Topics

Kit-bash fodder - Mid 1920s 3/3/3 dreadnaught end

Robert kirkham

Thanks for the suggestion Paul.  I will be going with Andy Carlson's 3/3/3 end, rather than cutting up the Roundhouse car.  With a little more research I realized I needed 2/3/3 ends, so will have to make modifications.  Part of the fun.

That said, the Galloway site is a walk down memory lane.  And one starts to imagine other kinds of kit bash possibilities (especially clerestory baggage cars).   I’m curious whether anyone has the ability to speak to the car body height on the steel boxcar kit: https://squareup.com/store/gallowayenterprises/item/acl-coast-line.  The photo doesn’t show dimensional data, so no clear info about the car interior height. Door and rivets on the side look alright.  I’m assuming it would require junking parts and finding others. Lots of work, but for the right model and $1, hmmm.

Rob

On Sep 4, 2020, at 9:40 PM, Paul Krueger <kruegerp12@...> wrote:

You can get Roundhouse shells here for $1 each, plus shipping.

http://www.gallowayenterprise.com/

Paul Krueger
Seattle, WA
_._,_._,_

Andy Carlson

Going by the door, I would say that this is a 10'6" IH box car body.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Friday, September 4, 2020, 11:07:18 PM PDT, Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:

  I’m curious whether anyone has the ability to speak to the car body height on the steel boxcar kit: 24188 ACL Coast line.  The photo doesn’t show dimensional data, so no clear info about the car interior height. Door and rivets on the side look alright.  I’m assuming it would require junking parts and finding others. Lots of work, but for the right model and $1, hmmm.

Rob

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Rob,

If you need just one or two pieces, the $15 shipping charge makes this a rather expensive option. Order a pile of them, and maybe it's not so bad, but do any of us really need a whole stack of Roundhouse bodies in our workshops? I have more projects stockpiled than I will ever finish . . . but those combine bodies do look like they might be fun to shorten. Hmmm.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 2:52 AM Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:
Going by the door, I would say that this is a 10'6" IH box car body.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Friday, September 4, 2020, 11:07:18 PM PDT, Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:

  I’m curious whether anyone has the ability to speak to the car body height on the steel boxcar kit: 24188 ACL Coast line.  The photo doesn’t show dimensional data, so no clear info about the car interior height. Door and rivets on the side look alright.  I’m assuming it would require junking parts and finding others. Lots of work, but for the right model and $1, hmmm.

Rob

Paul Krueger

I've bought a couple batches of shells from her through Facebook. The most recent batch of 12 shells was a couple weeks ago and she charged me $8.25 for Priority Mail shipping.

Paul Krueger
Seattle, WA