Topics

Intermountain PFE Reefer Issue

Nelson Moyer

I hate preordering because we’re buying pigs in pokes, in the most recent case, multi-colored pigs in pokes. I pre-ordered twelve steel and wood PFE reefers. The first six have arrived over the past two years. Among these six cars, there are three distinctly different roof/end colors, as shown in the accompanying photo. We have light oxide, sort of mineral red, and sort of brown. Why can’t Intermountain produce cars with consistent paint colors between batches? Am I doomed to receive three more color variants among the next six cars I preordered? I defer to Tony Thompson as to which if any of the extant roof/end colors is ‘correct’.

This ridiculous state of affairs persists because modelers don’t rise up in mass and stop it. If you don’t like multi-colored roofs/ends in your PFE reefer blocks, do something!

End of rant.

Nelson Moyer

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

After the PURPLE Chateau-Martin GPEX car, I refuse to buy Intermountain sight unseen.

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Nov 19, 2019, at 7:27 PM, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

[...]

<Intermountain PFE Color Fiasco.JPG>

Tony Thompson

Nelson Moyer wrote:

I hate preordering because we’re buying pigs in pokes, in the most recent case, multi-colored pigs in pokes. I pre-ordered twelve steel and wood PFE reefers. The first six have arrived over the past two years. Among these six cars, there are three distinctly different roof/end colors, as shown in the accompanying photo. We have light oxide, sort of mineral red, and sort of brown.

      I can tell you that I have complained repeatedly to Frank Angstead and his cohorts about exactly this, and they say that color is a "hard issue in China." Helpful to know.

 I defer to Tony Thompson as to which if any of the extant roof/end colors is ‘correct’.

       As I have said to IM folks, and will repeat here, the paint chips in the back of the PFE book were printed with on-press color checking by me, at the printer, against the original chips. Whenever in doubt, consult the book.

Tony Thompson

Nelson Moyer

Reminds me of the BLI Rock Island E6, which was also purple. Yuk!

Nelson Moyer

[...]

Need I mention the orange and black “Rocket Freight” Rock Island F-units?

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

[...]

Fred Jansz

May I add to that the milk chocolate brown of their WP boxcars (not to forget the lettering and the too large shield), the almost fluorescent green & yellow of the WP FT units (with black roofs, should be green as per WP drawings)? And as cherry on the cake the fluorescent orange of the silver & orange ones?
Fred Jansz

Bob Chaparro

I bought two Intermountain PFE ice service reefers a few years ago. When they arrived, I noticed the reweigh date was OLDER than the built date.
A complaint lodged with Intermountain generated a meek "Sorry" with no offer to replace the product.
Certainly not a candidate for the customer service highlight film.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Nelson,

I appreciate your frustration, but surely you weather your cars? After several years of service, no two PFE reefers would have perfectly matched. Weathering can hide a host of sins.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 8:21 PM Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

[...]

Attachments:

Bruce Smith

Bob,

Two things...

1) I'm trying to figure out what you thought that IM would replace your car WITH? It's not like they have a bunch of elves in the back painting each car before shipping it to a customer 😉  Every car in that run would have the same data.

2) I'm not sure why this is an issue. I mean, I get that it's a du-uh moment that shows that they really have no idea what the stenciling means, but I rarely find reweigh dates that are correct for my modeling date and so nearly every car gets a new reweigh date. It's just part of my normal weathering approach.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

I bought two Intermountain PFE ice service reefers a few years ago. When they arrived, I noticed the reweigh date was OLDER than the built date.
A complaint lodged with Intermountain generated a meek "Sorry" with no offer to replace the product.
Certainly not a candidate for the customer service highlight film.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Nelson Moyer

Agreed for the mineral red and brown roofs and ends, but not so much for the light oxide roofs. If I can find proper decals to piece together the end lettering, I’ll repaint the roof and ends of those cars. They look worse in person than shown in the photos.

Nelson Moyer

[...]

That would have been up to them. Maybe they did have a car with correct stenciling, though not likely.
Maybe another product.
Maybe a refund.
It's an issue for the reasons others have commented...it's wrong and it requires a rework on my part.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA