MILW Gondola Painting

Nelson Moyer

I’m painting the RCW MILW composite gondola, and I’d like to know if the wood parts (sides and floor) were painted on the inside of the car body. I’m guessing it was, but the paint didn’t last very long, so in service appearance would be weathered wood with little paint.

Same question for the RCW NYC steel gondola with wood floor. Was the wood floor painted?

Nelson Moyer

Brian Shumaker

Nelson,
I would certainly assume they were painted initially, repaints probably not. The Milw gons were used primarily for hauling coal and cinders and the abrasive and caustic nature of those materials would scrub the paint off in short order, so unless you’re modeling a newish car, I’d stick with well weathered wood.
Brian

Nelson Moyer

Thanks, Brian. That was my original intention, but I got ahead of myself and painted the whole car MILW freight car red. That makes masking to do the wood more difficult, as the drop doors are steel and presumably painted with some paint residual evident in service. It looks like I’ll have to mask and make the best of it. It would have been much easier to do the wood first, then mask and do the steel.

Nelson Moyer

I would certainly assume they were painted initially, repaints probably not. The Milw gons were used primarily for hauling coal and cinders and the abrasive and caustic nature of those materials would scrub the paint off in short order, so unless you’re modeling a newish car, I’d stick with well weathered wood.
Brian

Tim O'Connor

Here are model and prototype views of weathered plywood interiors.

Tim O'Connor

On 11/22/2021 2:54 PM, Nelson Moyer wrote:

I’m painting the RCW MILW composite gondola, and I’d like to know if the wood parts (sides and floor) were painted on the inside of the car body. I’m guessing it was, but the paint didn’t last very long, so in service appearance would be weathered wood with little paint.

Same question for the RCW NYC steel gondola with wood floor. Was the wood floor painted?

Nelson Moyer

Sterling, Massachusetts

lrkdbn

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 07:53 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Here are model and prototype views of weathered plywood interiors.

Tim O'Connor

On 11/22/2021 2:54 PM, Nelson Moyer wrote:

I’m painting the RCW MILW composite gondola, and I’d like to know if the wood parts (sides and floor) were painted on the inside of the car body. I’m guessing it was, but the paint didn’t last very long, so in service appearance would be weathered wood with little paint.

Same question for the RCW NYC steel gondola with wood floor. Was the wood floor painted?

Nelson Moyer

Sterling, Massachusetts
Based on looking at many pictures of NYC composite gondolas, I would say the general practice on NYC was to leave the inside unpainted. My personal thought is that painted wood would be slippery in wet weather.
Larry King

Tim O'Connor

Larry

You may be right, although I'm not sure how to walk on a vertical surface. 😂

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*