Topics

Model Box Car End ID

golden1014

Astute STMFC Modelers,

These box car ends have been in my parts box for years.  Does anybody know the manufacturer?

Danke!
John Golden

Rich C

John, Looks like Intermountain PS-1 ends
Rich Christie

On Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 02:04:25 PM CST, golden1014 via groups.io <golden1014@...> wrote:

Astute STMFC Modelers,

These box car ends have been in my parts box for years.  Does anybody know the manufacturer?

Danke!
John Golden

O Fenton Wells

Could they be the C&BT or Front Range PS-1 boxcars ends, your not old enough for "years"
Just say'in  😙
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Benjamin Hom

Fenton Wells wrote:
"Could they be the C&BT or Front Range PS-1 boxcars ends, you['re] not old enough for 'years'."

C&BT did NOT have a PS-1 in the line.  The Front Range PS-1 was the same as the McKean kit, which did NOT feature separate ends.

Ben Hom

David

Yep, Intermountain PS-1 ends. I just pulled the exact same sprue out of an IM 40998 kit to confirm.

David Thompson

Tim O'Connor

unquestionably Intermountain :-)

On 2/17/2021 10:54 AM, golden1014 via groups.io wrote:
Astute STMFC Modelers,

These box car ends have been in my parts box for years.  Does anybody know the manufacturer?

Danke!
John Golden

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

golden1014

Hi Ben, and Everybody,

I’ve been posting like crazy but found out I was on Permanent Moderate.  I blame Tim O’Connor for that.  Yeah, you Tim!

Anyway I was paging through an RP Cyc recently and discovered those ends were used on CNW riveted PS-1s.  They certainly are an oddity.

The reason I’m asking is I’m considering kitbashing a B&O car for the B&O Modeler that has similar ends.  Not exact, but similar.

Thanks for the help!
John Golden

Tim O'Connor

John

Huh, what? Are you joking? I have no authority here. Only Jeff & Mike can do that.

Those PS-1 ends were used on everyone's riveted PS-1 box cars. :-D

They were also applied to some "kit" box cars... (e.g. IC)

On 2/26/2021 2:03 PM, golden1014 via groups.io wrote:
Hi Ben, and Everybody,

I’ve been posting like crazy but found out I was on Permanent Moderate.  I blame Tim O’Connor for that.  Yeah, you Tim!

Anyway I was paging through an RP Cyc recently and discovered those ends were used on CNW riveted PS-1s.  They certainly are an oddity.

The reason I’m asking is I’m considering kitbashing a B&O car for the B&O Modeler that has similar ends.  Not exact, but similar.

Thanks for the help!
John Golden

Sterling, Massachusetts

Dennis Storzek

On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 02:26 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Those PS-1 ends were used on everyone's riveted PS-1 box cars. :-D

I have a nit to pick... since the defining feature of a PS-1 boxcar is its welded construction, can there be a riveted PS-1? Or, is it simply an AAR boxcar with Pullman-Standard proprietary ends and roof? The AAR did draft new plates (drawing sheets) detailing those ends on the AAR standard car of the day. The sheets I saw were revised in 1962, just after the close of discussions here, but have had several earlier revisions.

Dennis Storzek