Intermountain kits - was Re: [RealSTMFC] Latest project from the Southern Piedmont shops DT&I USRA rebuild with Climax radial roof No 11799

Kenneth Montero

Fenton and friends,

Intermountain is listing a number of HO freight car undecorated kits as "Reserve now" including the X-29 boxcar (4 versions) and (for Fenton) the FGE refrigerator car. Also,
-- the Santa Fe, PFE R-40-10, PFE R-70-15 and ART refrigerator cars,
-- Milwaukee Road rib-side boxcar, 1937 10'6" AAR boxcar w/ 4-3-1 Improved Dreadnought ends, modified AAR 40' boxcar w/ 4--4 improved Dreadnought ends,
-- ACF Type 27 10,000 gal. tank car,
-- USRA composite-type drop-bottom gondola,
--1958 Cu. Ft. 2-bay covered hopper,
-- 70' flatcar
-- Stock car

I suspect that Intermountain is waiting until enough orders are placed before making a run of each of such kits.

If Intermountain is at the Amherst show this weekend, someone please ask on the status of these re-runs (or how to get that information). if the numbers are close to their "order the production" numbers, it would be helpful to know - and might motivate some of us to place those orders needed to meet that goal. Dealers might have that information - customers don't.

Ken Montero

On 01/28/2022 1:49 PM O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

They are two different bodies from different prototypes.  The Red Caboose is a PRR X 29 which, with a few modifications, can be made into a credible 1923 ARA boxcar.  The Tichy is a 9'-2' or 9'-4" IH USRA rebuilt boxcar.
Good luck with finding the Red Caboose kits.  They are now part of Intermountain and Intermountain doesn't seem to be interested in doing kits anymore.  The Tichy kit is still in production. Intermountain still shows the X29 as a RTR version and can be ordered through dealers.
I would love to know if Intermountain would produce kits if we could get and order for 300-500 prepaid from modelers.  Not sure if there are that many of us bashers out here who would prepay for 10 or 20 of these kits to make the proposition profitable for IM.  They are a business and must be profitable to stay that way.
With Covid not many flea markets to shop either.
Just say'in
Fenton

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 1:28 PM Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:
Fenton & Rich,

Can you comment on the preference for a Tichy body versus Red Caboose X29?  Just availability?

Rob

On Jan 28, 2022, at 8:42 AM, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

Yes, I believe Andy Carlson will be selling the roofs.  Perhaps he can be talked into the mini kit.
I have copied Andy on the response so you can contact him
Fenton

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 11:29 AM Dean Payne <1PAYNE1@...> wrote:
Fenton,
I had been considering doing this car using the Tichy with an Accurail underframe, but couldn't figure out how to do the roof.  I have a weakness for these quirky rebuilds, and have a W&LE double-door rebuild with Viking roof about 90% complete, involving cutting and splicing the side panels to match the prototype.

More info about the DT&I car here:

http://dti.railfan.net/Equipment_Database/DTI11000sUSRA40%27dsBox/ArtDTI11500s.html

Rebuilt in 1936, a year or two before my chosen date, so fair game.  Plus, close proximity to my road.  The roof is supposed to be a Cambre (!) roof, but the roof here looks better than anything I could scratchbuild.  Is there any chance that some of us could get a copy of that roof?  Unless somebody is willing to make the mini-kit.
Dean Payne

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

lrkdbn

Do they still mould their kits in the USA or has that gone to China also?
Larry King

O Fenton Wells

Ken, I hope so but I don't know.  Maybe someone from IM is monitoring and could help us out.
Fenton

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 3:44 PM Kenneth Montero <va661midlo@...> wrote:
[...]

Brian Carlson

These have been reserving for years. My order went in 4 years ago.

Brian J. Carlson

On Jan 28, 2022, at 3:38 PM, Kenneth Montero <va661midlo@...> wrote:

[...]

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Ken Adams

I put in an order for undecorated 1958 Cu. Ft. 2-bay covered hopper kits over 4 years ago at my LHS and IM said they were reserving then.  I have the Protocraft decals for SP  a string of late 1940's cars waiting in case they ever show up.
--
Ken Adams
Omicron may come and go but I still live in splendid Shelter In Place solitude

Robert Ellis <bobjel67@...>

Gentlemen: A few years ago, I called Intermountain about kits. What I was told was, at that time, all their production was being done in China.  Because of that, rather than maintain a stock of every product, they were running production in batches.  When they ran a batch of a particular prototype, they would save out some unassembled and undecorated kits, if demand warranted.  I presume the "reserve now" on their website is their way of determining demand.  If you've been waiting for four years, I guess they don't feel there's sufficient demand.
      About a year ago, I asked the owner of the hobby shop where I do business to try to order some Intermountain kits. He told me that Intermountain was having trouble with their supplier in China, and that he couldn't get anything at all from them.  He said that, as far as he was concerned, they were virtually out of business.  Whether that was actually the case, and whether it still is, I couldn't say. That may also have been part of the reason for your long wait.
      I have found Ebay to be an excellent source for plastic kits.  Intermountain, IMWX, Red Caboose, Branchline, C&BT, Proto 2000, you name it, you'll find it. Just enter a search, save it, and they will let you know when what you want becomes available.  I rarely have to wait more than a couple of weeks.  Hope this helps.  Bob Ellis.