Topics

Lots of Freightcars [was] Westerfield NB box car

Dennis Storzek

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 12:11 PM, Donald B. Valentine wrote:
i have the same photo but it’s labeled Gardenville (Buffalo) yard 1953.

Brian J. Carlson
That's why photos shouldn't be separated from their credits. It's a May 1943 view of the Milwaukee Road's Bensenville Yard (Chicago) part of a series taken by Jack Delano. I don't have time to find the link to the Library of Congress page.

Dennis Storzek

Todd Sullivan

Umm, the Santa Fe boxcar in the background has the "Ship and Travel" slogan, and I think that started in 1947 or so, and Garth said the L&N PS-1 boxcar two cars to the right from the Santa Fe car was built in 1952.  I think Buffalo 1953 makes more sense, given the evidence.

OTOH, I heartily agree that photos and their descriptions should not be separated.  I have many photos copied off the web for personal use, and I recently decided I need to document the source, date and location if known.  Fortunately, the long file names now allowed enable us to do that in the file name.

Todd Sullivan

Dennis Storzek

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 04:39 PM, Todd Sullivan wrote:
Umm, the Santa Fe boxcar in the background has the "Ship and Travel" slogan, and I think that started in 1947 or so, and Garth said the L&N PS-1 boxcar two cars to the right from the Santa Fe car was built in 1952.  I think Buffalo 1953 makes more sense, given the evidence.
Oops! The message I responded to had a link that led to the Delano photo on the group's home page... for whatever reason. I know that photo is Bensenville Yard. Since I've seen your recent message, I dug back further and found the pic you guys were actually discussing, which I agree is NOT Bensenville and NOT 1943. I'll go back to sleep now.

Dennis Stoezek

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Todd and Friends,

If you have a Mac you will find that the machine compresses the thumbnail title. The information is still there, but represented by ellipses. You can, of course, read it by right clicking on the title or photo; the whole title will appear in the menu that opens after a right click.

Perhaps a better possibility is to right click the photo and then choose 'GET INFO' from the menu. There is a comments box on the info screen which will allow you to add save a whole bunch of stuff. I just did a test, and the information in the comments box is retained if you duplicate the photo.

I don't have a PC to play with, but I suspect there are similar functions available those operating systems.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 7:39 PM Todd Sullivan via Groups.Io <sullivant41=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Umm, the Santa Fe boxcar in the background has the "Ship and Travel" slogan, and I think that started in 1947 or so, and Garth said the L&N PS-1 boxcar two cars to the right from the Santa Fe car was built in 1952.  I think Buffalo 1953 makes more sense, given the evidence.

OTOH, I heartily agree that photos and their descriptions should not be separated.  I have many photos copied off the web for personal use, and I recently decided I need to document the source, date and location if known.  Fortunately, the long file names now allowed enable us to do that in the file name.

Todd Sullivan

Donald B. Valentine

Thank you Dennis. I was about to ask why in the world 95% of the cars in a Milwaukee
Rd. yard wereNYC cars!!??  I do realize that Jack Delano spent a vast amount of time in
the Chicago - Milwaukee area as he did also here in Vermont filming the dairy industry
and owing to the fact that supervisor summered nearby on Caspian Lake in Greensboro
which was also the home of a lesser known railroad horseshoe curve.

Cordially, Don Valentine