Topics

Looking for car colors and road numbers

Bill Lugg

I'm working on a six pack of HO scale Tichy 50 ton, 40 foot flat cars and have decided to letter them for six different roads.  I model the UP in the 1950-1953 time frame so I'm thinking of using UP, SP, WP, D&RGW, AT&SF and C&NW as my road choices. My question is are there online resources that will tell me what color to pain the car and what number series would be valid for each road in this time frame?  I've done some searching on Google, but have come up dry so far.  Photos would be even better if they're out there.

Thanks
Bill Lugg

Bill Lugg

Since I was stuck in moderator limbo for several days, I discovered a previous thread on these cars and specifically a message from Eric Hansmann compiling some very helpful prototype info from the June 1993 Rail Model Journal article about the flat cars (unfortunately, the link http://magazine.trainlife.com/rmj_1993_6/ seems to result in a database access error now).  So I'm abandoning the plan stated below and selecting some from the list in the aforementioned message.

I do have a couple of questions though.  Several list "Mineral Red paint" would a close match be box car red or is a different color of red called for?  Are there any photos of the SP&S, T&P, DL&W, Cotton Belt and CP cars to use for lettering guides? Is there a chance anyone out there happens to have a copy of the linked article I could get a scan of for reference?  It would really help in building these and I've been unsuccessful in finding any from other sources.

Thanks for the help.
Bill Lugg

On 11/1/19 9:30 PM, William Lugg wrote:
I'm working on a six pack of HO scale Tichy 50 ton, 40 foot flat cars and have decided to letter them for six different roads.  I model the UP in the 1950-1953 time frame so I'm thinking of using UP, SP, WP, D&RGW, AT&SF and C&NW as my road choices. My question is are there online resources that will tell me what color to pain the car and what number series would be valid for each road in this time frame?  I've done some searching on Google, but have come up dry so far.  Photos would be even better if they're out there.

Thanks
Bill Lugg

Eric Hansmann

Bill,

Check this link for the June 1993 RMJ. Some of the magazines on the original Trainlife site can be accessed.
http://original.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/148/10699/june-1993-page-5

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

[...]

Tim O'Connor

The Tichy flat car is nearly correct as is for

   ACL, CG, CN, FEC, GN, L&N, NC&StL, SAL, SP&S, SSW, and T&P

Champ produced an excellent decal set for the kit
HC-646

NOT - UP, SP, WP, D&RGW, AT&SF or C&NW

On 11/1/2019 11:30 PM, Bill Lugg wrote:
I'm working on a six pack of HO scale Tichy 50 ton, 40 foot flat cars and have decided to letter them for six different roads.  I model the UP in the 1950-1953 time frame so I'm thinking of using UP, SP, WP, D&RGW, AT&SF and C&NW as my road choices. My question is are there online resources that will tell me what color to pain the car and what number series would be valid for each road in this time frame?  I've done some searching on Google, but have come up dry so far.  Photos would be even better if they're out there.

Thanks
Bill Lugg

Sterling, Massachusetts

radiodial868

You definitely want to read the RMJ article before proceeding. Use that last link from Eric. If still doesn't work i can send a PDF.  I built 3 that required little modification (SP&S, NC&StL, SSW). Turned out to be really nice cars, Used the Tichy decal set. Will post a picture tonight.
RJ Dial
Burlingame, CA

Bill Welch

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 02:23 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
The Tichy flat car is nearly correct as is for

   ACL, CG, CN, FEC, GN, L&N, NC&StL, SAL, SP&S, SSW, and T&P

Champ produced an excellent decal set for the kit
HC-646

NOT - UP, SP, WP, D&RGW, AT&SF or C&NW

Not nearly correct, exactly correct for NC&StL
Bill Welch

Kemal Mumcu

I built one of these as a NC&StL. Speedwitch Media offers beautiful (accurate) decals for these cars. Decals matter in my opinion.

Colin Meikle

Tim O'Connor

I beg to differ Bill - the prototype hand brake had a square cross section rod. :-D

On 11/13/2019 4:41 PM, Bill Welch wrote:
On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 02:23 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
The Tichy flat car is nearly correct as is for

   ACL, CG, CN, FEC, GN, L&N, NC&StL, SAL, SP&S, SSW, and T&P

Champ produced an excellent decal set for the kit HC-646

NOT - UP, SP, WP, D&RGW, AT&SF or C&NW

Not nearly correct, exactly correct for NC&StL

Sterling, Massachusetts

Bill Lugg

Yes, the provided link worked, thanks, Eric.  I'll read it before proceeding further.

Bill Lugg

On 11/13/19 2:40 PM, radiodial868 wrote:
You definitely want to read the RMJ article before proceeding. Use that last link from Eric. If still doesn't work i can send a PDF. I built 3 that required little modification (SP&S, NC&StL, SSW). Turned out to be really nice cars, Used the Tichy decal set. Will post a picture tonight.
RJ Dial
Burlingame, CA

Bill Lugg

Do you happen to know the number for the Speedwitch decal set.  I'm not seeing it on their web site.

Thanks
Bill Lugg

On 11/13/19 3:36 PM, Kemal Mumcu via Groups.Io wrote:
I built one of these as a NC&StL. Speedwitch Media offers beautiful (accurate) decals for these cars. Decals matter in my opinion.

Colin Meikle

radiodial868

Couple of pics of the SSW and Lackawanna versions I made.  I recall the RMJ article and pics was important as it covered body color, trucks and uncoupling devices.  I included a closeup showing the Tichy thickness everyone is talking about. The only time you notice it on this small lettering is with a camera closeup.
RJ Dial

Allan Smith

Bill if you would contact me off list I could send you a scan of the article

Al Smith
Smithal9@...

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 06:59:48 PM PST, radiodial868 <radiodial@...> wrote:

Couple of pics of the SSW and Lackawanna versions I made.  I recall the RMJ article and pics was important as it covered body color, trucks and uncoupling devices.  I included a closeup showing the Tichy thickness everyone is talking about. The only time you notice it on this small lettering is with a camera closeup.
RJ Dial

Bill Lugg

Those are some good looking cars.  What did you do for air hoses and brackets?  I really like the work you did on the decks too.

Bill Lugg

On 11/13/19 7:58 PM, radiodial868 wrote:
Couple of pics of the SSW and Lackawanna versions I made.  I recall the RMJ article and pics was important as it covered body color, trucks and uncoupling devices.  I included a closeup showing the Tichy thickness everyone is talking about. The only time you notice it on this small lettering is with a camera closeup.
RJ Dial

Attachments:

* IMG_0039.jpg <https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/attachment/168007/0>
* IMG_0038.jpg <https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/attachment/168007/1>
* IMG_0035.jpg <https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/attachment/168007/2>
* Lackawanna.jpg
<https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/attachment/168007/3>

Staffan Ehnbom

GN?

Staffan Ehnbom

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 10:41 PM Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 02:23 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
The Tichy flat car is nearly correct as is for

   ACL, CG, CN, FEC, GN, L&N, NC&StL, SAL, SP&S, SSW, and T&P

Champ produced an excellent decal set for the kit
HC-646

NOT - UP, SP, WP, D&RGW, AT&SF or C&NW

Not nearly correct, exactly correct for NC&StL
Bill Welch

Kemal Mumcu

http://speedwitchmedia.com/product/d186-nashville-chattanooga-st-louis-fm7fm8fm9-flat-cars/

Tim O'Connor

my bad Staffan

On 11/14/2019 5:00 AM, Staffan Ehnbom wrote:
GN?

Staffan Ehnbom

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 10:41 PM Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 02:23 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
The Tichy flat car is nearly correct as is for

   ACL, CG, CN, FEC, GN, L&N, NC&StL, SAL, SP&S, SSW, and T&P

Champ produced an excellent decal set for the kit HC-646

NOT - UP, SP, WP, D&RGW, AT&SF or C&NW

Not nearly correct, exactly correct for NC&StL
Bill Welch

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

Tichy ought to try producing decals for actual raised lettering applied to the prototype,
for example for steam locomotive smokebox number plates. Something about turning a pig into
a purse comes to mind...