Topics

Merchants Despatch Refrigerator Car Wreck - Lehigh Valley

Richard Wilkens

Was looking on ebay and came across this postcard of a Merchants Despatch car in a wreck. Interesting the different trucks on the ground to the left.

Rich Wilkens

Bob Chaparro

Also interesting is the pair of four-hinge doors on the MDT reefer. Not rare but maybe less common than three-hinge doors?
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Dave Parker

All of the MDT's SUF cars built between 1911 and 1917 (~3700 by my count) had 5-ft wide doors with four hinges per side.  Cars built after the war had 4-ft doors and the more typical three hinges per side.

The pre-war cars were all rebuilt with the 1920+ door configuration during the 1920s; none of the original wider doors remain in my December, 1930, ORER.

So, their rarity is very much a function of what year one is considering.

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA