Topics

Large "SOO LINE" lettering: What Date Please

Bill Welch

One of the first IMWX 1937 AAR kits I built year ago was a SOO LINE car using Champ decals. I probably used a magazine photo for inspiration and documentation but I am wondering now what year the RR initiated that paint scheme. I am sure someone here knows the answer. Thank you.

Bill Welch

Joseph

1951 IIRC
Joe

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 2:20 PM Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:
One of the first IMWX 1937 AAR kits I built year ago was a SOO LINE car using Champ decals. I probably used a magazine photo for inspiration and documentation but I am wondering now what year the RR initiated that paint scheme. I am sure someone here knows the answer. Thank you.

Bill Welch

Dennis Storzek

The large square 'boxcar block' lettering dates to the summer of 1951. This original version had the center bar of the S sloping downward at a slight angle, maybe five or seven degrees. This was modified in 1956 or '57 to have the center bar of the S truly horizontal.

The round Venus Bold lettering dates to 1962, past our era.

Dennis Storzek

bigfourroad

Bill
Here courtesy of the Soo Line HTS is a definite answer to your question.
http://www.sooline.org/Publications/Drawings/freight_car_box_51-59.shtml
Glad you asked this will probably improve my modeling as well.
Chris Rooney

Bill Welch

Thank you so much Joe, Dennis and Chris!

Bill Welch

Tim O'Connor

I never noticed that slight change in the S. Yet another lettering twist, yikes!

The large square 'boxcar block' lettering dates to the summer of 1951. This original version had the center bar of the S sloping downward at a slight angle, maybe five or seven degrees. This was modified in 1956 or '57 to have the center bar of the S truly horizontal.

The round Venus Bold lettering dates to 1962, past our era.

Dennis Storzek

Sterling, Massachusetts

Dennis Storzek

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 04:38 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
I never noticed that slight change in the S. Yet another lettering twist, yikes!
Yeah, and I may have put the date of the change a year or two early. I thought the new S was used on the cars leased in the mid fifties, but I was mistaken. The first use was on a series of 40' combo door cars built by the Soo 5/59, followed by a series of PS-1s built by Pullman-Standard 6/59, and ex L&NE cars leased from U S Railway Equipment Co.later in 1959.

The cars leased in 1955 introduced yet another variation. The 'slant bar S' is not symmetrical, the middle bar is just slightly above center. Some of the leased cars, apparently painted by the leasing company, had the S upside-down, with the middle bar below center.

Dennis Storzek