Kadee CGW box car oops?

Tim O'Connor

Looks like Kadee really missed the boat on this model (images attached)

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

And how!

Thanks!
Brian Ehni 
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Nov 28, 2021, at 4:24 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Looks like Kadee really missed the boat on this model (images attached)

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Brian Shumaker

Are you referring to the color shift?  That slide looks off to me, everything else is too dark as well. I’ve seen other pics of these special cars which appear lighter.  In the eye of the beholder, I guess.
Brian Shumaker

Who says this one image shows Thee correct CGW paint scheme? Pretty surr Kadee does a lot of good research on freight car paint colors before making their cars.
Andy Jackson

Clark Propst

The original CGW car was maroon. Many of their special service cars were maroon. I say many because the LCL and hide cars were black. Now the shade of maroon is up for almost constant debate  ;  )) Kadee has trouble with colored cars. I'll leave it at that. Years back Mike Porter commissioned Intermountain to do three maroon CGW PS 1s including this one of a kind. IM got the color right. After much prodding by Mike. 
Clark Propst

Brian Shumaker

Yup, Clark. Sadly, I sold my set off years back.

Brian

Douglas Harding

Here is a photo of the two models Mike had done.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Clark Propst via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2021 10:23 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Kadee CGW box car oops?

The original CGW car was maroon. Many of their special service cars were maroon. I say many because the LCL and hide cars were black. Now the shade of maroon is up for almost constant debate  ;  )) Kadee has trouble with colored cars. I'll leave it at that. Years back Mike Porter commissioned Intermountain to do three maroon CGW PS 1s including this one of a kind. IM got the color right. After much prodding by Mike. 
Clark Propst

Douglas Harding

CGW boxcar color varied, just like their diesels. CGW modelers are constantly trying to pinpoint what is CGW maroon?

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Shumaker
Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2021 8:27 PM

Are you referring to the color shift?  That slide looks off to me, everything else is too dark as well. I’ve seen other pics of these special cars which appear lighter.  In the eye of the beholder, I guess.
Brian Shumaker

Tim O'Connor

Clark

That's the darkest maroon I've seen yet. That photo is two years after the car was painted in
1959. Here's another car, CGW 5119, next to more conventionally painted cars (which I would
characterize as 'maroon-ish'). This photo is dated 1965, 6 years after the car was painted.

Kadee has made many mistakes - to be expected, when you do hundreds of cars. Even Tangent has
been known to release mistaken paint colors.

Tim O'Connor

On 11/28/2021 11:23 PM, Clark Propst via groups.io wrote:
The original CGW car was maroon. Many of their special service cars were maroon. I say many because the LCL and hide cars were black. Now the shade of maroon is up for almost constant debate ;  )) Kadee has trouble with colored cars. I'll leave it at that. Years back Mike Porter commissioned Intermountain to do three maroon CGW PS 1s including this one of a kind. IM got the color right. After much prodding by Mike.
Clark Propst
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Tim O'Connor

Nicely built models, but both are slightly incorrect just because they use the
post-1953 PS-1 body of Intermountain. These CGW cars were built in 1951.

Tim O'Connor

On 11/29/2021 9:03 AM, Douglas Harding wrote:

Here is a photo of the two models Mike had done.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Clark Propst via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2021 10:23 PM

Clark Propst

Attachments:

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

There is no ambiguity about those colors, in my opinion. Weathering and fading has that
effect on all cars that begin with an 'oxide red' basis weather darker or lighter to begin with.

Tim O'Connor

On 11/29/2021 9:11 AM, Douglas Harding wrote:

CGW boxcar color varied, just like their diesels. CGW modelers are constantly trying to pinpoint what is CGW maroon?

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Shumaker
Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2021 8:27 PM

Brian Shumaker

Attachments:

_._,_.

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Brian Termunde

What do those letters mean? The "C" and "QL" etc.? TIA!

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Murray, Utah

earlyrail

Compartmentalzer and Quick Loader.

I check my copy of the original posted image
Mine is from a C&NW Historical Society duplicate of a W A Vaugh original.
Shows a maroon body, much lighter the the post image
Taken Dyersville, IA 7/61

Howard Garner

Tim O'Connor

The picture I posted -IS- the Dyersville image. You can clearly see a Rock Island
box car red car coupled to it. No way was the 5464 car red or maroon --
and in
fact, the photo shows a red-maroon patch above the lube stencil.

Tim O'Connor

On 11/29/2021 7:30 PM, earlyrail wrote:

Compartmentalzer and Quick Loader.

I check my copy of the original posted image
Mine is from a C&NW Historical Society duplicate of a W A Vaugh original.
Shows a maroon body, much lighter the the post image
Taken Dyersville, IA 7/61

Howard Garner
--
*Tim O'Connor*

Charles Peck

I do not know much about CGW but I do know that some boxcars have worn more than one color
over their lifetime.  Both colors could be correct in different years.
Chuck Peck

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 7:39 PM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

The picture I posted -IS- the Dyersville image. You can clearly see a
Rock Island
box car red car coupled to it. No way was the 5464 car red or maroon --
and in
fact, the photo shows a red-maroon patch above the lube stencil.

Tim O'Connor

On 11/29/2021 7:30 PM, earlyrail wrote:
>
> Compartmentalzer and Quick Loader.
>
> I check my copy of the original posted image
> Mine is from a C&NW Historical Society duplicate of a W A Vaugh original.
> Shows a maroon body, much lighter the the post image
> Taken Dyersville, IA 7/61
>
> Howard Garner
>

--
*Tim O'Connor*

Clark Propst

The CGW assigned some 52000 series 50' DD steel box cars to hide service. I don't think these were painted Maroon  ;  )) I do believe the minimal stenciling was yellow/gold These cars are similar to the Soo cars RCW did. Doors were centered with 5/5 Pullman ends 10'6" IH

Clark

Dennis Storzek

One og the Great Western maroons was very, very dark, and likely weathered even darker. Here is caboose 601 recently repainted at IRM, the color matched to the original samples taken from protected places, like the edges of windows and doors. Note the roof is black.

Dennis Storzek

earlyrail

Tim,
We have different copies of the same photo.
Mine is definitely a maroon and not the dark color you posted.
I'll scan mine and post tomorrow

Howard Garner

Tim O'Connor

On 11/29/2021 7:54 PM, Clark Propst via groups.io wrote:
The CGW assigned some 52000 series 50' DD steel box cars to hide service. I don't think these were painted Maroon  ;  )) I do believe the minimal stenciling was yellow/gold These cars are similar to the Soo cars RCW did. Doors were centered with 5/5 Pullman ends 10'6" IH

Clark

--
*Tim O'Connor*

Tim O'Connor

That could definitely be the color, Dennis.

It is indeed extremely dark -- The Kadee version is just wrong.

Tim

On 11/29/2021 8:01 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
One og the Great Western maroons was very, very dark, and likely weathered even darker. Here is caboose 601 recently repainted at IRM, the color matched to the original samples taken from protected places, like the edges of windows and doors. Note the roof is black.

Dennis Storzek

Attachments:

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts