Topics

L&N Woodrack -- 3

Bob Chapman

Unique among L&N’s woodracks were the #20100-20199 “shorties” – 36-footers with inset bulkheads, rebuilt in 1943 from ventilated boxcars. The model was scratchbuilt from styrene, with the usual freight car detail additions.

Regards,
Bob Chapman

O Fenton Wells

Excellent, Bob, lof the end manufacturing jig.  Well done and a good looking car.
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Bill McClure

Really neat car, and so well done. Thanks for the ;ook.

Bill

Steve Summers

Thanks, but as mentioned not my best effort. I could have done better at cutting and fitting the MDC Roundhouse ballast chutes. The inside shows more faults.  Figure some ballast will solve some of that.

Got one of the Western 29-yard air dump cars today.  I should ask how you added the lower panel, specifically the mount.  Maybe a picture of the backside shows that?  I assume you used brass, I’ll probably use styrene.

On Feb 26, 2021, at 5:28 PM, Bill McClure <virginianbill@...> wrote:

Really neat car, and so well done. Thanks for the ;ook.

Bill

George Courtney

Great model.  It raised a question in my mind.  Did railroads offer shorter cars, of all types, to customers to help out smaller operations and keep them away from trucks?  Or was it a matter of the economics of the times?  For example, following the Depression, the shorter cars disappeared slowly?  Just curious.

George Courtney

Mont Switzer

Bob,

Your work is top drawer as always.  Your jig for making the end bulkheads is interesting.  Can you share from what the job is constructed?  We all know that assembling styrene components in a styrene jig usually doesn’t go well.

Mont

Unique among L&N’s woodracks were the #20100-20199 “shorties” – 36-footers with inset bulkheads, rebuilt in 1943 from ventilated boxcars. The model was scratchbuilt from styrene, with the usual freight car detail additions.

Regards,

Bob Chapman

Attachments:

Bob Chapman

Mont says:
Your jig for making the end bulkheads is interesting. Can you share from what the job is constructed? We all know that assembling styrene components in a styrene jig usually doesn’t go well.

Mont --
The jig is styrene (painted grey for contrast in the photo). Yeah, the solvent gets into everything. On the jig I left some extra space at each bulkhead joint, which helped a bit. And when gluing with the bulkhead in the jig, I used very sparing amounts of solvent for the first pass. Once dry and part removed from the jig, I then drowned the joint as usual.

Regards,
Bob Chapman

p.s. Thanks to all for the kind words.