Topics

Milk Containers on Flat Cars - Help with Colors

webotkin

Hi,

 I am modeling some milk container cars on the flat cars owned by National Car Company that the DL&W used to carry in their milk trains in the early 1950’s.  Funaro and Camerlengo (F&C) has produced these cars in HO as resin kits.  In the process of painting the kits, the question is what color are the containers and what were they lettered.

In a review of the kits in RMC in the July 1989 issue written by Rusty Recordon, he indicated that the in the 1950’s era, the containers were very weathered, without any lettering and appeared to be a Pullman green color based on his viewing some color movies from the period.  I have be unable to locate any color photos of these cars and there are few black and white images available.

The Lackawanna served several dairies in the period including Dairymen’s League, Sheffield and Borden’s.  According to the F&C instructions, the Dairymen’s League, Sheffield and Borden’s containers were all white with black lettering, though even in the few black and white images I have found, the Borden’s containers don’t appear white, but something much darker in shade – perhaps very weathered white?

 If anyone has better information on this topic, I would appreciate it.  I have posted a photo from the F&C website of the Borden’s containers as a reference.

Thanks.

William E. Botkin

Centennial, CO

Roger Robar

William, I would suggest you check/call Bob’s Photo’s, P.O. Box 52, Wallingford, KY 41093  606-845-3323  Bob only does business over the phone. I know in years past he had many colored milk car photos.

Roger Robar

[...]

Donald B. Valentine

    Renken’s Dairy also used the roll-on, roll-off milk containers. In several

Photos I have seen of both the Renken and some Borden’s containers seem

to indicate a red color which is also believed to have been used by Sealtest

for cars used by the General Ice Cream Co. that supplied the base mix for

ice cream to ice cream makers.

   Hope this helps rather than leaving you more puzzled as color photos are

rare. Be aware that there were at least two and I think three styles of tanks

used as well. Randy has photos of one and I have drawings for another

received from Fruit Growers Express, which basically owned National Car,

long gone facility at Potomac Yard.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Don Burn

From the old MilkTrains group when it was on Yahoo:

Borden cars were painted white(cream?) with Black letterring. In the 1940's, Bordens painted these cars a reddish orange with yellow letterring which was changed to a silver with black letters by the mid fifties.

I suspect you are seeing photos of the silver colored cars.

Don Burn

[...]

I know of at least 4 types of tanks:

1.       The “side door” tanks that Sealtest used these seem to be the smallest.  See http://users.rcn.com/jimdu4/MilkTrains/NX_1487.htm for a model.

2.       The tanks as F&C modeled them see http://users.rcn.com/jimdu4/MilkTrains/National_Car.htm

3.       An extended version of the tanks above that had the tank stick out from the base some on the end without the door.

4.       What I call the Borden’s Breadloaf which was a tank with fairly straight sides, and rounded ends (that reminds me of a loaf of bread).

I would recommend the Railway Milk Car series of books done by Bob’s Photos.

Don Burn

    Renken’s Dairy also used the roll-on, roll-off milk containers. In several

Photos I have seen of both the Renken and some Borden’s containers seem

to indicate a red color which is also believed to have been used by Sealtest

for cars used by the General Ice Cream Co. that supplied the base mix for

ice cream to ice cream makers.

   Hope this helps rather than leaving you more puzzled as color photos are

rare. Be aware that there were at least two and I think three styles of tanks

used as well. Randy has photos of one and I have drawings for another

received from Fruit Growers Express, which basically owned National Car,

long gone facility at Potomac Yard.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Tim O'Connor

I think the aluminum painted cars were for the Chemical Division - I think this was the final paint scheme.

On 7/9/2020 3:49 PM, Don Burn wrote:
From the old MilkTrains group when it was on Yahoo:

[...]

Sterling, Massachusetts

Don Burn

Tim,

I have seen photos that were definitely not white, but with black lettering that said Borden's Milk I suspect the silver was a transitional scheme as the cars moved towards the chemical division.

Don Burn