Topics

MM

Clark Propst

I've discovered the M&StL served the Minneapolis Moline plant near the Red Owl warehouse. I thought I might as well put down the products going into the plant while I have the book. After doing the Red Owl warehouse I was accustom to loads going in unless stated as out. There was a ramp by the station where they unloaded autos, have a photo. Lots of auto and implement loads. I kept thinking "Why all the implement loads?" Then there was the writing of a relief agent. He wrote down where all the loads  were for...or from. Implements were noted as MM. The light came on! All the implement loads were outbound!! So, after going though the majority of the book looking at wheels and tires I had to go back and add in all the implement loads. Some of the loads I feel are for their foundry? I haven't added number series for them yet. Doing this for the last hour and a half was enough for now.
Clark
M&StL SEAL BOOK RECORDS 6/13/1949 - 1/24/1950
Minneapolis Moline plant HOPKINS MINN.
DATE INITIALS NUMBER LADING SERIES
6/18/1949 GTW 591261 IMPLEMENTS
6/18/1949 RI 262793 IMPLEMENTS
6/28/1949 CGW 93007 TIRES
6/29/1949 RI 160332 WHEELS
6/29/1949 CWRN 188645 TIRES
6/29/1949 CGW 93007 IMPLEMENTS
6/30/1949 RI 160027 IMPLEMENTS
7/5/1949 CB&Q 39167 WHEELS
7/18/1949 CB&Q 32522 WHEELS
7/18/1949 MILW 718596 WHEELS
7/20/1949 WAB 45030 IMPLEMENTS
7/20/1949 WAB 48677 IMPLEMENTS
7/23/1949 RI 262104 IMPLEMENTS
7/23/1949 RI 160227 IMPLEMENTS
7/25/1949 RI 133968 FIRE BRICK
7/25/1949 RI 160365 FIRE BRICK
7/25/1949 RI 156298 FIRE BRICK
7/25/1949 RI 160146 FIRE BRICK
7/25/1949 RI 159327 FIRE BRICK
7/25/1949 RI 159805 FIRE BRICK
7/25/1949 RI 160302 FIRE BRICK
7/26/1949 RI 262033 IMPLEMENTS
7/27/1949 RI 262146 IMPLEMENTS
7/28/1949 MILW 592920 IMPLEMENTS
7/29/1949 RI 159069 IMPLEMENTS
8/6/1949 CGW 40524 CLAY
8/13/1949 NYC 110291 STEEL
8/23/1949 SP 665523 WOOL
9/7/1949 NYC 115640 IMPLEMENTS
9/14/1949 RI 62165 WHEELS
9/14/1949 UP 196880 IMPLEMENTS
9/19/1949 CB&Q 16375 IMPLEMENTS
9/24/1949 RI 159632 IMPLEMENTS
9/24/1949 NYC 101626 IMPLEMENTS
9/26/1949 RI 134552 WHEELS
9/26/1949 PRR 106407 IMPLEMENTS
9/30/1949 CNW 65094 WHEELS
9/30/1949 CMO 20964 WHEELS
10/8/1949 UP 350583 IMPLEMENTS
10/14/1949 C&EI 4065 IMPLEMENTS
10/14/1949 RI 140223 IMPLEMENTS
10/14/1949 GN 45394 IMPLEMENTS
10/24/1949 CG 40093 TIRES
10/24/1949 ERIE 79163 TIRES
10/24/1949 PRR 78251 TIRES
10/25/1949 NP 20475 ENGINES
10/28/1949 L&N 15942 PALLETS
10/31/1949 PRR 102934 WHEELS
10/31/1949 RI 134759 WHEELS
10/31/1949 GN 48613 WHEELS
11/3/1949 SP 30228 IMPLEMENTS
11/8/1949 SP 37950 ENGINES
11/8/1949 PRR 45769 SILICONE
11/11/1949 N&W 45428 ENGINES
11/17/1949 SAL 11331 ENGINES
11/18/1949 NYC 15068 IMPLEMENTS
11/18/1949 NYC 13319 IMPLEMENTS
11/21/1949 MILW 20815 WHEELS
11/21/1949 RI 160286 IMPLEMENTS
11/26/1949 CNW 65798 ENGINES
11/26/1949 CN 477929 ENGINES
11/28/1949 PM 83988 TIRES
11/28/1949 RI 160468 IMPLEMENTS
12/2/1949 T&NO 55038 ENGINES
12/3/1949 ACL 53284 DRILL BITS
12/3/1949 T&NO 56863 ENGINES
12/3/1949 CNW 107332 ENGINES
12/5/1949 MILW 18936 WHEELS
12/6/1949 NP 26081 TIRES
12/7/1949 KCS 17423 BELTS
12/19/1949 RI 157060 IMPLEMENTS
12/20/1949 RI 160087 IMPLEMENTS
12/20/1949 SP 100877 IMPLEMENTS
12/27/1949 MP 47241 IMPLEMENTS
12/27/1949 B&O 267034 IMPLEMENTS
12/28/1949 DSSA 18062 BOLTS
12/28/1949 NYC 157837 IMPLEMENTS
1/3/1950 GM&O 5019 WOOD FLOOR
1/3/1950 NYC 92075 CARBIDE
1/3/1950 GN 18076 IMPLEMENTS
1/7/1950 NP 15841 RIVETS
1/9/1950 CNW 41556 IMPLEMENTS
1/9/1950 GN 49346 IMPLEMENTS
1/10/1950 RI 159776 WHEELS
1/10/1950 MILW 25392 WOOD FLOOR
1/12/1950 MILW 593090 DRILL BITS
1/16/1950 RI 140606 WHEELS
1/21/1950 CNW 43310 IMPLEMENTS

Joseph

This was the Hopkins plant. Served by the M&StL on the north side and the Milwaukee on the south side.  MM had a “ downtown” plant as well.  The Bay window caboose underframes were built there
Some where i have a map of the Hopkins area....
Joe Binish

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 10:23 AM Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:
[...]

Charles Peck

So if I got this straight, all the implement loads were outbound from MM and everything else listed was inbound to MM. Is that correct?
Chuck Peck

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 11:23 AM Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:
[...]

That is my assumption. Why would a place manufacturing implements be bringing them in. These are seal book entries. The agent would record the inbound seal as well as the ones he put on the outbound loads. At least that’s how it worked where I worked.

I’ve now added the number series. Many are DD box cars, few flat cars.

Clark

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Clark Propst

I've finished the list, except for future corrections of course. I'm adding some comments for clarification and the new list. Clark

  Yes, they had a foundry there. Implements would be all outbound. It is 1949,  big years for farm equipment. Tires and wheels would be inbound to use on tractors and machinery. Firebrick, clay and silicone for the foundry and mold making. other stuff all inbound, rivets, drill bits, wood, steel wool, steel, bolts, belts. Engines would have been outbound. They made their own engines there. Would be interesting to find out what % of outbound was in boxcars and flatcars. Pallets would have been for machinery that was strapped to it and sent out unassembled.(small stuff like plows.) Brian

I would suggest some of the Wheel loads might be from Electric Wheel in Quincy Ill.  Who made the wheels for mounting the tires for the machinery. Steve

O Fenton Wells

Good info Clark thanks for sharing
Fenton

On Mar 5, 2021, at 9:59 AM, Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:

[...]

<MM.xlsx>

Steve and Barb Hile

Some interesting anomalies fall out of the data.

I don’t believe that the Rock Island served the plant in Hopkins, but 26 of the 86 cars listed are Rock Island cars.  No other railroad has more than 6 examples (CNW/CMO; MILW; NYC; SP/T&NO: 6 each.)

Of the Rock Island cars 8 are single door and 18 are double door.

4 are 50’ while 22 are 40’ cars

2 cars (the 155xxx series) are double sheathed USRA wood sided cars.  The other 24 are single sheathed wood cars.  No all steel RI boxcars.

The Rock Island cars are evenly divided, 13 loads in, 13 loads out.

Which RR’s served the plant?

Not that it matters (I don’t think) but the other plant of the Minneapolis Moline company is in (wait for it) Moline, Illinois, adjacent to several John Deere plants and served by the Burlington, Rock Island and (probably) the DRI&NW.

Steve Hile

[...]

Todd Sullivan

Steve,

I don't know if this was the case with MM, but where one RR served an industry with a big demand for empties, often, the RRs that were on the haul or where the loads terminated (= greater share of the freight charges), those RRs would be required to provide empty cars for the shipper.  That might explain all the RI cars.

Todd Sullivan

Jim Betz

Hi,
  When looking at the make up of an individual train or cut of cars - we
shouldn't pay too much attention to the mix of cars from a particular road.
  Most of the time the yard clerk assigns cars based upon convenience
and the car forwarding rules.  Only if the cars are marked/designated for
dedicated service does that come in to play.
  As you said - the road mix for these box cars is an "anomaly" ... or
perhaps we should just say that the mix on this particular day wasn't
so much 'rare' as much as it is 'interesting'?
  Only when we have data for a collection of trains over an extended
period of time can we reach any conclusions about the mix (and even
then it can be skewed).
                                                                                   - Jim

Steve and Barb Hile

Clark’s data does span 6 months of time.  Maybe long enough to spot a trend?

Steve Hile

  When looking at the make up of an individual train or cut of cars - we
shouldn't pay too much attention to the mix of cars from a particular road.
  Most of the time the yard clerk assigns cars based upon convenience
and the car forwarding rules.  Only if the cars are marked/designated for
dedicated service does that come in to play.
  As you said - the road mix for these box cars is an "anomaly" ... or
perhaps we should just say that the mix on this particular day wasn't
so much 'rare' as much as it is 'interesting'?
  Only when we have data for a collection of trains over an extended
period of time can we reach any conclusions about the mix (and even
then it can be skewed).
                                                                                   - Jim

Clark Propst

Steve Hile asked: “Which RR’s served the plant?”

The M&StL and the Milwaukee.

Clark

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Clark Propst

My original thought was the cars were part of a pool?

Clark

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Benjamin Hom

Clark Propst wrote:
"My original thought was the cars were part of a pool?"

That doesn't make sense if these were all plain boxcars.  Pool would make sense if they were specially equipped to ensure enough cars were available to support that traffic.

Ben Hom

Steve and Barb Hile

Here’s a few more thoughts about predominance of Rock Island cars.

At the time in question, MM was building tractors engines and threshing machines in Minneapolis and building other farm implements, like plows and planters in Moline.  What if the Implement loads WERE inbounds from Moline that were placed in the distribution warehouse in the Twin Cities?

The other Rock Island inbound loads include Firebrick and Wheels.  All of the inbound loads of Firebrick arrived in Rock Island Cars.  I wonder where those came from.

The RI cars held 40% of the inbound wheels (6 out of 15.)  This is pretty natural as the RI did serve both IH and Deere plants.  So, there cars could have been empty, nearby when there were wheels headed to MM.

Steve

"My original thought was the cars were part of a pool?"

That doesn't make sense if these were all plain boxcars.  Pool would make sense if they were specially equipped to ensure enough cars were available to support that traffic.

Ben Hom

Dennis Storzek

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 10:20 AM, Benjamin Hom wrote:
That doesn't make sense if these were all plain boxcars.  Pool would make sense if they were specially equipped to ensure enough cars were available to support that traffic.

We really don't know what each plant made, and I suspect a lot of those "implement" shipments are inter-plant moves; either items manufactured in Moline (on the Rock Island) being shipped to Hopkins for installation on, or sale with tractors built there, or the reverse. So, those implement shipments may well be inbound. If not, shipments to Moline would have been an excellent way for the local agent to route Rock Island cars home, no assigned service necessary.

Dennis Storzek

Douglas Harding

The Hopkins plant was served by the M&StL and the MILW. Here is a map of the property at Hopkins.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

[...]

Dave Nelson

You need about a 1000 non home road boxcars to get the trend.

Dave Nelson

Clark’s data does span 6 months of time.  Maybe long enough to spot a trend?

Steve Hile

  When looking at the make up of an individual train or cut of cars - we
shouldn't pay too much attention to the mix of cars from a particular road.
  Most of the time the yard clerk assigns cars based upon convenience
and the car forwarding rules.  Only if the cars are marked/designated for
dedicated service does that come in to play.
  As you said - the road mix for these box cars is an "anomaly" ... or
perhaps we should just say that the mix on this particular day wasn't
so much 'rare' as much as it is 'interesting'?
  Only when we have data for a collection of trains over an extended
period of time can we reach any conclusions about the mix (and even
then it can be skewed).
                                                                                   - Jim

cliffprather

In the list there was only one case where the same car brought in a load and later was loaded with an out bound load.

Todd Sullivan

Cliff,

So, what's your point?  I'm not being snarky here, I just don't understand.

That arrangement is OK, as long as the Car Distributor and customer agree on using the car that had just been unloaded for a load out.  It might have reduced the customer's switching charges, which the customer also might have wanted.

Todd Sullivan

cliffprather

It illustrates that the cars were not in a pool for the industry and that there were plenty of other sources on empty cars. I did not mean to imply that the cars came into the industry and were unloaded and loaded instead of being pulled after unloading.

cliff