Topics

LV 9951 series, was: Photo: Reading Well Hole Flat Car 99009 (Undated)

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Ken and List Members,

Ken mentioned the LV 9951 series.

This is listed in my 12-1930 ORER as series 9951-9960, the number space allows for 10 cars, but the ORER states there is a total of only three cars in this series!

I have images of 9952 and 9953, so we know these two numbers are truly in use.

These were 1915-built cars with “no well floor”, 55ft 10in length, 220,000 lb capacity, height to "Eaves or To of Sides or Platform" was a mere 3ft 3in! I imagine the car used wheels that were smaller than 33" diameter to achieve this height for the loading platform

I'm attaching an image of LV 9952

There are two nice in-service images of LV 9952 in the book "Uintah Railway: The Gilsonite Route" delivering a narrow gauge articulated locomotive.

Claus Schlund

Re: F37B with “no well floor” (at least that’s what I’m interpreting Elden’s comment…)

Note other railroads also had well cars with “no floor”.  In the Jan 1953 ORER (table in back) I am interpreting the phrase (in “load carrying platform” – “height from top of rail” column) “open pit” to mean there is no floor:

D&H 16160 series

LV 9951 series

NYC 499xxx series (5 separate lines)

I don’t know enough about these cars to know if that is truly what the ORER means…

Ken

Daniel A. Mitchell

Redball used to offer a wood & metal kit of this car in HO scale. I have one. It’s a bit crude by modern standards, but with a little work makes an unusual and quite presentable model.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Nov 20, 2020, at 9:36 AM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

[...]

<LV_9952.jpg>

Jon Miller

On 11/20/2020 6:57 AM, Daniel A. Mitchell wrote:
Redball used to offer a wood & metal kit of this car in HO scale. I have one. It’s a bit crude by modern standards, but with a little work makes an unusual and quite presentable model.

Dan Mitchell

    I have one of these.  I believe the sides are card-stock.  The wheels in the RB trucks are 28".

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Daniel A. Mitchell

Mine, built from a quite old kit (ca. 1960), has wooden blocks for the end platforms, and soft metal overlays for the top decks, sides, and ends. NO trucks came with it. I used modified 3-axle passenger trucks. I’ll try to post a photo of the model soon.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On 11/20/2020 8:38 AM, Daniel A. Mitchell wrote:
soft metal overlays for the top decks, sides, and ends

     Right (memory:-[).  I got the trucks as a separate item.  My car just sits on the trucks (prototype style), no screws.

    Found the trucks on "hoseeker.net", Lamount (Lamont).  Did a quick Google search for the trucks and found a NMRA  data sheet [https://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/d5a.pdf] but nothing else.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems,
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Daniel A. Mitchell

As stated earlier, here’s my photo of the HO Redball LV 56’ well-hole flat ...

I’ll make one correction to my earlier post … the deck is imbossed cardstock. As stated the ends and sides are set metal castings, the frame is wood, with blocks for the ends and stips for the sides. The trucks are pasenger trucks fitted with smaller 33” wheelsets. Detailing is basic, as I had no better info at the time. The load is also Redball, a new crane bridge. I built this car perhaps 40 years ago, and it’s seen a lot of service.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Nov 20, 2020, at 11:38 AM, Daniel A. Mitchell <danmitch@...> wrote:

[...]

O Fenton Wells

Great job on that kit.  Red Ball were not easy to get right.  I built the depressed center flatcar in highschool and used Walthers Goo as that was what the instructions suggested.  As a highschool student I was not proficient in Goo.
Fenton

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 3:24 PM Daniel A. Mitchell <danmitch@...> wrote:
[...]

250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374