Topics

Intermountain GM&O reefer ?

mopacfirst

Can anyone shed light on an Intermountain reefer custom-produced for the GM&O Historical Society?

This car is an NRC reefer with GM&O lettering, car number is 19578.  The model appears to be a standard R-40-23 with metal roofwalk, and the ends appear to be stock 3-3 as in the R-40-23 model.  I once did an MDT model of a similar car using stock ends but cutting and rearranging to produce a 3-4 end to match the prototype.  Other ends on cars built by MDT with sides similar to the R-40-23 had Despatch ends and plain flat sheet metal.  My MDT book is not with me, and I haven't found a close photo on line.

My question is, what ends did this prototype have, and any other details where this model might differ from the prototype?

Ron Merrick

mopacfirst

Found one other photo on line, on rr-picturearchives.  This one is NRC 19734, but the end is in shadow to the point I can tell the end must be a dreadnought of some sort (not Despatch or flat) but that's about it.  It could be a 3-4 or R+3-4 with no poling pockets.  It also appears to have a diagonal panel roof, but the roofwalk is just not discernable as to its type.  I wish I could look this thing up in the book, but it's 650 miles away right now.

The GM&OHS site gives more information about the model.

Ron Merrick