Topics

Looking for GN Monogram—Side Facing Goat: Great Northern Railway

Bill Welch

I am decaling at Westerfield GN truss rod boxcar w/inset Murphy ends using a Bruce Meyer photo circa 1954 of #9996. It displays the GN Monogram w/the side facing goat with "Great Northern Railway" wrapped around the goat. Neither the Westerfield or Speedwitch decals i have include this version. Hoping someone here may know if this version exists in !/87 scale. I may be mistaken but I think the monogram used on the truss rod boxcar was smaller than the version used on taller 40-foot boxcars. Your help is appreciated.

Thank you,
Bill Welch

Todd Sullivan

Hi Bill,

It's a little difficult to visualize the herald you are talking about.  Any chance you could post the photo of GN 9996?

Todd Sullivan.

radiodial868

Since I only use "Front Facing Goats", I chuck the "Sides" into a tin. I find 4 sizes in there, with 24" and 34" being the smallest.  The 34" are the only small ones with the "Railway". Is that what you are after?

RJ Dial
Mendocino, CA

radiodial868

I found even more. I was thinking single sheath, but maybe looking at my collection the truss rods were DS, so maybe this big huge thing?
RJ Dial
Mendocino, CA

Bill Welch

Thank you R.J. I just measured the decals I have:

Westerfield is about 46" scale inches or .6205 actual inches.

Speedwitch is about 49" scale inches or .6465 actual inches.

This Microscale set has three sizes: http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MD&Product_Code=87-1388&Category_Code=GN

The middle size may be what I want. If someone here has this set , perhaps they could measure the middle size?

Bill Welch

Bill Welch

Hi Todd, given that the photo i have was purchased from one of our valuable venders, I am reluctant to post online as doing so could undermine their business. Hope you understand. the photos R.J. posted do a good job explaining the various GN monogram motifs I am referring to.

Bill Welch

Hudson Leighton

From the GNRHS website

http://www.gnrhs.org/gn_logos.php

-Hudson

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Hudson,

An interesting array.  It’s too bad they don’t have dates for each of of them.  That would be a big help to the GN uninitiated, like me.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966