Topics

Model Railroad 10 Year Archive 2010-2019

John H. Reinhardt

On 5/5/2020 8:20 AM, Nelson Moyer wrote:

I purchased the subject DVD with the intent of loading the database to my desktop and searching across issues for freight car data like I do with the 40 year MR archive. Unfortunately, neither seems possible, as the disk is copy protected, and the only search function is for each individual monthly issue open as a pdf file. Even more objectionable to me is that the archive comes on two DVDs, meaning one must physically change DVDs to view the entire archive. None of this was revealed prior to purchase. Caveat Emptor!!

Nelson Moyer

_._,_._,_

I know it's been a while but I just got the 10-Year Archive 2010-2019 for my birthday and they arrived today.  I use a Mac so I haven't looked at what happens on a Windows or even Linux system, but my disks are NOT copy protected. There is no DRM that I can find.  I copied the contents of the two DVD (about 13.8GB) to my Mac's hard drive and I can open any issue with Apple's Preview (Adobe Acrobat clone) with no problem.  The PDF files are hidden in an invisible "PDFs" folder but I copied them out to a visible folder and everything still worked.  There is a basic "index" PDF, one for each disk, which links to "page" PDF files for each year.  The page PDF has a picture of each issue that you click and the appropriate issue opens up.  There is a one-page "How to Use" PDF which explains the basics.

As mentioned there is no in-depth index though so you need some other sort of index to find what you want unless you want to scan each issue.

I have access to the online all encompassing archive and the few issues that I have looked at seem to be of slightly better quality than the issues I have printed to PDF from the online archive.

I wish they had included the GMR and MRP yearly issues instead of the "Special" issues, but that's just me.

Nelson, if you find that hidden "PDFs" folder you should be able to copy it to the hard drive on your computer.

--
John H. Reinhardt
  PRRT&HS  #8909

Nolan Hinshaw

On Jul 13, 2020, at 12:53, John H. Reinhardt <@reinhardtjh> wrote:

I know it's been a while but I just got the 10-Year Archive 2010-2019 for my birthday and they arrived today.
[has no problems with it]

I can't be bothered; on the other hand, I'd buy a boxed set of discs of the first 40 or 50 years of high-quality reproductions without batting the proverbial eye. I, too, have access to the digital archive and keep looking at stuff yea, even unto volume 1 issue 1 on occasion, and keep finding gems.

John H. Reinhardt

On 7/14/2020 3:44 PM, Nolan Hinshaw via groups.io wrote:
On Jul 13, 2020, at 12:53, John H. Reinhardt <johnhreinhardt@...> wrote:

I know it's been a while but I just got the 10-Year Archive 2010-2019 for my birthday and they arrived today.
[has no problems with it]

I can't be bothered; on the other hand, I'd buy a boxed set of discs of the first 40 or 50 years of high-quality reproductions without batting the proverbial eye. I, too, have access to the digital archive and keep looking at stuff yea, even unto volume 1 issue 1 on occasion, and keep finding gems.

One part of me wishes I'd bought the original 1934-2009 DVD set, but then again those PDFs *WERE* encrypted and the only way to decode them was the app that came on the DVD.  Unfortunately, as a Mac user, that app only worked up until a certain version of MacOS (somewhere around 10.9 or 10.10 - 7 years ago) and they never updated it so it would be useless for me now.  I would also snap up an un-encrypted re-issue if they ever made it available.  But I am slowly doing a print to PDF of the online archive so at some point it won't really matter although I think the DVD results would be better.

--
John H. Reinhardt
  PRRT&HS  #8909