Midland Terminal Ore Car identification

mmihalo763@...

From the mid 1930s on, the Midland Terminal RR of Colorado began building a collection of second hand steel hopper and gondola cars to replace their aged fleet of wood cars.   Among these cars were Ingoldsby Steel ore cars, likely from the Colorado & Southern that used them for iron ore movements from the Sunrise Mine in Wyoming, Rio Grande 36' GS drop bottom gondolas, Ralston steel drop bottom gondolas, and finally we come to this series of car.   Can anyone identify the possible origins of these cars?  They are reminiscent a cut down version of cars that were owned by the Nevada Northern.  Otherwise it looks like cars I've seen on the Copper Range, Tonopah & Tidewater and the Butte, Anaconda & Pacific.   These cars arrived in 1935 or so, and Mel McFarlands book on the line lists these cars as part of an order that came from the D&RGW for GS gons, which they very obviously aren't

https://digital.denverlibrary.org/digital/collection/p15330coll22/id/67485

https://digital.denverlibrary.org/digital/collection/p15330coll22/id/67487

David

These cars are cut down from the NYC System version of the 1905 Common Design twin hopper. The build date of 9-10 suggests an origin in CCC&StL 75000-75499 built on AC&F Lot 5703.

David Thompson

Ray Hutchison

Very interesting photograph/car.  Were there other railroads that made similar modification to hopper cars?

Ray and friends,

Nevada Northern? Try these. Sorry for the low quality, but I was only about 15 years old at the time and just learning how to use a camera.

Kennecott Copper also used these cars at the nearby McGill concentrator, probably from the same as the NN cars. Note the footboards.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 7:41 AM Ray Hutchison <rayhutchison2@...> wrote:
Very interesting photograph/car.  Were there other railroads that made similar modification to hopper cars?

Kenneth Montero

The cars show that they were built in September of 1910, if that helps.

Ken Montero

From the mid 1930s on, the Midland Terminal RR of Colorado began building a collection of second hand steel hopper and gondola cars to replace their aged fleet of wood cars.   Among these cars were Ingoldsby Steel ore cars, likely from the Colorado & Southern that used them for iron ore movements from the Sunrise Mine in Wyoming, Rio Grande 36' GS drop bottom gondolas, Ralston steel drop bottom gondolas, and finally we come to this series of car.   Can anyone identify the possible origins of these cars?  They are reminiscent a cut down version of cars that were owned by the Nevada Northern.  Otherwise it looks like cars I've seen on the Copper Range, Tonopah & Tidewater and the Butte, Anaconda & Pacific.   These cars arrived in 1935 or so, and Mel McFarlands book on the line lists these cars as part of an order that came from the D&RGW for GS gons, which they very obviously aren't