M3 Tank - boxcar load

Andy Laurent

Something new for those DD auto boxcars.  An M3 Stuart light tank in a boxcar!  June 2, 1942.
(Floor boards didn't hold up as well as a flatcar's decking would have)

Barriger Library Image

Andy Laurent
Madison WI

Andy Laurent

Two more in the series:

Rear of load
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/51177312091/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/51176633307/in/photostream/

Andy L

Tim O'Connor

appears to be a steel single sheathed box car - perhaps an SP A-50-10 which had end doors

On 7/14/2021 5:25 PM, Andy Laurent via groups.io wrote:

Two more in the series:

Rear of load
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/51177312091/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/51176633307/in/photostream/

Andy L

Sterling, Massachusetts

Charlie Duckworth

Caption on the image reads PM 71209.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Ian Cranstone

I'm thinking that these photos were related to some sort of experiment to see if automobile boxcars could be used in this kind of service. Flat cars would have been in high demand for all sorts of war-related cargos, but with the domestic automobile industry largely shut down for production of other war goods, there would have been a large fleet of automobile cars available for other uses. If light tanks could be accommodated, that would have been very useful – and as a bonus, their movements would have been less viewable.

Of course, if the floorboards on the automobile cars couldn't take the load... but I'll bet they could accommodate armoured cars, and likely trucks of the day.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...

On 2021-07-14 17:21, Andy Laurent via groups.io wrote:

Something new for those DD auto boxcars.  An M3 Stuart light tank in a boxcar!  June 2, 1942.
(Floor boards didn't hold up as well as a flatcar's decking would have)

Jim Gates

There are photographs of 2 1/2 ton CCKW trucks being loaded/unloaded through the side door of automobile cars. 2 1/2 ton trucks and 1/4 ton trucks (jeeps) probably accounted for more US military vehicles manufactured during WWII than all others combined.

Jim Gates