Loads for stock cars

mel perry

ties?
mel perry

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021, 9:12 AM Dan Smith <espeefan@...> wrote:
From the University of Wyoming collection,

http://digitalcollections.uwyo.edu/luna/servlet/detail/uwydbuwy~6~6~6168~317847?qvq=q%3Arailroad&mi=2793&trs=3026

Off season loading?:-)

Dan Smith

Kenneth Montero

Why not? Same for bricks and similar cargo that is not weather sensitive, once the livestock bedding is cleaned out. Especially if there is a shortage of other suitable cars.

Ken Montero

-------- Original message --------
From: mel perry <clipper841@...>
Date: 6/19/21 4:16 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Loads for stock cars

ties?
mel perry

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021, 9:12 AM Dan Smith <espeefan@...> wrote:
From the University of Wyoming collection,

http://digitalcollections.uwyo.edu/luna/servlet/detail/uwydbuwy~6~6~6168~317847?qvq=q%3Arailroad&mi=2793&trs=3026

Off season loading?:-)

Dan Smith

Bob Chaparro

Commodities Shipped In Livestock Cars

So far I have documented these commodities. I’m sure there were others.

Bob Chaparro

Moderator

Railway Bull Shippers Group

https://groups.io/g/RailwayBullShippersGroup

++++

Bricks

Cabbages

Coal - A lot of coal in stock cars, in the Rocky Mountain States, as late as WWII

Coke - Beehive Oven as late as WWII

Corn Cobs

Dunnage Bulkheads (For boxcars)

Firewood

Freight Car Wheels

Grain (with car lining)

Grain Doors

Hay

Ice - Some photos were posted on the D&RGW Facebook site showing pond ice loading in stock cars in the early 1960s

Lumber

Pipe - Clay

Potatoes - Bagged

Pulpwood

Railroad Ties - Treated and untreated

Rails

Sewer Lids

Sewer Pipe -Ceramic

Straw

Sugar Beets

Tile

Tires

Tomatoes

Watermelons

Ray Breyer

Add to the list:
Canned goods
Onions
Live poultry (in regular stock cars, not poultry cars)
Sand (in barrels)
Oil (in barrels)
Wagons (broken down)
Wagon wheels
Metal pipes
Metal sheets
(most of these are mentioned in my article on "unusual" stock car loads in the January 2021 issue of MRH)

Per the MCBA and ARA loading rules, stock cars could be treated the same as any other house car, and could be loaded with the same goods. So technically, anything conceivably loaded into a boxcar could also be loaded into a stock. And I'm sure that they were (there were a few stock cars with full-height end doors, allowing the loading of cars and trucks).

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Sunday, June 20, 2021, 10:59:22 AM CDT, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

[...]

Brent Greer

I have always had a fascination with end-door cars, but this is the first I've heard of stock cars with end doors that were functional  (I thought I had seen some converted cars of the UP with end doors that had been welded shut).   Can you share or point me to photos of some of these end-door stock cars?

Sincere thanks,
Brent

Dr. J. Brent Greer

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Also add to the list: steel railroad wheels...

Claus Schlund

[...]

Shipping Corn Cobs

I think some of you who grew up on farms way-back-when know what corn cobs could be used for once the Sears catalogue was exhausted.

But what about shipping corn cobs? For what use?

I found one explanation:

“Corn cobs were once viewed as an important biofuel feedstock early in U.S. history to heat houses, farm buildings, and small businesses. However, with the advent of combines, which left the cob in the field, the use of corn cobs as a biofuel declined dramatically. Corn cobs are used on a limited basis for industrial purposes in the United States for bedding, oil sorbents, polishing agents, and other uses.”

So at one time shipping corn cobs made economic sense.