Topics

Lipstick on a pig - detailing an Accurail box car


Clark Propst
 

In the past I've detailed a couple Accurail single sheathed cars for CB&Q and MKT and wasn't looking forward to do it again. I picked this model up from an estate cheap and thought alls I needed to do was carve off the grabs and replace them with Tichy...Dummy me. I made the mistake of getting out the Milwaukee freight car color book. It has several pictures of cars like the model. First off I noticed the diagonal corner straps and the door stop. Then I noticed the model had the post 53 tilted box emblem and I model 48-50, so what the hell I'll add the straps which meant the ladder had to come off. I found some leftover resin ones that were close enough replacements. The ends took the most work scrapping off everything except the two center verticals. I did reuse the brake step. About half way through it dawned on me I had a Sunshine model of this car! Gave it a quick once over to see if I was on the right track and mostly followed the book's photos. The model's been washed, waiting for it to dry then I'll paint with Scalecoat so it'll be awhile before I can decal. 
Clark Propst


Paul Doggett
 

Looking Good Clark I look forward to seeing the finished cars.

Paul Doggett 


On 31 Oct 2020, at 16:22, Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:

In the past I've detailed a couple Accurail single sheathed cars for CB&Q and MKT and wasn't looking forward to do it again. I picked this model up from an estate cheap and thought alls I needed to do was carve off the grabs and replace them with Tichy...Dummy me. I made the mistake of getting out the Milwaukee freight car color book. It has several pictures of cars like the model. First off I noticed the diagonal corner straps and the door stop. Then I noticed the model had the post 53 tilted box emblem and I model 48-50, so what the hell I'll add the straps which meant the ladder had to come off. I found some leftover resin ones that were close enough replacements. The ends took the most work scrapping off everything except the two center verticals. I did reuse the brake step. About half way through it dawned on me I had a Sunshine model of this car! Gave it a quick once over to see if I was on the right track and mostly followed the book's photos. The model's been washed, waiting for it to dry then I'll paint with Scalecoat so it'll be awhile before I can decal. 
Clark Propst

Attachments:


gtws00
 

So far so good. I'm liking it.
Should good good in paint
George Toman


radiodial868
 

We already have the term "Extreme Modeling", so maybe we need another term, like "Rabbit-hole Modeling", as in "it should be easy to take this plastic kit/car and tweak it a bit to make a nice prototype model of it", and then down the rabbit-hole we go, emerging on the other side all sorts of rework accomplished after reviewing prototype photos and data and then starting actual work on the model. "Well, I've corrected this detail, might as well fix this one here why I'm at it. Oops, this doesn't look right per the prototype, I better change this too".  And down the rabbit-hole....

Once painted it will be a car few others will have. Prime example, nice.  
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA


Clark Propst
 

No S**T!
Clark Propst


On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 08:55 AM, radiodial868 wrote:
We already have the term "Extreme Modeling", so maybe we need another term, like "Rabbit-hole Modeling", as in "it should be easy to take this plastic kit/car and tweak it a bit to make a nice prototype model of it", and then down the rabbit-hole we go, emerging on the other side all sorts of rework accomplished after reviewing prototype photos and data and then starting actual work on the model. "Well, I've corrected this detail, might as well fix this one here why I'm at it. Oops, this doesn't look right per the prototype, I better change this too".  And down the rabbit-hole....

Once painted it will be a car few others will have. Prime example, nice.  
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA