From: "joe binish" <mstl852@...>
To: "Rich Remiarz" <rremiarz@...>
Subject: M&StL 30000 series gondola kit under development

Folks,
This car is under development.  I hope to have a look at the printed sides and maybe ends at the Lisle RPM.  Fortunately the trucks are already available.  I have no idea of pricing yet, or decal availability....
These cars probably made it to the CNW, since they were built in 1947 by GATC(30000-30499)
Between getting this car done and hoping for the Louie stock car, that should take care of the late steam era freight cars

I will keep you updated
Joe Binish

Douglas Harding

Look forward to seeing this. The MSTL purchased 250 of these gons in 1947. They were a 41’ car with an inward slope at the bottom of the sides. The last one was disposed of in 1971. One unique feature was the use of a Superior hand brake.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Joe Binish asked me to forward this to the list.  He is having some technical issues.

Sincerely,

Rich Remiarz

Begin forwarded message:

From: "joe binish" <mstl852@...>
To: "Rich Remiarz" <rremiarz@...>

Doug  Harding wrote:

One unique feature was the use of a Superior hand brake.

The hand brake of choice for the M&StL

Dan Smith

Bill Welch

From: "joe binish" <mstl852@...>
To: "Rich Remiarz" <rremiarz@...>

Folks,
This car is under development.  I hope to have a look at the printed sides and maybe ends at the Lisle RPM.  Fortunately the trucks are already available.  I have no idea of pricing yet, or decal availability....
These cars probably made it to the CNW, since they were built in 1947 by GATC(30000-30499)
Between getting this car done and hoping for the Louie stock car, that should take care of the late steam era freight cars

I will keep you updated
Joe Binish
This is good news, great to see new people developing models.

Speaking of gondolas, according the the Lisle/Chicagoland RPM, Steve Furnaro will do a presentation on building a Monon gondola, which means he must be introducing this kit next week as I have not seen it on there website.

Bill Welch

Clark Propst

Joe is also interested in obtaining photos of cars repainted by the CNW.
CW Propst

Douglas Harding

I'll send Joe what I have.

Doug Harding
Sent from my phone

On Oct 15, 2019 11:16 AM, Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:
Joe is also interested in obtaining photos of cars repainted by the CNW.
CW Propst

Tim O'Connor

Was this style of GS gondola also built for other owners? It looks very familiar.

Great Northern perhaps?

Tim O'Connor

On 10/15/2019 12:13 AM, Dan Smith wrote:
Doug  Harding wrote:

One unique feature was the use of a Superior hand brake.

The hand brake of choice for the M&StL

Dan Smith

Sterling, Massachusetts

Joseph

Don’t think so as the M&StL car is welded
Joe Binish

Doug  Harding wrote:

One unique feature was the use of a Superior hand brake.

The hand brake of choice for the M&StL

Dan Smith

Sterling, Massachusetts

Douglas Harding

Didn’t the DRGW have similar 41’ cars?

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Doug  Harding wrote:

One unique feature was the use of a Superior hand brake.

The hand brake of choice for the M&StL

Dan Smith

Sterling, Massachusetts

Dennis Storzek

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 01:15 PM, Joseph wrote:
Don’t think so as the M&StL car is welded
I'm going to have to check pix of Soo Line cars; they built some all weld nominal 40 footers in their own shops in '48 or '49 that had the angled bottom of the side sheets.

Dennis Storzek

Tim O'Connor

bingo!

On 10/15/2019 6:34 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 01:15 PM, Joseph wrote:
Don’t think so as the M&StL car is welded
I'm going to have to check pix of Soo Line cars; they built some all weld nominal 40 footers in their own shops in '48 or '49 that had the angled bottom of the side sheets.

Dennis Storzek

Sterling, Massachusetts

Dennis Storzek

Thanks Tim, I don't have a pic I can post. It does appear to be the same design car, the spotting feature being the little pressed flange on the bottom edge of the stub side sills. There is a builders photo in the SLH&TS freightcars book, the car posed with the drop doors open, and it is evident that the doors are Dreadnaught pressings. The car also has what appears to be either Superior or Equipco hand brake. Tim's posted image is of a sixties/seventies era repaint; The original lettering is similar in arrangement, but a Roman typeface, with lines above and below the reporting marks. There were two number series; 8001-8199 (odd), and WC cars 67001-67199 (odd).

Question, do the Minni cars have improved Dreadnaught ends? They seem to have been built one to two years before the Soo cars. Likewise the Dreadnaught drop doors?

Dennis Storzek

Douglas Harding

Attached are builder photos of the MSTL gon, a diagram drawing, and a photo of one of these gons in CNW MOW paint. I have a photo of one of these gons in MOW service dated 1983. I have sent all photos to Joe Binish.

I have been wanting a model of this car. I have the DA steel sided gon kit, which has the slope sides at the bottom of the ca. But as has been pointed out it is based upon an SP car, and not 100% accurate for the MSTL.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

[...]

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Tim,

Western Pacific had some GA gondolas like this, but with a 46' IL and a bit higher sides.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff