Large Model: MDT Reefer #9000

Bob Chaparro

Large Model: MDT Reefer #9000

Photos courtesy of the New York Central Historical Society:

https://nycshs.omeka.net/items/show/130463

https://nycshs.omeka.net/items/show/130461

Promotional model made by the MDT Shops.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Charlie Vlk

All-

Found another photo of the model in my freight car computer file.

Does anyone know what scale it was?   It may be bigger than 15” gauge (3” = 1’-0”) although they might have used that size because some railroad industry salesman’s samples were made to that scale.  A CB&Q fan who was a lantern collector found couplers made to that size and it triggered him making equipment and a railroad to that scale…including a live steam 4-4-0.  The only problem with his stuff is that it was perfect…the real things never were built so precisely!!!

Charlie Vlk

Bruce Hendrick

Thanks Bob and Charlie for sharing images and information on this fascinating model. I estimated it was about 20 feet long making it 1:2 scale!

I wonder what happened to it. Does anyone know?

Bruce Hendrick
Brea, California

George Courtney

I cannot help but wonder if a person built this model, including the signs and flatcar would someone question it's prototypicalness?  I post tongue in cheek.

George Courtney

Mike Williams

The model is still on display in the East Rochester Town Hall. It has different paint schemes on opposite sides.

Mike Williams

The first (indoor) photo was taken when it was on display at the Rochester station. The arched tile behind it was a drinking fountain.