Topics

LifeLike 8000 gallon Tanks

Schuyler Larrabee

I should have asked this years ago. 

I have a couple of these which are lettered CONOCO.  I would very much like to remove the lettering, but I’d also like not to lose the silver paint on the tank, because the scheme I will finish the car with is silver as well, with the same parting lines between the silver and the black frame.

However, I have tried everything I know has been recommended for removing lettering, short of my air eraser, to remove the lettering.  Nothing seemed to touch the lettering – or the silver paint, for that matter.

I’m reluctant to simply paint over the lettering, as it has some relief from the tank itself, and I’m pretty sure it would easily be visible as a “painted that over, huh?’ model.  Not the desired result.

Suggestions?

Schuyler

Tim O'Connor

is it a kit or RTR?

if a kit, I'd just strip the tank and repaint it. Small amounts of lettering can be
removed easily enough with various techniques, but CONOCO is a lot to remove and
even if successful the underlying paint may still reveal it as "ghost" lettering.

On 9/4/2019 11:12 PM, Schuyler Larrabee via Groups.Io wrote:

I have a couple of these which are lettered CONOCO.  I would very much like to remove the lettering, but I’d also like not to lose the silver paint on the tank, because the scheme I will finish the car with is silver as well, with the same parting lines between the silver and the black frame.

However, I have tried everything I know has been recommended for removing lettering, short of my air eraser, to remove the lettering.  Nothing seemed to touch the lettering – or the silver paint, for that matter.

I’m reluctant to simply paint over the lettering, as it has some relief from the tank itself, and I’m pretty sure it would easily be visible as a “painted that over, huh?’ model.  Not the desired result.

Suggestions?

Schuyler

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Bill Welch

Schuyler, I don't see how you can remove the lettering w/o removing the underlying silver. As Tim suggests it is in kit form, remove the paint and repaint. I have had great result removing paint on L-L kits w/91% Isopropyl Alcohol  BTW there are several L-L unassembled tank cars on eBay if you do need a kit form.

Bill Welch

O Fenton Wells

Schuyler, have you tried Scalecoat paint remover?  I use it for removing paint and stripping cars.It will take off more than the lettering.

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Tim O'Connor

Bill

Just a historical note - some of the original Front Range kits were painted with
"Accupaint" (actually Fred B showed the supplier to SMP) but the pad print lettering
was done with another paint or ink. When I stripped them in Accupaint thinner (not
harmful to the plastic) the paint dropped off immediately - leaving the lettering
intact! Only with further stripping (I think Scalecoat or Chameleon paint remover) did
the lettering come off.

On 9/5/2019 6:44 AM, Bill Welch wrote:
Schuyler, I don't see how you can remove the lettering w/o removing the underlying silver. As Tim suggests it is in kit form, remove the paint and repaint. I have had great result removing paint on L-L kits w/91% Isopropyl Alcohol  BTW there are several L-L unassembled tank cars on eBay if you do need a kit form.

Bill Welch

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Schuyler Larrabee

RTR.  I s’pose I could disassemble the kit to try to get it off.  I may end up buying a couple of kits to get this done.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2019 12:26 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] LifeLike 8000 gallon Tanks

is it a kit or RTR?

if a kit, I'd just strip the tank and repaint it. Small amounts of lettering can be
removed easily enough with various techniques, but
CONOCO is a lot to remove and
even if successful the underlying paint may still reveal it as "ghost" lettering.

On 9/4/2019 11:12 PM, Schuyler Larrabee via Groups.Io wrote:

Suggestions?

Schuyler

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Schuyler Larrabee

I have not, Fenton.  I was really hoping to avoid having to dunk the car in anything, since I’ve generally had success with alcohol or some other solvent using Q-tips.  But evidently that’s not going to work this time.

Thanks for the suggestion.  And after reading Tim’s note about getting paint, but not lettering, off with the Accupaint stripper, I’m more inclined to go to Scalecoat’s paint remover.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of O Fenton Wells
Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2019 7:21 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

Schuyler, have you tried Scalecoat paint remover?  I use it for removing paint and stripping cars.It will take off more than the lettering.

--

Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Tim O'Connor

Or Solvaset on a piece of paper towel left overnight on the lettering.

Follow up with grit blasting. And repaint.

On 9/6/2019 7:52 PM, Schuyler Larrabee via Groups.Io wrote:
RTR.  I s’pose I could disassemble the kit to try to get it off.  I may end up buying a couple of kits to get this done.

Schuyler

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

O Fenton Wells

I don't dunk.  I lay the car on newspaper and paint the paint remover on one side and the ends and let it sit then take it to the deep sink and wash it off.  It takes a few times of doing this but I use much less stripper and get better control.
I still dunk my donuts however

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 8:07 PM Schuyler Larrabee via Groups.Io <schuyler.larrabee=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

I have not, Fenton.  I was really hoping to avoid having to dunk the car in anything, since I’ve generally had success with alcohol or some other solvent using Q-tips.  But evidently that’s not going to work this time.

Thanks for the suggestion.  And after reading Tim’s note about getting paint, but not lettering, off with the Accupaint stripper, I’m more inclined to go to Scalecoat’s paint remover.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of O Fenton Wells

--

Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Schuyler Larrabee

Technique noted, thanks.

Schuyler

Sent: Saturday, September 07, 2019 6:51 AM

I don't dunk.  I lay the car on newspaper and paint the paint remover on one side and the ends and let it sit then take it to the deep sink and wash it off.  It takes a few times of doing this but I use much less stripper and get better control.

I still dunk my donuts however

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 8:07 PM Schuyler Larrabee via Groups.Io <schuyler.larrabee=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Schuyler

--

Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

--

Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...