very similar paint and stenciling done for a "neighboring" RR. I think they 1/3/4 IDE.

Bill Welch

Dennis Storzek

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 12:17 PM, Bill Parks wrote:
Is that correct, or is there more to it?
It is my understanding that the insulation requirements were higher for an RB. RBs always had plug doors; either the sliding or swinging type. XI was kind of a catch-all classification for boxcars that had partial insulation installed. The Soo Line, for instance, had some boxcars modified to XIs for wet pulp service that retained their standard un-insulated boxcar doors.

Dennis Storzek