Topics

Kadee early PS-1

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Folks;

Has anyone received an early PS-1 from Kadee?

Which RRs would be represented by this model?

I assume they’re up to Kadee’s usual standard of accuracy.

What do you think?

Elden Gatwood

Benjamin Hom

Elden Gatwood asked:
"Has anyone received an early PS-1 from Kadee?

Not yet, though hopefully Sam Clarke will chime in with more information soon.

"Which RRs would be represented by this model?"
Depending on door widths, roads with PS-1s built before 1950 with 10-panel welded sides are:

6 ft - ATSF, CGW, CIL, CMO, CNW, COPR, CP, DSS&A, KCS, LS&BC, MKT, NYC, P&WV, SOU, UP

7 ft - B&M, LV, MEC, NH

8 ft - SAL, SL-SF, SOU

More information on Ed Hawkins' PS-1 spreadsheet here:

Link to the Kadee flyer:

Ben Hom

Ed Hawkins

On Mar 2, 2021, at 10:16 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

What do you think?

Eldon,
I have received several of Kadee’s new models, and your assumption is correct.

Kadee models representing PS-1 box cars built in 1947 & 1948 are found at www.kadee.com. In addition to the good info that Ben provided before my reply was completed, I offer the following.

Catalogue numbers of Kadee models released to date (all are sold out at Kadee):

4322 ATSF 276749
4323 NH 33870
4324 Southern 262053
4326 UP 100675
4328 ATSF 276604
4329 NYC 167299

The above models released to date have either 6’ or 7’ door openings. Kadee’s “early” PS-1 box car models have retooled ends, roof (2 versions), side sill connections with crosswise underframe components, doors (all Superior 7-panel), some additional rivets not found on post-1950 PS-1s, and new end details that also include some hand brakes not previously offered.

The two roof versions are the original (but short-lived) PS-1 welded roof and alternate PS-1 roof. The alternate roof is like the post-1950 roof except lacking crosswise pressed corrugations on the two roof sheets adjacent to the ends.

Railroads matching the existing Kadee PS-1 bodies with 10-panel welded sides include the following.

LV, BM, CGW, KCS, MEC, NYC (original PS-1 welded roof)

ATSF, COPR, CMO, CNW, DSS&A, NH, P&WV, Southern, UP (alternate early-version riveted PS-1 roof)

Railroads owning PS-1s built in 1947-1948 with similar features but with 8’ door openings are SA, Seaboard, SL-SF, and Southern. Time will tell if Kadee will release models of these cars.

Incidentally, the link Ben provided for my PS-1 roster dates back to about 20 years ago and has since been extensively updated. I’ll work with Rob to provide the updated roster to the STMFC web site. 

Hope this answers your questions.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

SamClarke

Hello STMFC,

That’s a pretty good list that Ben Hom gave us.

6 ft - ATSF, CGW, CIL, CMO, CNW, COPR, CP, DSS&A, KCS, LS&BC, MKT, NYC, P&WV, SOU, UP

7 ft - B&M, LV, MEC, NH

8 ft - SAL, SL-SF, SOU

Yes, they do meet our standards and we’ve produced a few of these cars already, mostly sold out though. We may or may not do the 8 ft door cars. There are a number of paint schemes and roads we can now do that we could not do before because the cars were pre 1950 cars. The pre-1950 cars have quite a number of transitioning details that are quite different than the cars built after 1950. See Ed Hawkins info as he has helped us way beyond just a thank you.

We’re planning a few more this coming year, no I can’t tell you what roads or when. 

Sam Clarke

R&D / Tech Advisor / Artist

Kadee Quality Products Co.

mail@...

541-826-3883

Peter Ness

I bought three NH cars when they were released, painted the doors for my era and renumbered two of them…still have to find correct door stencils to apply and clear coat.

Scroll down this page https://sites.google.com/view/newhavenrailroad1959/new-haven-freight-cars

Peter Ness

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Benjamin Hom
Sent: Tuesday, March 2, 2021 12:00 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Kadee early PS-1

Elden Gatwood asked:

"Has anyone received an early PS-1 from Kadee?

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Elden,

I bought their Southern 262053, part number 4324. It lacks the five little stiffeners under the running board, there are no ribs on the outermost roof panels, and the ends are riveted. These are all features seen on most early PS-1s. The lettering matches a photo I have from an RMJ article. The main thing I question is the black running board, which I think is Ajax. Some of the very early PS-1s had AAR underframes, but Kadee included a PS-1 underframe. I don't know which cars had which. For some reason, I don't have Ed Hawkins' roster in my collection any more to check on these things. Must track that down on the Trainlife data base.

I know there have been a few mistakes on some Kadee cars (no Morton running boards until recently, for example), though they do try very hard to be accurate. I am very satisfied.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 11:25 AM Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

Folks;

What do you think?

Elden Gatwood

Lloyd Keyser

Hi Sam, I'm a transplant from Iowa. As they say, I got here to Texas  as soon as I could. The 11000 gal propane tanks seen all over the midwest were Phill Gas and Skell Gas. I just can't use the ones I have never seen or heard of. These cars came out of Tulsa. Sure would like to see one in one of your runs.
Sincerely Lloyd Keyser

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 12:18 PM SamClarke via groups.io <samc=kadee.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello STMFC,

7 ft - B&M, LV, MEC, NH

8 ft - SAL, SL-SF, SOU

Yes, they do meet our standards and we’ve produced a few of these cars already, mostly sold out though. We may or may not do the 8 ft door cars. There are a number of paint schemes and roads we can now do that we could not do before because the cars were pre 1950 cars. The pre-1950 cars have quite a number of transitioning details that are quite different than the cars built after 1950. See Ed Hawkins info as he has helped us way beyond just a thank you.

We’re planning a few more this coming year, no I can’t tell you what roads or when. 

Sam Clarke

mail@...

541-826-3883

Todd Sullivan

Hi Lloyd,

I checked the Kadee website for past and current tank cars, and doggone, you are correct, they have never done a Phil Gas or Skel Gas car.

We are rapidly closing in on our closing date for our new home - March 12, and we are starting to pack for the move.  It might be a good idea for me to visit you and return the Milwaukee Road magazines and discuss NYC/PC 52ft gondolas soon. 

My calendar is open on the following days: 3/3-3/5, 3/9-3/11, 3/16-3/18.  March 20 is our move day from the apartment to the house, so earlier is probably better.  Please let me know which day works for you, and early afternoon is probably best for me on any of these days.

Thanks, and hope you are doing well.  Got my 1st vaccine shot on Feb 20th - yippeee!

Todd

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 5:02:02 PM CST, Lloyd Keyser <lloydkeyser@...> wrote:

Hi Sam, I'm a transplant from Iowa. As they say, I got here to Texas  as soon as I could. The 11000 gal propane tanks seen all over the midwest were Phill Gas and Skell Gas. I just can't use the ones I have never seen or heard of. These cars came out of Tulsa. Sure would like to see one in one of your runs.
Sincerely Lloyd Keyser

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 12:18 PM SamClarke via groups.io <samc=kadee.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello STMFC,

7 ft - B&M, LV, MEC, NH

8 ft - SAL, SL-SF, SOU

Sam Clarke

mail@...

541-826-3883

SamClarke

OK Guys,  If the tank cars are on our list and don’t have a complicated paint scheme we’ll eventually get around to the roads you’ve mentioned. I’ll check them out.

Sam Clarke

Research and Development, Kadee

(+1) 541.826.3883 | www.kadee.com

facebook twitter linkedin youtube

Steve and Barb Hile

Don’t forget Warren!!

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lloyd Keyser
Sent: Tuesday, March 2, 2021 5:02 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

Sincerely Lloyd Keyser

Hello STMFC,

7 ft - B&M, LV, MEC, NH

8 ft - SAL, SL-SF, SOU

Sam Clarke

mail@...

541-826-3883

Steve and Barb Hile

The original Skelgas propane cars disappeared into UTLX with the rest of the Skelly fleet.  But the Skelgas logo did show up on UTLX propane cars.  The question is, was that used on any cars that match the Kadee model?

I know that Skelgas was used on at least one ACF built car, but it was one built during WWII and had Alan Wood steel running boards.

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve and Barb Hile
Sent: Tuesday, March 2, 2021 6:14 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Don’t forget Warren!!

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lloyd Keyser
Sent: Tuesday, March 2, 2021 5:02 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

Sincerely Lloyd Keyser

Hello STMFC,

7 ft - B&M, LV, MEC, NH

8 ft - SAL, SL-SF, SOU

Sam Clarke

mail@...

541-826-3883

Tony Thompson

Steve aHile wrote:

The original Skelgas propane cars disappeared into UTLX with the rest of the Skelly fleet.  But the Skelgas logo did show up on UTLX propane cars.  The question is, was that used on any cars that match the Kadee model?

Love the collection of chalk marks! Some modelers seem to think tank cars didn't get them.

Tony Thompson

Lloyd Keyser

Thank you very much Lloyd

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 6:06 PM SamClarke via groups.io <samc=kadee.com@groups.io> wrote:

OK Guys,  If the tank cars are on our list and don’t have a complicated paint scheme we’ll eventually get around to the roads you’ve mentioned. I’ll check them out.

Sam Clarke

leakinmywaders

Are the Kadee 40ft pre-1950 PS-1s molded with separate roof castings, by any chance?  And might an undec kit version be available any time soon?

I ask because these would be ideal for modeling a series of NP-leased ex-LV PS-1s, rebuilt by A.A. Morrison Co., but those cars had replacement diagonal panel roofs. 

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT 

Clark Propst

Sure would like to add a Kadee PS1 to my roster. Waiting for the CGW 93000 series….

Clark

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

SamClarke

Chris the roofs cannot be made as a separate part.  We might eventually do some of these cars as kits but not for a while. Because of the virus we are actually we can’t even keep up with our present sales.

Patience Clark, you’ll live long enough to see them.

Thanks all for the tank car info, when I get the time (a fictitious term) I’ll check our photo files and rosters.

Sam Clarke

SamClarke

Oops, I don’t know how my brain was going fast than my fingers.

Chris the roofs cannot be made as a separate part.  We might eventually do some of these cars as kits but not for a while. Because of the virus we are actually ”busier than ever”, we can’t even keep up with our present sales.

Patience Clark, you’ll live long enough to see them.

Thanks all for the tank car info, when I get the time (a fictitious term) I’ll check our photo files and rosters.

Sam Clarke

Randy Hammill

Great to hear Sam!

While you look at that, you have also never done the CNJ/CRP scheme on the hoppers. It’s the correct version of that hopper, I can dig up road numbers from RPCyc later if that helps.

Thanks!

Randy
--

Randy Hammill
Prototype Junction
http://prototypejunction.com

Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954
http://newbritainstation.com

SamClarke

Randy,   much of the time for in service cars is a matter having “really good” photos that we can read all the small data and see the details of the car. There are many roads and paint schemes we have not done because we don’t have good photos.

Sam Clarke

Tim O'Connor

Sam

I'm very surprised that you would consider 8 foot door cars, but not the 7 foot door cars.
The New Haven had a large number of these cars - they would be very important to STMFC
northeastern modelers, and probably of some interest to most other STMFC class 1 modelers.

And if you ever did the 10 foot inside height cars, that would be manna from heaven!! :-D
The New Haven also had a large number of these cars, and many ended their lives working
for other railroads (i.e. more paint schemes).

Tim O'Connor

=====================================

On 3/2/2021 1:18 PM, SamClarke via groups.io wrote:

Hello STMFC,

7 ft - B&M, LV, MEC, NH

8 ft - SAL, SL-SF, SOU

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts