Topics

Loading Grain In A Refrigerator Car (1918)


Bob Chaparro
 

Loading Grain In A Refrigerator Car (1918)

A photo from the Utah State Historical Society:

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6t445nf

This photo can be enlarged quite a bit.

I was well aware that this was not an uncommon practice but this is the first photograph I've seen illustrating the point.

Notice the grain door seen through the open reefer door and notice the ventilated boxcar in the cut of cars.

The month this photo was taken was June and the year was 1918, so the factors behind this were a grain rush, a resulting boxcar shortage and, in addition, government control of the national car fleet during World War I.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA


Ray Hutchison
 

Although, why not?  An efficient way to load grain into a car, and the reefers may have been on return shipment, or simply out of season.  Ery interesting, and another example of something that can be modeled ('that's not prototypical')!


Tony Thompson
 

Why not? Because ice cars were always damp inside?
Tony Thompson 


On Sep 6, 2020, at 5:16 PM, Ray Hutchison <rayhutchison2@...> wrote:

Although, why not?  An efficient way to load grain into a car, and the reefers may have been on return shipment, or simply out of season.  Ery interesting, and another example of something that can be modeled ('that's not prototypical')!


Josh
 

I saw this image and thought "huh, that looks familiar."

Then I realized that I literally drove past that elevator yesterday afternoon. You can see the location on google maps here: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3670186,-112.5858464,3a,75y,144.54h,97.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sP4EH_FyLKvQSwaxC7QPrlA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This spur is screaming with "model railroad" details. There is this little elevator, an oil dealership, and a large truck loading dock where fluorite from the Bell Hill mines northwest of Delta was transferred to gondolas to be shipped to the Geneva Steel plant in Vineyard Utah. Fluorite was used as a flux in the smelting process; it's bright purple, so imagine a train of open hoppers filled with neon lavender rocks. That's a load that will set your layout apart!

 

You can see a larger-resolution version of the image here: https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s63208r9


mel perry
 

from the looks of it, it appears to be out
of service or abandoned?
mel perry

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020, 1:08 PM Josh <segorailroadmodels@...> wrote:

I saw this image and thought "huh, that looks familiar."

Then I realized that I literally drove past that elevator yesterday afternoon. You can see the location on google maps here: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3670186,-112.5858464,3a,75y,144.54h,97.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sP4EH_FyLKvQSwaxC7QPrlA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This spur is screaming with "model railroad" details. There is this little elevator, an oil dealership, and a large truck loading dock where fluorite from the Bell Hill mines northwest of Delta was transferred to gondolas to be shipped to the Geneva Steel plant in Vineyard Utah. Fluorite was used as a flux in the smelting process; it's bright purple, so imagine a train of open hoppers filled with neon lavender rocks. That's a load that will set your layout apart!

 

You can see a larger-resolution version of the image here: https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s63208r9


Josh
 

The fluorite docks are long abandoned, since Geneva shut down a few decades ago. The elevator though is still active as far as I can tell.


Bruce Smith
 

Mel,

Why would you say that? Go to the satellite view and you can see that the spur connects to somebody's line at a wye.


It really does look very model-genic!

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, Al


From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of mel perry <clipper841@...>
Sent: Tuesday, September 8, 2020 3:12 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Loading Grain In A Refrigerator Car (1918)
 
from the looks of it, it appears to be out
of service or abandoned?
mel perry

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020, 1:08 PM Josh <segorailroadmodels@...> wrote:

I saw this image and thought "huh, that looks familiar."

Then I realized that I literally drove past that elevator yesterday afternoon. You can see the location on google maps here: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3670186,-112.5858464,3a,75y,144.54h,97.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sP4EH_FyLKvQSwaxC7QPrlA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This spur is screaming with "model railroad" details. There is this little elevator, an oil dealership, and a large truck loading dock where fluorite from the Bell Hill mines northwest of Delta was transferred to gondolas to be shipped to the Geneva Steel plant in Vineyard Utah. Fluorite was used as a flux in the smelting process; it's bright purple, so imagine a train of open hoppers filled with neon lavender rocks. That's a load that will set your layout apart!

 

You can see a larger-resolution version of the image here: https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s63208r9


mel perry
 

just looking at the tracks, the rails may
be there, but the track doesn't look like
it seen any cars?, if they ever stayed on
the rails, 


On Tue, Sep 8, 2020, 1:20 PM Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:
Mel,

Why would you say that? Go to the satellite view and you can see that the spur connects to somebody's line at a wye.


It really does look very model-genic!

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, Al


From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of mel perry <clipper841@...>
Sent: Tuesday, September 8, 2020 3:12 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Loading Grain In A Refrigerator Car (1918)
 
from the looks of it, it appears to be out
of service or abandoned?
mel perry

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020, 1:08 PM Josh <segorailroadmodels@...> wrote:

I saw this image and thought "huh, that looks familiar."

Then I realized that I literally drove past that elevator yesterday afternoon. You can see the location on google maps here: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3670186,-112.5858464,3a,75y,144.54h,97.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sP4EH_FyLKvQSwaxC7QPrlA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This spur is screaming with "model railroad" details. There is this little elevator, an oil dealership, and a large truck loading dock where fluorite from the Bell Hill mines northwest of Delta was transferred to gondolas to be shipped to the Geneva Steel plant in Vineyard Utah. Fluorite was used as a flux in the smelting process; it's bright purple, so imagine a train of open hoppers filled with neon lavender rocks. That's a load that will set your layout apart!

 

You can see a larger-resolution version of the image here: https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s63208r9


mel perry
 



On Tue, Sep 8, 2020, 1:32 PM mel perry via groups.io <clipper841=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
just looking at the tracks, the rails may
be there, but the track doesn't look like
it seen any cars?, if they ever stayed on
the rails, plus the rails in the google
photo look rusty as you know what,
judging by the shine on the tail end
of the wye, the end hasn't seen much
traffic, just observing, course if anyone
has RECENT photos of the end, i would
happily stand corrected
;-)
mel perry


On Tue, Sep 8, 2020, 1:20 PM Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:
Mel,

Why would you say that? Go to the satellite view and you can see that the spur connects to somebody's line at a wye.


It really does look very model-genic!

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, Al


From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of mel perry <clipper841@...>
Sent: Tuesday, September 8, 2020 3:12 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Loading Grain In A Refrigerator Car (1918)
 
from the looks of it, it appears to be out
of service or abandoned?
mel perry

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020, 1:08 PM Josh <segorailroadmodels@...> wrote:

I saw this image and thought "huh, that looks familiar."

Then I realized that I literally drove past that elevator yesterday afternoon. You can see the location on google maps here: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3670186,-112.5858464,3a,75y,144.54h,97.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sP4EH_FyLKvQSwaxC7QPrlA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This spur is screaming with "model railroad" details. There is this little elevator, an oil dealership, and a large truck loading dock where fluorite from the Bell Hill mines northwest of Delta was transferred to gondolas to be shipped to the Geneva Steel plant in Vineyard Utah. Fluorite was used as a flux in the smelting process; it's bright purple, so imagine a train of open hoppers filled with neon lavender rocks. That's a load that will set your layout apart!

 

You can see a larger-resolution version of the image here: https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s63208r9


Ray Hutchison
 

...except when they were dried out and used for grain service?


Jim Allen
 

These ramps were also used for sugar beets. 

Jim Allen
Visit www.oscaledirectory.com


--
Jim Allen
Utah


Jim Allen
 

Ron Mitchell and I were there about 1.5 years ago. The main the eye connects too belongs to the UP.   There were numerous cars sitting on that spur for active maintenance. I’m sure that spur is not in regular use. One loading dock is still there as well as all other buildings. 

Jim Allen. 

Jim Allen
Visit www.oscaledirectory.com


--
Jim Allen
Utah


Tony Thompson
 

Ray Hutchison wrote:

...except when they were dried out and used for grain service?

THe PFE car supervisor I interviewed said they were never dry again after their first load. I don't know whether grain would be terribly sensitive to that. Another point is that produce reefers by 1940 all had floor racks. Not much fun to get the grain out from under those, though they were hinged and could be raised up.

Tony Thompson