Topics

looking for a source for Youngstown early post war (wide seam panels) corrugated 7' opening doors for 10'6" double door boxcar project

Brent Greer

I am hoping someone can help me with a project I am working on.  The car is a 1945 DD boxcar, 10'6" height cars with 14' door opening (two 7' doors) that were of the interim improved youngstown design with the 5-6-5 corrugations and the wide seams.  Can any of you point me to a source for suitable doors in HO scale (even if they might have been in a resin kit at some point)?  Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincere thanks,
Brent

Dr. J. Brent Greer

O Fenton Wells

Have you tired Speedwitch or Yarmouth Model works, I don't think SW Scale has one.

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 2:52 PM Brent Greer <studegator@...> wrote:
I am hoping someone can help me with a project I am working on.  The car is a 1945 DD boxcar, 10'6" height cars with 14' door opening (two 7' doors) that were of the interim improved youngstown design with the 5-6-5 corrugations and the wide seams.  Can any of you point me to a source for suitable doors in HO scale (even if they might have been in a resin kit at some point)?  Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincere thanks,
Brent

Dr. J. Brent Greer

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

O Fenton Wells

Maybe Kadee, check the as well

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 3:33 PM O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:
Have you tired Speedwitch or Yarmouth Model works, I don't think SW Scale has one.

Sincere thanks,
Brent

Dr. J. Brent Greer

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Brent Greer

I did not find them on Kadee or Speedwitch.  The ones from SouthWest Scale are the right configuration, but only a 6' width vs. the 7' that I need.  I will check Yarmouth next  

Thanks,
Brent

Dr. J. Brent Greer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...>
Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2020 3:34 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] looking for a source for Youngstown early post war (wide seam panels) corrugated 7' opening doors for 10'6" double door boxcar project

Sincere thanks,
Brent

Dr. J. Brent Greer

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

mel perry

slice & dice?

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020, 12:38 PM Brent Greer <studegator@...> wrote:
I did not find them on Kadee or Speedwitch.  The ones from SouthWest Scale are the right configuration, but only a 6' width vs. the 7' that I need.  I will check Yarmouth next  

Thanks,
Brent

Dr. J. Brent Greer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...>
Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2020 3:34 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] looking for a source for Youngstown early post war (wide seam panels) corrugated 7' opening doors for 10'6" double door boxcar project

Sincere thanks,
Brent

Dr. J. Brent Greer

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Richard Townsend

I went through my stash of old kits and found nothing. Front Range, McKean, C&BT, Branchline, etc. Plenty of 5-6-6 and 6-6-5, but no 5-6-5.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Sent: Sat, Aug 8, 2020 11:52 am
Subject: [RealSTMFC] looking for a source for Youngstown early post war (wide seam panels) corrugated 7' opening doors for 10'6" double door boxcar project

Sincere thanks,
Brent

Dr. J. Brent Greer

Chad Boas

I think I might have what you want. The C&WC DD rebuild has 2 7" doors with the 5-6-5 config.
Chad Boas

Andy Carlson

I think the original poster mentioned a 1945 build date interim improved Youngstown door which is not made in 7' width by anyone. The 5/5/5 version was the famous SP "Overnight" door. Southwest made the 6' wide 5/6/5 version which was to my understanding used only by the Santa Fe, but again, only 6' wide and in 1945. I remember seeing a color steam era video which in passing a pair of these interim doors were visible in the train. It may have been one of the subject cars.

I know if I wanted a pair I know of a method which makes the visible joining sections nearly unseen.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Saturday, August 8, 2020, 4:40:49 PM PDT, Chad Boas via groups.io <chadboas@...> wrote:

I think I might have what you want. The C&WC DD rebuild has 2 7" doors with the 5-6-5 config.
Chad Boas
_._,_._,_