L&N 51098 (was NRC Banana Reefer)


Claus Schlund \(HGM\)
 

Hi Gary and List Members,
 
I especially like the mini-scene with the two gondolas carrying coal. A bit difficult to discern, but looks to my eyes it looks like there is a work crew of at least two men in the gon L&N 51098, bent over like they are shoveling the coal. Note the A C Jones coal trucks parked directly next to to the gon. An entirely modelable scene for any size railroad, don't you think? It appears the B&O 257952 gon is also involved in the same operation
 
My Dec 1930 ORER sez the following about L&N 51098: series 50000-56499, 40ft 6in IL, 100000 lb, 6448 cars,  MCB type GA
 
My memory sez MCB type GA is a drop bottom gon, is that right? In that case, are the drop doors being used by the crew to help in unloading, or are they just using the shovels to toss the coal over the gon sides and into the truck beds? Thoughts? I checked B&O 257952, it is type GM (mill gon) which I think would NOT have drop doors of any sort...
 
Claus Schlund
 
 

----- Original Message -----
To: 'stmfc'
Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2021 11:18 PM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] NRC Banana Reefer

It sure is dirty:

 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/51123193132/in/album-72157718970883282/ 

 

The B&O boxcar appears to have had many wood pieces replaced in its roof.

 

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock


Eric Hansmann
 

Claus,

That image is one of four 1932 Dayton Union Station photos recently added to the Barriger Flickr site. Here's the link to review all four.

There's some overlap to the images. The first on that page is a great shot featuring an amazing look at seven B&O freight cars, all of different classes. After downloading the largest image and futzing around with some Photoshoppery, I was able to determine several car numbers. From left to right, here's the breakdown.

#265xxx is one of the original M-26 class cars built in 1925.

M-24 USRA single-sheathed car. The B&O was assigned only 500 of these cars.

#194938 is an M-15a class automobile boxcar built in 1912.

#172247 is an M-18 class car built in 1916. This class is an oddity to me as the B&O installed a few thousand M-15 cars with fish belly steel center sills  in the years just before these M-18 arrived with truss rods and a steel center sill.

#180177 is an M-13 class built in 1906.

#165685 is an M-12 class built in 1902

#175399 is an M-15d class built in 1922-23. They were built new with wood roofs, an oddity for new cars the 1920s.

Another M-18 class car, 172513, appears in the second image.

The last image covers the area between the first and third images, and features the Northern Banana and ART reefers. On the left we see the well-weathered M-15d from teh first image. On the right is M-18 #172513. Of interest are two gondolas lurking on back tracks that seem to be delivering coal to a couple dealer trucks. B&O 257952 is an O-27b built in 1929. This is one of a few thousand USRA copies the B&O installed in the 1920s. Note the corrugated ends are different from the USRA ends.

The other gondola is an L&N steel gondola with drop doors, one of 9000 built in the 1920s and coming soon as an HO scale resin kit.


Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN


On 05/02/2021 10:00 AM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:


Hi Gary and List Members,

I especially like the mini-scene with the two gondolas carrying coal. A bit difficult to discern, but looks to my eyes it looks like there is a work crew of at least two men in the gon L&N 51098, bent over like they are shoveling the coal. Note the A C Jones coal trucks parked directly next to to the gon. An entirely modelable scene for any size railroad, don't you think? It appears the B&O 257952 gon is also involved in the same operation

My Dec 1930 ORER sez the following about L&N 51098: series 50000-56499, 40ft 6in IL, 100000 lb, 6448 cars,  MCB type GA

My memory sez MCB type GA is a drop bottom gon, is that right? In that case, are the drop doors being used by the crew to help in unloading, or are they just using the shovels to toss the coal over the gon sides and into the truck beds? Thoughts? I checked B&O 257952, it is type GM (mill gon) which I think would NOT have drop doors of any sort...

Claus Schlund


ROGER HINMAN
 

I can’t read the number on the NRC reefer, but based on the hatch platforms it appears to be one of the 500 cars they leased from IC and would be in the NRC10000-10999 series. Roger Hinman


On May 2, 2021, at 1:15 PM, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

Claus, 

That image is one of four 1932 Dayton Union Station photos recently added to the Barriger Flickr site. Here's the link to review all four. 

There's some overlap to the images. The first on that page is a great shot featuring an amazing look at seven B&O freight cars, all of different classes. After downloading the largest image and futzing around with some Photoshoppery, I was able to determine several car numbers. From left to right, here's the breakdown.

#265xxx is one of the original M-26 class cars built in 1925.

M-24 USRA single-sheathed car. The B&O was assigned only 500 of these cars.

#194938 is an M-15a class automobile boxcar built in 1912.

#172247 is an M-18 class car built in 1916. This class is an oddity to me as the B&O installed a few thousand M-15 cars with fish belly steel center sills  in the years just before these M-18 arrived with truss rods and a steel center sill.

#180177 is an M-13 class built in 1906.

#165685 is an M-12 class built in 1902

#175399 is an M-15d class built in 1922-23. They were built new with wood roofs, an oddity for new cars the 1920s.

Another M-18 class car, 172513, appears in the second image.

The last image covers the area between the first and third images, and features the Northern Banana and ART reefers. On the left we see the well-weathered M-15d from teh first image. On the right is M-18 #172513. Of interest are two gondolas lurking on back tracks that seem to be delivering coal to a couple dealer trucks. B&O 257952 is an O-27b built in 1929. This is one of a few thousand USRA copies the B&O installed in the 1920s. Note the corrugated ends are different from the USRA ends.

The other gondola is an L&N steel gondola with drop doors, one of 9000 built in the 1920s and coming soon as an HO scale resin kit.


Eric Hansmann 
Murfreesboro, TN


On 05/02/2021 10:00 AM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:


Hi Gary and List Members,

I especially like the mini-scene with the two gondolas carrying coal. A bit difficult to discern, but looks to my eyes it looks like there is a work crew of at least two men in the gon L&N 51098, bent over like they are shoveling the coal. Note the A C Jones coal trucks parked directly next to to the gon. An entirely modelable scene for any size railroad, don't you think? It appears the B&O 257952 gon is also involved in the same operation

My Dec 1930 ORER sez the following about L&N 51098: series 50000-56499, 40ft 6in IL, 100000 lb, 6448 cars,  MCB type GA

My memory sez MCB type GA is a drop bottom gon, is that right? In that case, are the drop doors being used by the crew to help in unloading, or are they just using the shovels to toss the coal over the gon sides and into the truck beds? Thoughts? I checked B&O 257952, it is type GM (mill gon) which I think would NOT have drop doors of any sort...

Claus Schlund



George Courtney
 

Perhaps it's just me, but the two coal piles in the L&N and B&O gons appear a bit unnatural to me.  I'm assuming hand unloading.  Is it just my bad eyesight?  It's like they shoveled everything out on one side or a while, then, skipped a place and went back to shoveling everything out again..  A really fast and a really slow worker?

George Courtney


David
 

#172247 is an M-18 class car built in 1916. This class is an oddity to me as the B&O installed a few thousand M-15 cars with fish belly steel center sills  in the years just before these M-18 arrived with truss rods and a steel center sill.
It was somewhat common for various roads to buy or build truss-rod box cars in the mid-late Teens after receiving cars with full steel underframes or steel body frames earlier, presumably due to the high cost and low availability of steel at the time. Composite hoppers and gondolas enjoyed a similar revival.

David Thompson


Claus Schlund \(HGM\)
 


Hi George,
 
It is likely the workers are shoveling the coal out of the gons and into the two coal trucks parked next to the gons.
 
In that case, the workers probably shovel the coal out of the gons at a spot that is near to where the trucks are parked, so as to easily get it into the truck loading bed. They can only do a part of the gon per truck loading, and the process seems to still be on-going.
 
Next time the trucks return for the next load, they will spot the trucks to unload yet some other part of the two gons.
 
Claus Schlund
 
 
 
 

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2021 8:09 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] L&N 51098 (was NRC Banana Reefer)

Perhaps it's just me, but the two coal piles in the L&N and B&O gons appear a bit unnatural to me.  I'm assuming hand unloading.  Is it just my bad eyesight?  It's like they shoveled everything out on one side or a while, then, skipped a place and went back to shoveling everything out again..  A really fast and a really slow worker?

George Courtney


Tony Thompson
 

David Thompson wrote:

It was somewhat common for various roads to buy or build truss-rod box cars in the mid-late Teens after receiving cars with full steel underframes or steel body frames earlier, presumably due to the high cost and low availability of steel at the time. Composite hoppers and gondolas enjoyed a similar revival.
The main reason, of course, was World War I. Many roads said so explicitly, in comments that can be found in_Railway Age_ and other industry publications.

Tony Thompson
tony@signaturepress.com