Topics

[MFCL] [RealSTMFC] Grace Tank Car

Tangent Scale Models

Tim,

The AESX car you posted is not an ACF build.  It is a Pressed Steel Car Company build.

The GRYX car is an ACF build, "type 27" underframe of early 1940s construction

Best wishes,

David Lehlbach
www.tangentscalemodels.com
PO Box 6514
Asheville NC 28816 USA
828-279-6106

On Friday, December 20, 2019, 1:09:43 PM EST, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

There is no possibility the underframe on the GRYX 168 is an ACF Type 27.

Examine the enclosed photo and compare GRYX 168 to AESX 576.

And Darrall, yes, the Intermountain model represents a Type 27.

On 12/20/2019 7:13 AM, bn2204 via Groups.Io wrote:
> Thanks David,
>
> As a modeler modeling an era where stub sill tank cars are the norm,
> I'm not up to speed regarding the nomenclatures for the different type
> of frames associated with older tank cars. Correct me if I'm wrong,
> but isn't the Type 27 underframe the underframe that comes with the
> Intermountain 8,000g/10,000g tank car kits?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Darrall Swift  - Lagrange,  Ohio

Sterling, Massachusetts

Charlie Vlk

I had the good fortune to make the acquaintance of Stanley D. Grace, Jr. the last family owner of Grace Tank Car Lines and grandson of the founder, John H. Grace. He was a Model Railroader and in later years had a coffee table N Scale railroad.
I interviewed Stan at his home and was able to view the records of the company that he had preserved.

Most of the multi-compartment cars were in the GRYX 800 series; at least that is the evidence from the photos in Stan’s album.
GRYX 805, the car Stan donated to the B&O museum is probably typical of the genealogy of many of the cars in the Grace fleet. According to Stan, “It was built in 1920 as a 12,000 gallon fuel oil car for the T&NO. Gus Schott of El Dorado, Arkansas bought the tank and built his own underframe for it. Grace bought the car and made a two compartment car out of it. The original tank was double riveted which was unusual for a car of its age….and it leaked like a sieve! The car was taken to the Warren Tank Car Company in Warren, Pennsylvania where every rivet was welded inside and out, and from that point on the car was leakproof! The B&O Museum loves the car because they can use it to store two different grades of diesel oil.”

I made a presentation on the Grace Tank Car Lines at the Lisle Prototype Modelers Meet in 2009 and Stan was in attendance for one of the sessions. If anyone has questions about the company I would be glad to share any further information I have.

Charlie Vlk