Topics

Intermountain kits

John Nehrich <nehrij@...>

Intermountain does really well with sticking with the right paint schemes on the right cars. But does anyone know of any ART cars leased to Royal (with the big placard on the side) that were NOT belt-rail cars?
Also, I have in my notes that all the Central's USRA composite gons had been rebuilt to steel by '37. But supposedly they switched from black to box car red for their open top cars in '41, so I'm thinking the Intermountain NYC gon in box car red is wrong (?) - John

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

John Nehrich wrote

Intermountain does really well with sticking with the right paint schemes on
the right cars.
[ *begin sarcasm* ]

Come again? Has Intermountain discontinued its entire product line
and introduced another??

[ *end sarcasm* ]

None of the steel reefers are truly accurate other than the PFE and
NP cars. Only one of the 60 foot flat cars is accurate. Many of the
tank cars are bogus. Many of the PS-1 paint schemes are applied to
the wrong car, although the paint schemes do correspond to Pullman
Standard cars. The majority of the "Canadian cylindrical" covered
hoppers are wrong, and some are simply a crock. I think the only
car style they've done 100% accurately is the 1940 AAR 10'6" box.
(And maybe the USRA gondola? It's too early for me.)

Timothy O'Connor <timoconnor@...>
Marlborough, Massachusetts

John Nehrich <nehrij@...>

Tim - I've been working on our Red Caboose and MDC
sections, so BY COMPARISON Intermountain is a breath of fresh air. But I am
entirely in the dark on the 60 foot flats (Richard's answer to the Overnight
scheme), so any help you could give would be welcome. - John

[...]

Richard Hendrickson

Intermountain does really well with sticking with the right paint schemes
on the right cars. But does anyone know of any ART cars leased to Royal
(with the big placard on the side) that were NOT belt-rail cars?
I've seen only two photos of ART crs in this scheme, and both were
belt-rail cars (i.e.,postwar cars with improved Dreadnauight ends and
horizontal rivet seams in the middle of the side sheathing).

Also, I have in my notes that all the Central's USRA composite gons
had been rebuilt to steel by '37. But supposedly they switched from black
to box car red for their open top cars in '41, so I'm thinking the
Intermountain NYC gon in box car red is wrong (?) - John
Correct on all counts, John. To the best of my knowledge, the Central's
USRA gons were never painted mineral red.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520