Manifest of lading

Robert G P

Hello all,

One of my hobbies within this hobby is creating manifest of freight trains where I imagine lading and origin/destination of the car.

Is there anyone who can point me where I can find original manifest with lading included or could add photos to the group?

Always looking for inspiration.

Thanks,
Bob

Tony Thompson

Robert G P wrote:

One of my hobbies within this hobby is creating manifest of freight trains where I imagine lading and origin/destination of the car.
Is there anyone who can point me where I can find original manifest with lading included or could add photos to the group?

Bob, you probably mean “waybills," not manifests. My blog contains lots of examples of both prototype and model waybills. Here are just two you might enjoy.

Tony Thompson

Robert G P

Thats right Tony, by manifest I meant non professional lists of what would in actuality be waybills.

Looking forward to your blog!

Thanks,
Bob

On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 4:20 PM Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:
Robert G P wrote:

One of my hobbies within this hobby is creating manifest of freight trains where I imagine lading and origin/destination of the car.
Is there anyone who can point me where I can find original manifest with lading included or could add photos to the group?

Bob, you probably mean “waybills," not manifests. My blog contains lots of examples of both prototype and model waybills. Here are just two you might enjoy.

Tony Thompson

Andy Laurent

Bob,
I have uploaded a conductor's train book from Jan-Feb 1945 on the Green Bay & Western Railroad from my collection.  I had shared it with the group as an attachment previously, but it is now in the files section.
https://realstmfc.groups.io/g/main/files/GBW%201945%20Train%20Book_lowres.pdf

Andy L.
Madison WI

Ken Adams

Wouldn't a conductors list be considered the train's "manifest".  You could draw the nautical parallel where a ship has a manifest of all cargo and passengers. Each shipment within the manifest hs its own bill of lading covering the shipment contents, weights and measures,  shipper, consignee and payment information (FOB. etc.).

Like a ship's captain, the trains conductor must have a list or record by car of the reporting marks, destination, type and weight. Weight and length are particularly important.
--
Ken Adams
Omicron may come and go but I still live in splendid Shelter In Place solitude

Robert G P

I would say so. Thats really what I was referring to. I love seeing the load details.

-Bob

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 12:35 PM Ken Adams <smadanek44g@...> wrote:
Wouldn't a conductors list be considered the train's "manifest".  You could draw the nautical parallel where a ship has a manifest of all cargo and passengers. Each shipment within the manifest hs its own bill of lading covering the shipment contents, weights and measures,  shipper, consignee and payment information (FOB. etc.).

Like a ship's captain, the trains conductor must have a list or record by car of the reporting marks, destination, type and weight. Weight and length are particularly important.
--
Ken Adams
Omicron may come and go but I still live in splendid Shelter In Place solitude
Location: About half way up Walnut Creek

Mike Clements

Explore Moving the Freight | Documents and information about railroad freight operations.

There are plenty of documents like that to look through posted there.

--
Mike Clements
Wakefield, MA