LOOKING FOR PLATFORN FOR A KADEE 11,000 GALLON 105A TANK CAR

Bill Keene

I recently picked up a Kadee model of their 11,000 gallon 105A pressure tank car to model a car in the SHPX 1800-1941 number series, ACF Lot 3365, as a car leased to Phillips Petroleum Company. I chose the Kadee model based on the fact that it was the plainest paint scheme requiring on the revising the lettering to be accurate. Unfortunately, this model did not have the 6'-6" x 4'-7" platform. Hopefully someone on this list can offer suggestions of a source to obtain a platform. See attached photo.

I have contacted Kadee and received a reply that they did not sell this part.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Brian Carlson

Could any of the tangent platforms be kitbashed to work.

Brian J. Carlson

--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Pierre Oliver

YOu could modify this
http://www.yarmouthmodelworks.com/index.php/Products/YMW-370

Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
On 2022-01-17 1:30 p.m., Bill Keene via groups.io wrote:

I recently picked up a Kadee model of their 11,000 gallon 105A pressure tank car to model a car in the SHPX 1800-1941 number series, ACF Lot 3365, as a car leased to Phillips Petroleum Company. I chose the Kadee model based on the fact that it was the plainest paint scheme requiring on the revising the lettering to be accurate. Unfortunately, this model did not have the 6'-6" x 4'-7" platform. Hopefully someone on this list can offer suggestions of a source to obtain a platform. See attached photo.

I have contacted Kadee and received a reply that they did not sell this part.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Kenneth Montero

Bill,

Here are some possibilities:
Plano nos. 303 and 305
Atlas no. 8820000141 Safety Rail set

A definite possibility:
Tangent Scale Models (tank dome platform) - no number

This may be a candidate, if modified:
Precision Scale no. 3576
See Tony Thompson's blog on modifying the Athearn part (similar to the PSC part) - http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2014/05/upgrading-tank-car-dome-platforms.html

I don't know if the Athearn part can be obtained from Athearn, but look for part no. 15512 for the platform (plastic) and 15513 for the railing (bent steel wire) Others in this group may have that information.

Tyco, at one time, had such a part, similar in size to the Athearn part - part. no. 4117.

Ken Montero

On 01/17/2022 1:30 PM Bill Keene via groups.io <bill41@...> wrote:

I recently picked up a Kadee model of their 11,000 gallon 105A pressure tank car to model a car in the SHPX 1800-1941 number series, ACF Lot 3365, as a car leased to Phillips Petroleum Company. I chose the Kadee model based on the fact that it was the plainest paint scheme requiring on the revising the lettering to be accurate. Unfortunately, this model did not have the 6'-6" x 4'-7" platform. Hopefully someone on this list can offer suggestions of a source to obtain a platform. See attached photo.

I have contacted Kadee and received a reply that they did not sell this part.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Tim O'Connor

If you wanted a car with the platform, why didn't you buy a car with the platform? :-\

On 1/17/2022 1:30 PM, Bill Keene via groups.io wrote:
I recently picked up a Kadee model of their 11,000 gallon 105A pressure tank car to model a car in the SHPX 1800-1941 number series, ACF Lot 3365, as a car leased to Phillips Petroleum Company. I chose the Kadee model based on the fact that it was the plainest paint scheme requiring on the revising the lettering to be accurate. Unfortunately, this model did not have the 6'-6" x 4'-7" platform. Hopefully someone on this list can offer suggestions of a source to obtain a platform. See attached photo.

I have contacted Kadee and received a reply that they did not sell this part.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Bill Keene

Easy to answer…

First, I was looking for a car that required the least revision to the factory lettering. Using the car I purchased would require only revising the reporting initials and numbers. The plan being to revise the initials and numbers and add a self-printed decal for the lease assignment. Change wheel sets to semi-scale. Change couplers to Sergents. Then lightly weather a bit. OK… I am also a bit lazy.

Second, it was a senior moment… forgot about the platform requirement. Happens sometimes. More than I am willing to admit.

To all that have responded … a big THANK YOU. I am presently going though the suggestions.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Jan 17, 2022, at 12:32 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

[...]

Thomas Birkett <tnbirke@...>

If I have drawings of the PPCo car, would that help?
Tom Birkett

 IIOn Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 2:51 PM, Bill Keene via groups.io
<bill41@...> wrote:
[...]

Tom,

Yes. This may turn into a small scratch building project. Drawings would be a great help.

Thanks & Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Jan 17, 2022, at 1:12 PM, Thomas Birkett <tnbirke@...> wrote:

If I have drawings of the PPCo car, would that help?
Tom Birkett
Bartlesville, OK

<bill41@...> wrote:
[...]

Allan Smith

Atlas 11K tank cars with platform. Check the Atlas Chemical tank car with platform, it is a nice platform and wiil fit the Kadee car. I transferred one from the Atlas tank to a Kadee tank and like the look. I don't know if it available as a separate part or not. You may find one on Ebay. To see what they look like do an Ebay search for Atlas tank car with platform. I may have a spare but can't look until tomorrow, if interested contact me off list.
 Al Smith
Sonora CA
Smithal9@...

<bill41@...> wrote:
[...]

Tony Thompson

I don't know if the Athearn part can be obtained from Athearn, but look for part no. 15512 for the platform (plastic) and 15513 for the railing (bent steel wire) Others in this group may have that information.

DO NOT USE this part if you have any interest in accuracy or appearance. It is slightly oversize — for S SCALE. Not a candidate, IMO.

Tony Thompson