Topics

Kadee C&O PS-1 boxcar 1952 For Progress livery

Curt Fortenberry

My dealer just informed me that the Kadee C&O PS-1 boxcar painted for as delivered For Progress scheme in 1952 has been released.  This has been a moving target in the Kadee production schedule but good to see it done.

https://www.kadee.com/ho-scale-rtr-cars-c-274_278_290/5023-ho-scale-chesapeake-ohio-co-18499-rtr-40-ps1-boxcar-p-2023.htm

Curt Fortenberry

Tim O'Connor

With black ends & roof? - I have several later color shots of these and there is no indication
that the ends or roof were black. Has anyone seen photos of them with black roof & ends?

On 7/21/2020 3:52 PM, Curt Fortenberry wrote:
My dealer just informed me that the Kadee C&O PS-1 boxcar painted for as delivered For Progress scheme in 1952 has been released.  This has been a moving target in the Kadee production schedule but good to see it done.

https://www.kadee.com/ho-scale-rtr-cars-c-274_278_290/5023-ho-scale-chesapeake-ohio-co-18499-rtr-40-ps1-boxcar-p-2023.htm

Curt Fortenberry

Sterling, Massachusetts

Chuck Cover

I wonder how many Kadee PS-1 boxcars every model railroader already owns?  Probably more than is prototypically correct.

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

Schleigh Mike

Yes, Tim----

C&O 18712, from the second 500 with Superior 6P Sup 1 doors.  Same order from 6-52.  This car re-weighed 7-56.  Black ends, can't be sure about roof.

Regards from Grove City, Penna.    Mike Schleigh

On Tuesday, July 21, 2020, 06:05:47 PM EDT, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

With black ends & roof? - I have several later color shots of these and there is no indication
that the ends or roof were black. Has anyone seen photos of them with black roof & ends?

On 7/21/2020 3:52 PM, Curt Fortenberry wrote:
My dealer just informed me that the Kadee C&O PS-1 boxcar painted for as delivered For Progress scheme in 1952 has been released.  This has been a moving target in the Kadee production schedule but good to see it done.

https://www.kadee.com/ho-scale-rtr-cars-c-274_278_290/5023-ho-scale-chesapeake-ohio-co-18499-rtr-40-ps1-boxcar-p-2023.htm

Curt Fortenberry

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

Mike

You did notice that the MODEL and the PROTOTYPE have the same number right - 18499?

You have a picture of 18712?

I've attached 18917 but it's probably a repaint - the "smoke" on the repaints was simplified compared
to the original design which had "wavy" smoke.

On 7/21/2020 10:01 PM, Schleigh Mike via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Schuyler Larrabee

Regarding “smoke”

I've attached 18917 but it's probably a repaint - the "smoke" on the repaints was simplified compared
to the original design which had "wavy" smoke.

Right, C&O management, with the arrival of diesels, decided that they shouldn’t be showing wavy smoke signifying steam power, and simplified it to acknowledge the diesels.

Schuyler

[...]

Ed Hawkins has assured me the factory paint was black ends & roof -- and here is a 1953 shot that shows
a C&O PS-1 with black ends and black roof! So I guess I am convinced now. :-)

Note the plain galvanized roofs of the Southern and UP box cars. The UP car appears to be a B-50-17 rebuild.

Regarding “smoke”