Topics

Monon 3680

Andy Carlson

Baby boomers of my age have a special understanding of the letter 'M'. My selection is the Monon with their funky gondola. Half way there!
Enjoy,
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA
Inline image

Jim Hayes

Andy, if you would include "(PHOTO)" in your subject, I could delete these without reading them like I do with most of Bob Chaparro's.
Jim

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 4:16 PM Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:
Baby boomers of my age have a special understanding of the letter 'M'. My selection is the Monon with their funky gondola. Half way there!
Enjoy,
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA
Inline image

Tim O'Connor

Some of these rebuilt flat cars were classified as LO (!!) at some point and carried a load
of 11 bulk material bins.

On 7/24/2020 7:16 PM, Andy Carlson wrote:
Baby boomers of my age have a special understanding of the letter 'M'. My selection is the Monon with their funky gondola. Half way there!
Enjoy,
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Sterling, Massachusetts

william darnaby

These cars were built as gons by Thrall in 1952 and, except for the covers and wood sides replaced by steel, looked pretty much as you see it in the photo.  IIRC, there is a builders photo in the '53 Cyc, perhaps in a Thrall ad.  The Monon also got a one off caboose from Thrall at the same time that is known by Monon modelers as the ugliest caboose on the roster.  The Indianapolis gas company had a gas production facility on the east side near the Big 4 main to Cincinnati that made gas by coking coal with the by-product of coke.  Some of these cars, as well as some 40' cars, were converted to haul coke mainly to the mills around Gary.  However, I have seen a video of a train on the NYC in Ohio with a coke car returning empty to Indy from the east.

Bill Darnaby

On Saturday, July 25, 2020, 07:59:17 AM CDT, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Some of these rebuilt flat cars were classified as LO (!!) at some point and carried a load
of 11 bulk material bins.

On 7/24/2020 7:16 PM, Andy Carlson wrote:
Baby boomers of my age have a special understanding of the letter 'M'. My selection is the Monon with their funky gondola. Half way there!
Enjoy,
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Sterling, Massachusetts

Bill

You are right, the builder photo is on page 173 of the 1953 Car Builder's Cyclopedia, in a Thrall advertisement.
Some of these cars remained as built for a long time, as seen in this 1971 photo.

With such LOW SIDES - you're saying they were built for coke?

On 7/25/2020 9:13 AM, william darnaby wrote:
[...]

Rich C

Another shot of those class LG gons

Rich Christie