From: Elliot Courtney via Groups.Io <ecourtne@...>
To: main <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Sep 30, 2019 7:37 pm
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Kitbash Fodder

Hello All,
I have a couple extra accurail double and single sheath wood boxcars and was wondering if anyone has some good kitbashes to work with these cars. I am modeling 1949 in the northeast.
Thanks!
Elliot

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Just happened to download a photo of the DM&IR car today.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "Richard Townsend via Groups.Io" <richtownsend@...>
Date: Monday, September 30, 2019 at 9:41 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Kitbash Fodder

Here's one: http://mnrailroadcab100.blogspot.com/

Richard Townsend

Lincoln City, OR

I have a couple extra accurail double and single sheath wood boxcars and was wondering if anyone has some good kitbashes to work with these cars. I am modeling 1949 in the northeast.
Thanks!
Elliot

Greg Martin

 Hey Yuze Gize,

A good look at Fenton's photo looks like the rib in the center of the flat panels is missing. This has been something that has been debated many times with Pennsy modelers on the X 26. Richard and my brother did extensive research show that it appeared as the cars went into the shops for overhauls in or about 1934 the re-roof that were applied were devoid of the crimp or rib. This may have been the case with other roads.

Greg Martin

Why Yes I have done some modeling...

Sent from AOL Desktop

In a message dated 9/30/2019 7:41:09 PM Pacific Standard Time, richtownsend@... writes:

Here's one: http://mnrailroadcab100.blogspot.com/

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

I have a couple extra accurail double and single sheath wood boxcars and was wondering if anyone has some good kitbashes to work with these cars. I am modeling 1949 in the northeast.
Thanks!
Elliot

--
Hey Boss,

Somehow I got deleted from this group in late May. I guess someone didn't like me. Jail is a lonely place.

Greg Martin

Guy Wilber

BRIAN PAUL EHNI wrote:

Just happened to download a photo of the DM&IR car today.”

If you look closely at this photo you’ll see that the reporting marks and car number are stenciled onto thin metal plate which is attached over the wood sheathing.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

Donald B. Valentine

    Were some of these D&MIR cars stitting around in a yard at Duluth, MN in August of 1987? I seem to recall
seeing some single sheathed and double sheathed cars there at that time and possibly a reefer as well that
were seen when in the area while returning from the NMRA National in Eugene, Oregon that year. I've got to
find my photos and believe potos were also taken of a Soo Line 2-8-2, possibly #1003 but that's from memory,
in Superior, WI as well.

Cordially, Don Valentine

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

I wonder if that’s a reaction to the winters up there…

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "Guy Wilber via Groups.Io" <guycwilber@...>
Date: Monday, September 30, 2019 at 10:44 PM
To: <main@realstmfc.groups.io>

BRIAN PAUL EHNI wrote:

Just happened to download a photo of the DM&IR car today.”

If you look closely at this photo you’ll see that the reporting marks and car number are stenciled onto thin metal plate which is attached over the wood sheathing.

Guy Wilber

Reno, Nevada

Dennis Storzek

Yes Don they have a truss rod reefer and boxcar from the DM&IR displayed and several of these single sheathed cars around the property. The Soo 2-8-2 was indeed the 1003, when it was still owned by the city of Superior and stored ar the waste water treatment plant.

Dennis Storzek

Lester Breuer

Guy Wilber wrote,” .....reporting marks and car numbers are stenciled onto thin metal plates attached over the wood sheathing.”

And, I thought I had studied DMIR  photos well.  Learning makes for a great day!  Guy Thank You for pointing that detail out.
Lester Breuer

Donald B. Valentine

  Thanks, Dennis, for proving that my memory still works pretty well even if nothing else does,
like finger dexterity, eyes and such! (-:

My best, Don Valentine

Benjamin Hom

Elliot Courtney asked:
"I have a couple extra Accurail double and single sheath wood boxcars and was wondering if anyone has some good kitbashes to work with these cars. I am modeling 1949 in the Northeast."

Which specific kits do you have?  It'll help us give you specific ideas instead of yielding a bunch of guesses that might not apply to what you've got.

Ben Hom

lstt100

DM&IR was an early user of 3M Scotchlite reflective lettering starting in 1955 on new diesel locomotives.  Starting in summer 1959 these reflective monograms, reporting marks and numbers began to be applied to freight cars and cabooses.  Application on wood sheathed equipment involved making metal plates for these items and then applying a clear coat of sealer over the Scotchlite.  Some steel freight cars were equipped in the same manner, but by 1960, the application of the Scotchlite lettering was directly to the steel carbodies.  Data on equipment was not Scotchlite and was stenciled directly on the carbodies.

Dan Holbrook

Benjamin Hom

Greg Martin wrote:
"A good look at Fenton's photo looks like the rib in the center of the flat panels is missing. This has been something that has been debated many times with Pennsy modelers on the X26. Richard and my brother did extensive research show that it appeared as the cars went into the shops for overhauls in or about 1934 the re-roof that were applied were devoid of the crimp or rib. This may have been the case with other roads."

Greg's comment applies to the model's Hutchins roof, though it comes across as a bit confusing as it implies that you can model PRR Class X26 USRA SS boxcars using the Accurail kit.  You can't.  The model with the 7/8 Murphy end is a stand-in at best as the ends and structural members are not correct for the USRA SS cars; however, all of the Accurail SS variations can be harvested for their roofs.

Ben Hom

Elliot Courtney

I have two 4600 series cars (double sheath with wood door) and one 4300 series car (single sheath with wood door.

Benjamin Hom

Elliot Courtney wrote:
"I have two 4600 series cars (double sheath with wood door) and one 4300 series car (single sheath with wood door)."

The Accurail 4600 series kits model the USRA double-sheathed boxcar.  The roads with the most numerous USRA DS boxcars in 1950 were Great Northern (1413 cars) and Rock Island (1153 cars).  Decals are available from Westerfield.  I uploaded a summary of USRA boxcars to the Files section in 2006 - it's been moved to the groups.io site and can be found by doing a search on "USRA DS".

The 4300 series kit is a 9 ft IH car with wood door and 7/8 Murphy steel ends.  The fishbelly center sills in the kit can be replaced with straight center sills fabricated from strip styrene to model more prototypes.  Possible prototypes or close stand-ins in service in 1950 are CN and M-K-T.  This model can also serve as a stand-in for shorter cars - CNJ (8 ft 2 in IH); MEC (8 ft 6 in IH); CB&Q/C&S/FW&D, CNW (8 ft 7 in IH), though the difference in height from the prototype is definitely noticeable.

Ben Hom