Topics

M3 Tanks Correction

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Friends,

By chance I ran across the TRAINS issue with the photograph showing M3 tanks that I spoke of earlier this week. Sadly, my memory was defective, but in my defense, I hadn't seen that picture for years.

The photo is found in the August 1953 issue of TRAINS & TRAVEL (the earlier title of Kalmbach's current TRAINS MAGAZINE) on page 45. It shows several M3 or other obsolete tanks with ACL Pacific 447. The photo is by Philip R. Hastings and bears the following cutline:

"Retreads", both Coast Line 4-6-2 No. 447 and the tanks beside her were mobilized in the summer of 1951 for Army maneuvers at Ft. Bragg.

So this photo says nothing about National Guard use, or even Army Reserves. Still, the tanks are there.

I would have loved to scan this photo and attach it to this post, but I believe that is forbidden by our rules since this magazine is still in copyright.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆