Topics

Looking for any info about Linde (CCBX) gondolas #801-815 and the containers. #801-815

Jason Kliewer
 

Does anyone have any info they could share about these container gondolas?  I'm trying to make a drawing of the containers anf gondolas working off pictures and the ORER dimensions on the gondola series but can seem to get it to look right.

Anyone ever see a shot of the containers out of the car?  Did the gondolas have wood floors?

Lots of questions.

Jason Kliewer
Colorado Springs, CO

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford
 

Jason,

My pleasure. From my trusty October 1958 ORER, page 688, entry for Union Carbide:

"Container Cars: The container (A.A.R. Mech. Designation LG) cars marked 'C.C.B.X' and numbered 801 to 803 inclusive (Note A). Inside dimensions: length 46 ft. 10 in., width 9 ft. 1 in., height 1 ft. 5 in., outside 49 ft., width at top of sides 9 ft. 11 in., extreme width 9 ft. 11 in., height from rail to extreme width 5 ft. 1 in., to top of sides 5 ft. 1 in., to extreme height 5 ft. 7 in., capacity 140,000 . . . Note A: Container cars numbered 801 to 803 and 805 to 815 inclusive have a capacity of 12 Calcium Carbide containers." The entry is dated July 1957.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆


On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 6:51 PM Jason Kliewer <wcfn100@...> wrote:
Does anyone have any info they could share about these container gondolas?  I'm trying to make a drawing of the containers anf gondolas working off pictures and the ORER dimensions on the gondola series but can seem to get it to look right.

Anyone ever see a shot of the containers out of the car?  Did the gondolas have wood floors?

Lots of questions.

Jason Kliewer
Colorado Springs, CO

Jason Kliewer
 

Hi Garth, thanks for the reply.  As I mentioned in my post, I've been working from the ORER data and having a time trying to get it to look right - mostly the containers.

None of the ORER data gives me much to scale off of vertically except the inside height.  But at 17", I'm thinking it has a wood floor or maybe some sort of brackets or bracing to hold the containers.

What I really need is a pictures that shows one of the containers out of the car so I can see the bracing.

Thanks,

Jason

Tony Thompson
 

Jason Kliewer wrote:

None of the ORER data gives me much to scale off of vertically except the inside height.  But at 17", I'm thinking it has a wood floor or maybe some sort of brackets or bracing to hold the containers.
What I really need is a pictures that shows one of the containers out of the car so I can see the bracing.

      If this car is anything like the SP version, there are good interior photos in my volume on SP flat cars, Vol. 3 of the series, _Southern Pacific Freight Cars_ that was published by Signature Press.

Tony Thompson



mark_landgraf
 

Hi,

LCL Corp 1956 inventory shows that there were 216 containers were owned by Carbide & Carbon Chemical and were in assigned service to Union Carbide for Calcium Carbide serve. 

I have drawings of some of these containers, but my drawings are for a flat top version, not the peaked top version shown in your photo.

I attempted to attach them.

Mark Landgraf


On Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 4:02:04 PM EST, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:


Jason Kliewer wrote:

None of the ORER data gives me much to scale off of vertically except the inside height.  But at 17", I'm thinking it has a wood floor or maybe some sort of brackets or bracing to hold the containers.
What I really need is a pictures that shows one of the containers out of the car so I can see the bracing.

      If this car is anything like the SP version, there are good interior photos in my volume on SP flat cars, Vol. 3 of the series, _Southern Pacific Freight Cars_ that was published by Signature Press.

Tony Thompson



mark_landgraf
 

I looked around a little bit more and found a a gondola that was used by LCL corp. It doesn't appear to the exact car you are looking for but it may provide some guidance. It's a big drawing but I got it down to and emailable size.

Mark Landgraf


On Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 4:38:27 PM EST, mark_landgraf via Groups.Io <mark_landgraf@...> wrote:


Hi,

LCL Corp 1956 inventory shows that there were 216 containers were owned by Carbide & Carbon Chemical and were in assigned service to Union Carbide for Calcium Carbide serve. 

I have drawings of some of these containers, but my drawings are for a flat top version, not the peaked top version shown in your photo.

I attempted to attach them.

Mark Landgraf


On Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 4:02:04 PM EST, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:


Jason Kliewer wrote:

None of the ORER data gives me much to scale off of vertically except the inside height.  But at 17", I'm thinking it has a wood floor or maybe some sort of brackets or bracing to hold the containers.
What I really need is a pictures that shows one of the containers out of the car so I can see the bracing.

      If this car is anything like the SP version, there are good interior photos in my volume on SP flat cars, Vol. 3 of the series, _Southern Pacific Freight Cars_ that was published by Signature Press.

Tony Thompson



mark_landgraf
 

OK - I tried to send an 11 mb attachment that was readable, however our group resized it to 225kb and made it mostly unreadable.
Jason or Garth, If you need the readable version email me at

mark_landgraf at yahoo dot com

Mark


On Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 5:08:56 PM EST, mark_landgraf via Groups.Io <mark_landgraf@...> wrote:


I looked around a little bit more and found a a gondola that was used by LCL corp. It doesn't appear to the exact car you are looking for but it may provide some guidance. It's a big drawing but I got it down to and emailable size.

Mark Landgraf


On Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 4:38:27 PM EST, mark_landgraf via Groups.Io <mark_landgraf@...> wrote:


Hi,

LCL Corp 1956 inventory shows that there were 216 containers were owned by Carbide & Carbon Chemical and were in assigned service to Union Carbide for Calcium Carbide serve. 

I have drawings of some of these containers, but my drawings are for a flat top version, not the peaked top version shown in your photo.

I attempted to attach them.

Mark Landgraf


On Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 4:02:04 PM EST, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:


Jason Kliewer wrote:

None of the ORER data gives me much to scale off of vertically except the inside height.  But at 17", I'm thinking it has a wood floor or maybe some sort of brackets or bracing to hold the containers.
What I really need is a pictures that shows one of the containers out of the car so I can see the bracing.

      If this car is anything like the SP version, there are good interior photos in my volume on SP flat cars, Vol. 3 of the series, _Southern Pacific Freight Cars_ that was published by Signature Press.

Tony Thompson



RICH CHAPIN
 

I believe the attached Patent this is the calcium carbide container in that Linde Flat Car.

The Linde Car is not a LCL drop side gon, although I can't say what type it is.

What's the date of the container flat photo?

Elliot Courtney
 

Steel mill modelers supply is producing these containers, they can be found on facebook or at http://steelmillmodelerssupply.com 

Elliot Courtney 

Tim O'Connor
 


Except at the prices, a load of calcium carbide containers runs about
$250 or so.

A bit out of my price range.

Some of the items do look much more practical.


On 1/14/2020 7:08 PM, Elliot Courtney via Groups.Io wrote:
Steel mill modelers supply is producing these containers, they can be found on facebook or at http://steelmillmodelerssupply.com 

Elliot Courtney 

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Jason Kliewer
 

Thanks for all the replies.  I'll make another run at drawing all this up and see if I can get to a acceptable result.

Can't believe I didn't do a patent search as I've done that on several past projects.

Jason

Paul Woods
 

Tim, how did you get the figure of $250?  According to the website a set of 14 HO-scale containers runs at $31.50, S-scale is $73.25.  Is the freight a bit OTT?

Regards
Paul Woods
Whangarei, NZ


On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 04:17 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Except at the prices, a load of calcium carbide containers runs about $250 or so.




toggle quoted messageShow quoted text

 

On 1/14/2020 7:08 PM, Elliot Courtney via Groups.Io wrote:
Steel mill modelers supply is producing these containers, they can be found on facebook or at http://steelmillmodelerssupply.com 

Elliot Courtney 
--
Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
 

Paul

I thought the price was for each one - since only one is shown. Also, for me a load is
at least 22 containers, so it's $44. Much better than 22x11 = 231.



On 1/15/2020 5:53 PM, Paul Woods wrote:
Tim, how did you get the figure of $250?  According to the website a set of 14 HO-scale containers runs at $31.50, S-scale is $73.25.  Is the freight a bit OTT?

Regards
Paul Woods
Whangarei, NZ

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 04:17 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Except at the prices, a load of calcium carbide containers runs about $250 or so.




toggle quoted messageShow quoted text

 

On 1/14/2020 7:08 PM, Elliot Courtney via Groups.Io wrote:
Steel mill modelers supply is producing these containers, they can be found on facebook or at http://steelmillmodelerssupply.com 

Elliot Courtney 
--
Tim O'Connor

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts