Topics

Intermountain 12 panel GN Vermillion box car details

Bill McCoy

I picked up an old IMRC GN 12 panel boxcar kit (GN 18837, reweigh F-10-60). Some of the parts are pretty dated. There were no instructions and I have a few questions.
What hand brake was used on these cars?
What running boards were used? Was it painted or galvanized?
Were the trucks black or oxide red?
What was the underframe color?
Is there a online prototype photo source?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Bill McCoy
Jax, FL

Todd Sullivan

Hi Bill,

The Steam Era Freight Cars website is your friend.  See the files for different 'species' of steel boxcars created by Ed Hawkins, Ted Culotta and others, specifically the files for 10' Postwar Boxcars for these GN cars.

I believe the Intermountain kit represents GN 10900-11874 and 18000-19499, all build at St. Cloud Shops in 1948-49.  Handbrakes were Ajax or Universal, running boards were Morton, Apex or Gypsum, depending on the car series (there were about 7 series), and I think the running boards were painted Mineral Red and the trucks and underframe were black when new.  The doors also varied by series.  There are lots of online photo sources: Fallen Flags and Google images are just two.  Using Google images will get you to other sites.

Todd Sullivan.

Bill McCoy

Thanks Todd,

I haven't built cars in years and forgot the great resources this group has. I've never tried Google Images but am headed there now.

Bill

Clark Propst

What I remember from having some of these kits is there's a grab iron that's suppose to run across the end of the car, there are holes in the ends that need filling. This is for later versions without running boards done in the mid 60s.
Caboose Stop Hobbies in Cedar Falls Iowa has a bunch of these kits at reduced prices if anyone is interested.
CW Propst

Staffan Ehnbom

Vermilion GN cars had mineral red trucks and underbody.

Staffan Ehnbom

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 12:58 AM Todd Sullivan via Groups.Io <sullivant41=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bill,

The Steam Era Freight Cars website is your friend.  See the files for different 'species' of steel boxcars created by Ed Hawkins, Ted Culotta and others, specifically the files for 10' Postwar Boxcars for these GN cars.

I believe the Intermountain kit represents GN 10900-11874 and 18000-19499, all build at St. Cloud Shops in 1948-49.  Handbrakes were Ajax or Universal, running boards were Morton, Apex or Gypsum, depending on the car series (there were about 7 series), and I think the running boards were painted Mineral Red and the trucks and underframe were black when new.  The doors also varied by series.  There are lots of online photo sources: Fallen Flags and Google images are just two.  Using Google images will get you to other sites.

Todd Sullivan.

Staffan Ehnbom

The photo of GN18108 on Fallen Flags shows remains of vermilion paint on the roof.

[...]

Hi Steffan, Thanks. Did the mineral red trucks, running board and under body apply on both the Empire Builder and later billboard Great Northern lettering schemes?

Thanks for your help.

Bill McCoy

Staffan Ehnbom

Hi Bill,
I don't know of any reference to mineral red running boards on vermilion cars. The mineral red trucks and underbody go with vermilion schemes with billboard Empire Builder and slant serif lettering.

Staffan

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 4:43 PM Bill McCoy <wpmccoy@...> wrote:
Hi Steffan, Thanks. Did the mineral red trucks, running board and under body apply on both the Empire Builder and later billboard Great Northern lettering schemes?

Thanks for your help.

Bill McCoy

Steve Haas

What hand brake was used on these cars?
What running boards were used? Was it painted or galvanized?
Were the trucks black or oxide red?
What was the underframe color?
Is there a online prototype photo source?

Thanks in advance for any help. <<<<<

Out of the box, the IMRC 10’ 0” 12 panel cars are accurate for zero to one version of the GN 12 panel car covering 3 number series:

2525-2549

3-48

25

7p Sup1

10900-11199

2-48

300

YSD-2

11200-11374

3-48

175

7p Sup1

Whether they are accurate or not depends on which version of the end IMRC included in the kit you purchased – some have a 4/3/0 end, some with a 4/3/1.   For the three GN series above, _only_ the 4/3/0 version of the end is accurate.  Ed Hawkins defines this as:

42798 IDN-1 - 42798 Improved Dreadnaught End with rolling pin main corrugations and lacking top narrow stiffener (1945-1948)

The doors included with the kit may or may not be correct for the series in question, either.  Again it is important to look to Ed Hawkins work on 10’ cars for these and other details.

No other series of GN 12 panel cars can be modeled with any ends provided by IMRC.  The remaining GN 12 panel cars use what Ed Hawkins calls IDN-2: 42798 IDN-2 - 42798 Improved Dreadnaught End with rolling pin main corrugations except top main corrugation with truncated bottom (mid-1948 to 1953). To my knowledge, no one provides this end to the HO market.  I’m currently working on creating some masters for my own use based on techniques Bill Welch discussed in one of his clinics in the past couple of years.  If such a 10’ end exists I’d love to hear of it.  One also needs to pay attention to the correct doors for the various series, too.  Again, I refer you to Ed Hawkins work on this group of cars.

Best regards,

Steve

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA