Topics

Keeley Cans; Was, Chalk Marks On Boxcar

Guy Wilber

Norm wrote:

"are these cans in the photo Keely Cans? that you are referring to?"

Norm.

Yes, those are Keeley cans.  I have seen the spelling that I used in my post, without the final "e", but after some of the recent discussion I believe that it is correctly spelled, "Keeley".

I have several SP Caboose photos with the cans (in use) hung from the hooks, but have yet to see a photo of cans installed on a piece of rolling stock.  The hooks were on large numbers of SP cars as well as PFE reefers, so the use of Keeley Cans must have proven worthy of the installations.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Regards,

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

Dennis Storzek

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 10:14 AM, Guy Wilber wrote:
I have several SP Caboose photos with the cans (in use) hung from the hooks,
I wonder if they are in use? Neither in recently posted photos has the hoses rigged to drip on the journal boxes, leading me to suspect that this is their normal storage location, to be re-positioned wherever needed as the need arises.

Dennis Storzek

Tony Thompson

Dennis Storzek wrote:

I wonder if they are in use? Neither in recently posted photos has the hoses rigged to drip on the journal boxes, leading me to suspect that this is their normal storage location, to be re-positioned wherever needed as the need arises.

     I agree with Dennis that this is the storage or carrying location of the Keeley cans, but the hose could be rigged from there into the journal, so there was not another place they were put.
      Incidentally, my caboose book (Volume 2 of the series, _Southern Pacific Freight Cars_) has the SP drawing of a Keeley can, called a "journal box cooler," on page 157.

Tony Thompson

Guy Wilber

Here's a link for the Patent of the "Keeley" can.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US1020188

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada
_._,_._,_

Guy Wilber

Dennis Storzek wrote:

“I wonder if they are in use? Neither in recently posted photos has the hoses rigged to drip on the journal boxes, leading me to suspect that this is their normal storage location, to be re-positioned wherever needed as the need arises.”

Your observation makes perfect sense, Dennis. The cans rode with the caboose and were transported by the crew should they be needed for an ailing car.

Thanks,

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

Bob Chaparro

Keeley Journal Box Cooler

An article by Kack Burgess in Model Railroad Hobbyist, October 2016, Page 31.

To answer the question, "What is a "hot box"?", the author first delves into the design of freight car trucks, how the axle and the journal box interact, and what might cause a hot box. Also covers the Keeley (journal box cooler). Includes several prototype photos of the mentioned items.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

gtws00

Guy,